t3/t4 turbo - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > MR2 Forum

MR2 Forum Forum for every generation Toyota MR2. Including the AW11 and SW20.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2007, 09:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View motortech mr2's Photo Gallery
t3/t4 turbo

im thinking about getting the street brawler t3/t4 turbo kit but im also trying to look for other similar turbos... i want sumthing that spools fast but that can boost hight psi. and keep boosting strong all the way till redline. is the t3/t4 kit the best for this or is there other kits that mite be better for what im looking for? also whether i get the t3/t4 kit or any other kit... should i go for the 45 trim or the 50 trim? is one for low end power and one for high end, whats the difference between these 2?
motortech mr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2007, 05:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Young At Heart

View Zz_005_zZ's Photo Gallery
good question

There are alot of options when it comes to upgrading your turbo, most people would say that it is better to lose a littler on the low end spooling to pull through the higher rpm's to redline. The best solution is to purchase a ball bearing turbo with a .45 trim (or near it) for your lower end spooling, and keeps at the higher rpm with no problem. This is an expensive upgrade, but I don't believe there is much as in faster spooling than the factory turbo, but u see what good that does u in higher rpm. This is the turbo that I would recommend to you... much this I am sure will be much disputed, as everyone has there own preferences.

http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=706
Old 01-23-2007, 10:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rockin the STi

View onehotcamry's Photo Gallery
i'd go with the street brawler turbo or check out www.atsracing.net for their kits as well.
04 Suzuki GSX-R600
onehotcamry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2007, 10:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
TN Post Wh*re

Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
View MRQtwinturbo's Photo Gallery
i have a 50 trim (.63 ar)..full boost at around 3500 rpm...slight lag but very streetable...
Old 01-23-2007, 05:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Young At Heart

View Zz_005_zZ's Photo Gallery
curious

What does everyone think of my choice?? As I am still factory turbo...With the specs listed on the turbo I would have chosen.. I figured it would be a great turbo, expensive new, but in my opinion, should be about right?? I would of course ask someone with an upgraded system b4 I purchased, but I was just curious.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
jdm 2nd gen ftw!

View nepopolus's Photo Gallery
i still am bent on getting a super 16g in my mr2 (mabe a 20g) cheap turbo's even new and amazing power gogo mitsu power with toyota reliablity
nepopolus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2007, 08:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
TN's Hapa Haole

Gameroom cash: $1591775
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
View MR2Jedi's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRQturbo
i have a 50 trim (.63 ar)..full boost at around 3500 rpm...slight lag but very streetable...
does that pull to redline or even past it ? What kind of HP are you getting with that set up?
MR2Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2007, 09:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rockin the STi

View onehotcamry's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zz_005_zZ
What does everyone think of my choice?? As I am still factory turbo...With the specs listed on the turbo I would have chosen.. I figured it would be a great turbo, expensive new, but in my opinion, should be about right?? I would of course ask someone with an upgraded system b4 I purchased, but I was just curious.
it doesn't seem like a bad turbo. I just went with my choice because of ATS's extensive research with mr2's and the ease of getting in contact with them through the boards or their cell phone #'s.

I'm happy with my setup. I would have rather ordered it all at once in their kit with everything, but it didn't work out that way because of my circumstances.

I might be making a trip to the local dyno in a little if all the kinks are worked out and funds approve so. I have bigger concerns like worrying about how much money i'll be spending at the bars in Montreal in March
04 Suzuki GSX-R600
onehotcamry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2007, 06:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
TN Post Wh*re

Lifetime Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2BAD
does that pull to redline or even past it ? What kind of HP are you getting with that set up?

i made 330rwhp at 17psi...conservative tuning...keep in mind my i'm still on stock cams/intake manifold...
Old 01-24-2007, 06:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
TN's Hapa Haole

Lifetime Supreme Member
Quote:
i made 330rwhp at 17psi...conservative tuning...keep in mind my i'm still on stock cams/intake manifold...
Wow! Do you plan on taking it further?
Old 01-24-2007, 07:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
TN Post Wh*re

Lifetime Supreme Member
i dont think so..my goal was the 350 range...if i wanted to break the 400 mark..i would have gotten after market cams....i'm getting too old for this....time to start looking at something newer...but with four doors....lol....i'm happy with how the car was running before i stored it..seems i've gotten all the minor bugs dealt with and she was running perfectly..we'll see how she does this spring/summer as she will be my primary daily driver.....i just wanted something very streetable and reliable...
Old 01-24-2007, 08:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
New TN User

Quote:

wow thats very impresive...thats exactly wat im looking for...wat turbo kit did u say u had...and wat else is stock or upgraded in your car...if i would get a set up like that what else would i have to modify?
Old 01-24-2007, 10:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
TN Post Wh*re

Lifetime Supreme Member
^^i have a custom stock manifold with ext w/g..full 3'' modified HKS dual dragger exhaust...built motor (pistons/rods/arp studs/cometic HG/titanium retainers/hks valve springs)..greddy IC...custom 780 CC top feed injectors/aeromotive FPR/extreme boost fuel rail...and last but not least....full EMS...hks f-con and innovative LM1 wideband....
Old 01-24-2007, 03:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
New TN User

oh lol...i thought you were gonna say u got that much hp with that turbo kit and just a couple of mods...i was about to go buy the kit the moment i read that....so then how much power do u estimate i'll be making on a STOCK turbo but with a good full exhaust system, cams and a boost controller? and if i were to upgrade my head gasket would it be safe AND/OR efficiant to run over 15psi. on this setup?
Old 01-24-2007, 05:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
TN's Hapa Haole

Lifetime Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by motortech mr2
oh lol...i thought you were gonna say u got that much hp with that turbo kit and just a couple of mods...i was about to go buy the kit the moment i read that....so then how much power do u estimate i'll be making on a STOCK turbo but with a good full exhaust system, cams and a boost controller? and if i were to upgrade my head gasket would it be safe AND/OR efficiant to run over 15psi. on this setup?
NO! Not safe to run over 15 psi with the stock turbo. The Turbine side hits choke point at around 5500rpm's and cannot evacuate the exhaust fast enough which could lead to detonation.
If you read the MR2 Primer, you can get close to 280hp with the stock turbo, bigger IC, fuel tuning, removing the restrictive B pipe,replace restrictive air box with a freer flowing Air Filter(eg. K&N cone), raising the boost with a boost controller of some type, and illiminating fuel cut. read it... there's some good info there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > MR2 Forum