1986 MR2 running problems...HELP!! - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
MR2 Forum Forum for every generation Toyota MR2. Including the AW11 and SW20.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-27-2009, 02:28 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
1986 MR2 running problems...HELP!!

hey everyone,

well I've had many ideas and tried many things to fix my running problems, but no success yet. this is my latest project aw11 and after running through a few of them i havent ran into this problem before.

it's a 4A-GE 16v engine,1986 Toyota MR2
symptoms are:

-rough idle (varies from 500-1500 rpm, but only after its warmed up).
-major hesitation on acceleration and seems like its running really rich.
-temp gauge stays at a good level, but overheat light comes on after a good long drive

so far i have tried replacing the O2 sensor, cleaning the EGR valve then replacing soon after, checking for vacuum leaks, running a fuel injection cleaner, adjusting timing, checked plugs, and making sure my grounds are all good, replaced the MAF sensor and replaced the water temp sensor also.

ANY IDEAS???? i jus cant figure it out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-27-2009, 08:07 AM
BRAKE/STEER/THROTTLE

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
try making sure your coolant is properly bled. also, make sure it's Toyota 'RED' coolant. after that, check your TPS adjustment. but, i think it's more the state of your coolant/antifreeze.
#3 Old 01-27-2009, 11:27 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
alright, yeah the previous owner changed the coolant just before i picked it up, but it's GREEN!

so i will give that a try. but why would it run properly and then all of the sudden start running funny?

another question, how do you adjust the TPS?
#4 Old 01-27-2009, 09:56 PM
BRAKE/STEER/THROTTLE

i'm sure someone here has a scanned copy of the BGB. you may not need to adjust it. there is a particular way to bleed the coolant. be sure to use the method in the BGB. i'm sure someone here also has the method that they can post. there are approximately 3 gallons of coolant in the MkI...improperly bled coolant will have air pockets. this affects things like your IAC.
#5 Old 01-28-2009, 12:06 AM
Official TN Member

you dont HAVE to have toyota red coolant
#6 Old 01-28-2009, 07:11 AM
BRAKE/STEER/THROTTLE

i completely disagree.

Last edited by ToyotaTechGeek; 01-28-2009 at 07:13 AM.
#7 Old 01-28-2009, 11:00 AM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
first of all... what water temp sensor did you replace? There are about 5 of them and each has a specific use.....

secondly.... you don't have to run toyota red coolant as long as all of the toyota red coolant has been flushed..... however, in no way shape or form use GM crap... I usually use prestone and have zero problems -- they too have additives.... the electronics (especially in an older toyota) don't care what sort of additives are in there or not, they were designed for green coolant in the 80's.

next, ensure that you adjust your timing in base timing (you should hear the idle drop when you jumper the diag connector).... if the engine doesn't drop into base timing there's a chance that the tps is malfunctioning.... if it does and base timing looks good (and isn't jumping around) then unplug the tps and see what happens.

having air gaps in the coolant would cause problems like a rough or bouncy idle, possibly slightly running rich, but wouldn't cause poor acceleration.......

1) 2004 IS300 Manual/LSD/Sportdesign 2) 2010 Corolla S 5 speed 3) 1986 MR2 "MK1.22" 5sfe/s54 swap 3) 1995 Ford Explorer 4x4, TT/AAL/custom shackle lift, 31"s
#8 Old 01-28-2009, 02:38 PM
BRAKE/STEER/THROTTLE

the seals don't appreciate the extra silicates.
#9 Old 01-28-2009, 02:47 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
ok so i tried something out.

i took and ECU out of an 89 corolla GTS (with the 4age in it)
and stuck it in my 2. my bouncing idle went away and it stays steady at 1100rpm after it warms up.

it doesnt hesitate anymore either, although not everything was make right again.
my check engine light stays on? although the car has never ran so good.

any ideas?
#10 Old 01-28-2009, 04:14 PM
Senior TN Member

ecu problem? grounding issue?

1) 2004 IS300 Manual/LSD/Sportdesign 2) 2010 Corolla S 5 speed 3) 1986 MR2 "MK1.22" 5sfe/s54 swap 3) 1995 Ford Explorer 4x4, TT/AAL/custom shackle lift, 31"s
#11 Old 01-28-2009, 04:16 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaTechGeek View Post
the seals don't appreciate the extra silicates.
in terms of coolant you have a few "paper" based gaskets for inlets and outlets, a t-stat seal, a headgasket, and a few seals on teh waterpump.....

i'm willing to "take the risk".....

#12 Old 01-28-2009, 09:33 PM
BRAKE/STEER/THROTTLE

i don't take the risk. hence the name. Toyota through and through.
#13 Old 01-29-2009, 05:25 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
i don't take the risk. hence the name. Toyota through and through.
Toyota through and through.....

oh that's right.... Aisin makes a lot of their parts.... ART makes a lot of their pistons.... their seals aren't made by toyota.... they use NTK/NGK plugs...... toyoda makes (or made) many of their pumps & caps......

well... maybe TRD USA makes some parts..... oh wait, nope. Not a single thing they sell for TRD USA is even designed by Toyota... only given to the companies with what they want.....

Screw dealership prices on parts..... I'll go through someone like Worldpac and save the money to get the exact same stuff that Toyota will sell you, only the box won't say "toyota" on it.

let me back up a minute here.....

there's nothing wrong with buying all your parts from Toyota..... however, if anyone believes that everything they sell you is 100% obtainable only through them and that they actually make/produce the parts you are buying and that is the purpose of the high prices, then you are 100% wrong..... most manufacturers have other companies make the parts, which costs car companies less to actually produce the car itself.... that being said, the same exact parts are almost always obtainable from other means without the Toyota name.....

I see any car company selling parts very similar to Sony..... Sony has high prices because of their name, not because their current quality is high (quality is not the metaphor here.... branding is), even though other companies selling for less may have as good or better quality than the almost identical Sony product. Again similarly those 2 competing products probably have identical inside chips/etc as one another.....

Last edited by toyotaspeed90; 01-29-2009 at 05:31 PM.
#14 Old 01-29-2009, 09:15 PM
BRAKE/STEER/THROTTLE

wow.

i don't pay retail for my Toyota parts. I raced for TRD, USA in '89 and the early 90's. i buy Aisin and Denso from other sources than the stealership. sheesh i remember when HKS was advertised in the TRD catalogues as was MSD. don't preach to me about what most newbies wouldn't have a clue about. damn.

furthermore:
didn't you forget that OEM plugs also include Denso? wait, you're right...Nippondenso. how about that whole thing about "Toyoda"? merely a manufacturer of caps? or is it that the name "Toyota" is actually a doctored-up version of "Toyoda"? what about that whole superstitious culture that would change Toyoda to Toyota due to the chinese characters not having the 'favorable' number? TRD USA is an entity that existed only as a subsidiary of TRD, Japan/Toyota Technocraft. it became TRD USA/Toyota Motorsports. any 'serious' TRD parts will have the Technocraft name on the packaging. TRD USA currently is only a sticker company. the company stopped grassroots level of support by mid to late 90's.

so, aren't you describing just about every other auto manufacturer out there? for example, you think MOPAR is made 100% by dodge/chrysler/(and i guess what used to be) plymouth? off the top of my head, no auto manufacturer is 100% self-sufficient. from my knowledge, the majority of the various Toyota vehicles i own/have owned/have serviced (due to being in the family 'fleet') have NOT had paper-based t-stat seals/gaskets.

again, don't preach to me about what most newbies wouldn't have a clue about. damn.

Last edited by ToyotaTechGeek; 01-31-2009 at 02:10 AM.
#15 Old 02-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
wow.

i don't pay retail for my Toyota parts. I raced for TRD, USA in '89 and the early 90's. i buy Aisin and Denso from other sources than the stealership. sheesh i remember when HKS was advertised in the TRD catalogues as was MSD. don't preach to me about what most newbies wouldn't have a clue about. damn.

furthermore:
didn't you forget that OEM plugs also include Denso? wait, you're right...Nippondenso. how about that whole thing about "Toyoda"? merely a manufacturer of caps? or is it that the name "Toyota" is actually a doctored-up version of "Toyoda"? what about that whole superstitious culture that would change Toyoda to Toyota due to the chinese characters not having the 'favorable' number? TRD USA is an entity that existed only as a subsidiary of TRD, Japan/Toyota Technocraft. it became TRD USA/Toyota Motorsports. any 'serious' TRD parts will have the Technocraft name on the packaging. TRD USA currently is only a sticker company. the company stopped grassroots level of support by mid to late 90's.

so, aren't you describing just about every other auto manufacturer out there? for example, you think MOPAR is made 100% by dodge/chrysler/(and i guess what used to be) plymouth? off the top of my head, no auto manufacturer is 100% self-sufficient. from my knowledge, the majority of the various Toyota vehicles i own/have owned/have serviced (due to being in the family 'fleet') have NOT had paper-based t-stat seals/gaskets.

again, don't preach to me about what most newbies wouldn't have a clue about. damn.
not preaching to you... I know you know.... but making a statement to anyone reading this that the red toyota coolant is more of a "buy our stuff because this is what we recommend"... hopefully getting the newbies thinking a little bit differently -- for instance why purchase a toyota part when it has a non toyota brand stamped on it, and that other company is available from XXX retailers.....

no... the t-stat gaskets are almost always rubber/silicone in toyotas, but usuallyt he WP and other inlet/outlets are.....

Plus stuff like Prestone meets or exceeds all OE standards.... so.....

I also already stated that other manufacturers do the same thing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > MR2 Forum