Toyota Nation Forum banner

3sge aw11

110K views 285 replies 18 participants last post by  not12listen 
#1 ·
firstly, no this is NOT the BEAMS engine.

secondly, anyone who suggests using a different engine, please close the browser. :) i am set with this engine and will finish this swap...

thirdly, its a 1st Gen 3sge from an 88 Celica GTS... i chose this engine on purpose...

forthly, anyone who suggests using a different engine, please close the browser. :) i am set with this engine and will finish this swap...

below is the original post concern this swap...
----

i plan on transplanting a 3s-ge into my mr2. i've learned a lot with that little demon out there. i've no doubt that i could learn a lot more in its current standing. i am hitting a noticable limit where i do need more power.

but, as some people know, i'm not a power hungry fiend, and i take what i learn in stages.

so, 140-150hp seems reasonable, and with the fact that i plan on keeping in NA, i can stab the throttle and not force myself to learn finite foot control.

i've talked to a few people about it.

most everyone has said the same thing - get a turbo. it seems that few are listening. i do not like the feel of the turbo. it lags far too much in lower rpm, and the sudden surge of power could easily spell injury (or worse) for me. this is because of my lack of experience driving a turbo.

i've thought about supercharging my mr2. and for a while, it really seemed like the thing to do. but, something has changed that. i didnt like the feeling of increasing the power so suddenly - again, lack of proper foot control.

even after i've driven our AllTrac Celica for a while, and have gotten comfortable with the feel of a turbo, i am still not a fan of the whole 'turbo' thing.

(time to rant!)

one thing i've noticed from most people that increase the power of their motors, they dont put the slightest thought to the brakes.

i recall when i got my mr2, that the first upgrade i did was to the tires (ie. wider and stickier tires), then right to upgrading the brakes. suspension followed in very short order... and, its been a slow process ever since.

this is one reason why i've focussed so much time and effort into upgrading my brakes. hence, the 2 sets of dual piston calipers that are in the front room. i'm going to mount a set on the front and rear, then make my parking brake hydraulic. it should all be quite interesting. i even have the brake master cylinder from a non-abs 91 turbo mr2.

this brake master cylinder has a larger opening for fluid to pass thru. this means i have to press less on the brake pedal to attain the same amount of force exerted on the brakes. and with the fact that there are 2 pistons, it means greater clamping force, which turns into later braking with less effort on my part. also, with this upgrade, i'm also moving over to vented discs front and rear, which means i can balance the braking potential of front vs rear more to what i feel comfortable with.

this is attained thru the purchase and installation of a brake bias adjuster, with a manual dial adjuster mounted in the cabin near the center console. this allows me to be able to adjust the balance of the brakes while driving too!

along the way, i'm going to purchase a TRD LSD for my mr2. running with an open differential really isnt comfortable. and lord knows that i'm going to need it once this brake setup is complete.

in order to properly handle the power i'm planning on producing in my mr2, i'm also going to fit some 225 width tires on the rear.

and now... the area that i know virtually nothing about... transmissions! what sort of gear ratios/acceleration do i want? one would think (myself at that) that Toyota has chosen specific gear ratios for specific reasons. my guess is that the ratios match the power output of the motor its been mated to, to create a comfortable and drivable setup. i can only hope that 1st, 2nd and 3rd have the same aggressive acceleration that my mr2 has currently.

so, in a nutshell, there is the majority of the plans for my mr2 and all the little thoughts bouncing around in my head...

See less See more
#29 ·
and yet another update. the injectors that i sent off to Witch Hunter were the wrong ones.

the 86 & 87 Celica GTS used the 250cc injectors, while the 88 & 89 Celica GTS used 295cc injectors. drat!

so, i purchased another 295cc injector and will send all of the injectors (including the cold start injector) off to Witch Hunter when a bit of cash is available.

once all of the injectors come back, it will be time once again to comb through the BGB and make sure that i have EVERYTHING sorted out and connected... then put the whole setup into the AW11. :)

#33 ·
tonight's progress!

intake manifold removed - incorrect fuel injectors exposed

intake manifold removed - incorrect fuel injectors removed

cleaned and balanced fuel injectors and the oil to lube the o-rings

intake manifold removed - correct fuel injectors installed

intake manifold removed - correct fuel injectors and phenolic spacer installed

correct fuel injectors, intake manifold and phenolic spacer installe

correct fuel injectors, intake manifold and phenolic spacer installed

correct fuel injectors, intake manifold and phenolic spacer installed

#34 · (Edited)
forgot to post the specs of the newly cleaned and balanced the injectors...

0 of the 4 injectors were leaking upon arrival - 0 of the 4 were leaking afterward

all 4 injectors had good spray pattern upon arrival

static flow before:
1: 102
2: 98
3: 97.5
4: 97

static flow after:
1: 105.2
2: 101.5
3: 102
4: 101

pulsed flow before:
1: 120
2: 117.5
3: 116
4: 115

pulsed flow after:
1: 121
2: 120
3: 120.5
4: 120

cc/min @ 43.5 psi:
1: 307.5
2: 304.5
3: 306
4: 303

static variance before: 4.9%

static variance after: 1.5%

pulsed variance before: 4.2%

pulsed variance after: 0.8%

btw - the factory injectors are rated at 295cc/min. so, i'm ahead of the curve already. :)

honestly, not a huge improvement across the board, but its still peace of mine and money well spent. :)

also, the cold start injector was cleaned and is all shiny! there are no flow benchmarks for it, as it is only used on initial startup, so the amount of fuel that is demanded from it is minimal.

#35 ·
upon arriving at the office today, i was greeted with this green box.

instead of filling this with useless words, i'll let the photos do the talking. :)

as anyone can guess, this is the FGK/Fujitsubo exhaust system that will be going onto my 3SGE. :)

#36 ·
tonights progress...

basically, the old exhaust manifold was removed. the alternator tensioner assembly was removed and spray painted with rust-oleum, the alternator was replaced with a re-manufactured Denso alternator, and the FGK 4-2 header and the rest of the alterantor bits were re-installed.

#38 ·
thanks for the vote of confidence. :)

i've been a passenger in a 3sgte MKI Mr2 before, and i realized very quickly that i could not effectively drive/control a car with that sort of power/setup. the power surge was too sudden and that would spell bad times with my lack of throttle control...

and honestly, i don't like forced induction for the twisty stuff. :)

#40 ·
my brand new fuel pressure regulator arrived today! i'm also replacing the fuel line between the fuel hardline and pressure regulator (got that line for free too!).

4 quick pix for those of you wondering what, if any, fitment issues exist with this setup and an FGK/Fujitsubo header...

#46 ·
after some poking and prodding of the internet, i've solved my coolant hose problem. i'll post the details of it later.

this solution will allow me to keep the factory location of the coolant filler cap and overflow tank as well.

oh, my braided steel clutch line arrived today as well!

#47 ·
i've just sorted out where the starter will rest. on the Celica GTS, it rested beneath the exhaust manifold. but, this is a 1994 Mr2 NA transmission - and with the Mr2, the starter rests above the transmission. because of this, i now need a custom dust shield for the area where the starter would go on the celica (ie. under the exhaust manifold) as this leaves a big hole exposing the clutch/flywheel assembly. time to break out some cardboard to make a template!

thankfully, with the starter location sorted out, i now know that i can fully (and easily) assemble the exhaust without worries of the starter resting beneath it - otherwise, this would've been a huge PITA due to lack of space.

just ordered the mechanical speedo drive gear, the lower transmission dust shield and the bolt that holds the transmission and engine together (it goes behind the clutch slave cylinder) from Josh at ChicoRaceWorks!

also, my braided steel clutch line arrived the other day... once the weather allows me, i'll be installing that onto the Mr2.
and i'm sending off the header to be cleaned up and thermal coated at the beginning of november! i will also be sending off my fuel feed/return lines to be custom made out of braided steel telfon coated lines. i am fully aware that this is absolute overkill - that is exactly why i'm doing it. i won't have to replace those lines again for the life of the car.
and they won't absorb or dissipate anything at all.

still need to get a fuel pump from the 89 Celica GTS and a battery, then the coolant and heater core lines...

not too shabby of a list overall...

#48 ·
its been a little while since i've updated this...

transmission lower dust shield, transmission to engine bolt and the mechanical speedo gear have arrived.

header was sent off to get ceramic coated, and its already back and on the engine.

i've determined which primary coolant lines i need. and also sorted out the heater core lines as well.

MKII Mr2 shifter cables were purchased and arrived. this was needed because the MKI Mr2 shifter cables are too short.

and here are some photos of the headers that arrived just yesterday...

#53 ·
as of just a short while ago, i officially have a working shifter that engages each gear!

i removed the original AW11 shifter cables, as they were too short, and installed SW20 (NA) shifter cables, as they are longer.

while, it is wonderful to have a working shifter again, unfortunately the 'forward/reverse' selection cable is a bit too short - about 3/4 of an inch. a small obstacle. :) if time/weather permits, i'll swap out the electronic speedo gear and put in the mechanical speedo gear in its place, then attach the speedo cable accordingly.

#54 ·
i purchased a full MKII shifter base and lever from Josh @ Chicoraceworks and swapped over just the lever. i did not want to drill the MKII mounting plate, hence why i did not use it.

anywho... swapped over the shifter lever and removed the drop plate that was added to my MKI shifter mounting plate. now, i can shift normally into each gear!

i am NOT using the drop plate as i personally saw/felt no advantage whatsoever. it DOES relocate the entire shift lever 3/8" lower than stock -from what i can tell, it does NOT shorten the throw of the shifter at all. if someone is interested in it, i am willing to sell it.

so far my setup is: 3sge engine (86-89 celica gts) + s54 transmission (MKII Mr2 NA), MKII shifter cables, MKI shifter mounting plate, MKII shift lever.

just to be clear, swapping over the shifter lever is VERY simple:
remove the center tunnel cover (philips head screw driver + possibly remove the seats)
4x12mm bolts (holding the mounting plate to the chassis)
4x12mm bolts + 2x12mm nuts (holding the shifter lever assembly to the mounting plate)

if anyone wants photos, let me know and i'll post some up.

if the weather allows, this weekend, i will working on this list:
reinstall the center tunnel cover and storage box
bolt the driver side seat to the chassis
install the braided steel clutch line + bleed the clutch
remove all the factory wheel studs (many are snapped or rusted)
install the new factory wheel studs + new lug nuts
install the accelerator cable and pedal

#55 ·
Walbro 190lph fuel pump has been ordered. should arrive in the next few days. going to drop the fuel tank out completely to have it neutralized and inspected. going to purchase some Magnacor ignition wires soon as well as the coolant lines in the engine bay.

other than the front and rear mounts, 99% of the mechanical stuff will be finished.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.