Toyota Nation Forum banner

Safe boost on stock 3S-GTE?

33K views 27 replies 4 participants last post by  TheEngineer 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a Celica with a 1995 MR2 3S-GTE motor in it. The engine it self is stock like internals like pistons and all. It does have a K&N air filter and a 3" exhaust. I bought a boost controller and was wondering what a safe boost would be. I don't care about the turbo, I just don't want to blow the engine it self. If the turbo goes out that's fine. Can any one help?
Thanks much,
-Gordon

#2 ·
Hi, I have a Celica with a 1995 MR2 3S-GTE motor in it. The engine it self is stock like internals like pistons and all. It does have a K&N air filter and a 3" exhaust. I bought a boost controller and was wondering what a safe boost would be. I don't care about the turbo, I just don't want to blow the engine it self. If the turbo goes out that's fine. Can any one help?
Thanks much,
-Gordon
Not fine.
If you blow your turbo, it'll more than likely take the engine with it.
16 psi is the max you should run the CT26-IF it's in good condition with good seals & float bearing.
After that, it's out of it's efficiency island, it runs out of breath and the charge becomes to hot.
I would recommend setting the boost pressure at 15psi.
Are you still using the primary cat?

#4 ·
Cat? Like cat back exhaust?
I put in a manual boost controller today. It boosted to 15 psi and it cut out I think. I immediately let off the gas when it did it. It felt like I either kind of put on the brake or let off the gas real fast (before I actually did let off the gas). I turned the boost controller down and tried it again, did the same thing.

#10 · (Edited)
#24 · (Edited)
This is exactly how I hooked my boost controller up. And the T-VSV I think it was called I never touched. I left it hooked up the way it was. What ever it goes to, I think he intake manifold. It goes back under the engine pretty much so I couldn't tell.

This is not the correct way to hook up a MBC, with it hooked up lke this you should still be running off wastegate boost pressure

You don't need to worry about the ct26 hurting your motor, I recently built an engine for my mr2, and I was trying everything I could to blow up my old motor, I adjusted the boost controlled so it would boost whatever the turbo was capable of, I can't remember exactly how boost it was building, iirc it was spiking at ~22psi and then would drop to ~18. But that turbo, as far as flow is concerned, will not be able to move enough air to hurt your engine. There is someone on a mr2 forum that has a precision sc61(basically GT35r) and his only internal engine mods are HKS 272 cams, and he makes mid-400WHP, I don't know how long the engine will last like that, but time will tell.

^^I'm NOT telling you to run it at it's limits, or that you won't blow your motor, but that's my experience...

If you would like a easy sleeper upgrade for a turbo, the ATS ct27 or the JDM ct20b turbo's are both very responsive turbo's and are capable of making 275-300whp

Reactions: Rislove
#16 · (Edited)
Thanks much,
-Gordon

We did answer your question. Safe boost for engine with this turbo is 15psi
Yeah but every time any thing was said about it was what should be ran on the ct26 turbo itself with out hurting the turbo, I was wanting to know not to hurt my engine. That way if I did get a bigger turbo I new what to run it at without hurting my engine. I think I need a new turbo any ways. Doesn't seem to boost like it use to by it self.
Well thank you all. Everything helped a LOT!!!
A diiferent turbo will be a different boost level.
If you go with a bigger turbo, unless you upgrade fuel system, you will not be able to run more boost. Probably less boost.

Stock internals for the 3sgte engine are good to about 400hp when properly tuned .
Different turbos will give different amounts of HP at different boost levels.
There are many factors that contribute HP and boost .

#17 ·
We did answer your question. Safe boost for engine with this turbo is 15psi

A diiferent turbo will be a different boost level.
If you go with a bigger turbo, unless you upgrade fuel system, you will not be able to run more boost. Probably less boost.

Stock internals for the 3sgte engine are good to about 400hp when properly tuned .
Different turbos will give different amounts of HP at different boost levels.
There are many factors that contribute HP and boost .
Oh ok. I thought that if I stuck something different in there and say boosted to 20psi I thought maybe I would blow my engine or something. Well that helps even more. So what exactly would I have to upgrade, just fuel pump and injectors?

#21 ·
Yeah stock they run like 216HP I believe. I already have a 3" exhaust all the way out the back. Only thing restricting left is a FlowMaster muffler. I have been looking for a header. Kind of hard to find though sense it's turbo charged, don't want to have to change everything like the exhausts position. If I bought a header though it probably would move the position of the turbo a little though anyways.

#25 ·

The blue lines are how it should be hooked up, and I wasn't sure how your MBC is built inside, but I labeled the in/out on it for reference, it may be oposite how I have it, but the way the lines are are correct. In the instructions for the wastegate, it will say which line goes on which nipple

Reactions: Rislove
#27 ·
oh, well then just dis-regard my comment, I have never seen a boost controller like that before. My car had the twos 'r' us MBC, I removed that and installed and Apexi AVC-R, and I have now removed that and will be using the stand-alone ems to control my boost...

#28 ·
yea i had never seen one like this before either, i guess the T works like a solenoid. But most of the cockpit MBC i have seen use a long cable to adjust the boost. I dont really understand howw this vacuum system could work but i guess it does. I also am using an EMS to control my boost....alot better than an MBC haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.