Overhead console Sunglasses holder broken - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Division and International Models Forums > Lexus Forum > General Lexus Discussion

General Lexus Discussion Forum for all Lexus models: ES, IS, GS, SC, LS, RX, GX & LX.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2009, 09:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View critten's Photo Gallery
Overhead console Sunglasses holder broken

I have a 2006 RX 330 where the clip of the sunglasses holder doesn't work anymore. I have to push down on the plastic button for it to clip on when pushing the sunglasses holder back into place. I got a quote from the dealership at 1.2-1.3k just for that. I have no navigation compass on that part either!!! I have a basic rx330 and i cannot believe it cost so much (they want to replace the whole overhead part). Any ideas on how to fix the button, or a cheap way to get the overhead part replaced!?
critten is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2009, 01:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Every road's a playground

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
View toyotaholic's Photo Gallery
Can you take a picture? It should help greatly.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View paulbarr's Photo Gallery
have 2002 Cam with overhead glasses storage... the gear assembly which prevents the compartment door from slamming down (teh round gear acts as a damper) must have fallen back into the space between the assembly and the roof. The assembly must be easy to remove, but no obvious screws, might have to pop it out, but kinda reluctant to to that, as might break/crack the assembly.
An thoughts ?
paulbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

View bfschroe's Photo Gallery
Fixed!

Not sure if you resovled your problem but I just fixed what sounds like the same issue.

My dealer also said you have to replace the whole module with homelink for $1200. Sorry, not gonna happen.

It is very easy to remove. 2 screws behind the plastic knockouts in the sunglass compartment and 2 more under the plastic where you change the lightbulbs.

Once you remove the module, the push button mechanism comes off by removing the 2 screws. There is a small roll-bar in the mechanism that was sticking in mine (must have been bent while forcing it closed with oversize sunglasses inside). Just pull out the roll-bar with pliers and replace with anything that fits. It just clipped a small kotter pin and it works like new. Total cost: 5 cents and 15 minutes!

Bruce
bfschroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Division and International Models Forums > Lexus Forum > General Lexus Discussion