Toyota Nation Forum banner

Highlander Fuel Consumption

21K views 30 replies 21 participants last post by  SteelBird 
#1 ·
I just purchased an 2002 Highlander LTD 4WD. I love driving
it. Very solid and comfortable but my gas mileage is atrocious. I'm getting 18 MPG in
canada so thats per 4.5 liters or 15.69 litres/100km. It is
winter up here but I'm driving very conservatively with
minimal weight inside. The mileage figure on the little info
panel says 13.4 litres/100km average but I've monitored a
few tankfulls and I'm definately not even getting that. It only has 57,000 km on it. What is normal for this SUV?
Frank

#2 ·
I am out here in Edmonton and 'm getting around 400km per tank.

It is pretty usual to use alot more gas in the winter than in summer. Especially during startup. There are some things you can do to improve gas mileage though.

-use of block heater will actually save gas as it will take less gas to warm up
-amsoil atf in transfer case and rear diff or another synthetic will improve mileage slightly
-pump up your tire pressure to 35 psi

#7 ·
Average km/100l

Thanks' I did notice how much more fuel consumption shows on the info meter when the engine is cold. It does warm up quickly though. What is the average km/100 litres on yours?
I have an '06 HL with the 3.5 V6 engine and my readout is usually around the 12.7 mark in the winter. This is with an approximate split of 60/40 hwy/city driving. Last summer I did get a reading of 8.3km/100L (33.3 mpg) with the cruise control set at 80km per hour (50 mph) over a distance of about 24km (15miles). I achieved almost the same when I had my '02 HL. I believe it was 32 mpg. I also do not let the vehicle sit warming up. Even in winter, when I go to work in the morning, it runs for no longer than 30 seconds, if that, before I go. For your info, I'm just outside of Ottawa.

Peter

#11 ·
can't really expect much from these cars. I have a 03 4WD... I get around 14L/100km, varies a bit depending what I do for that tank. I can reliably get 440km out of around 62L gas.

Its heavy, its an SUV, it has big tires, and it has power sapping 4WD and 4 spd auto.... None of those bode well for gas mileage.

#13 ·
Mileage

Well, I DID look at EPA mileage numbers when I bought my 05 V6 4wd. I went with the HL instead of the Pilot because that was rated 2 mpg lower than the HL. I wanted a 4wd V6 SUV crossover (car-based) It's my 3rd SUV, starting with a 1989 S-10 Blazer 4.3 V6 4WD. That was a real gas pig, by the way. One can't beat the flexibilty of the SUV platform. I USED to be able to match the 24/19 EPA rating, but the moment they put 10% methanol in the gas around here, that all went to hell. I am lucky to get 22-23 on the highway and can average 18 with mixed driving...IF I watch how I use the gas pedal. I accept it, but with gasoline prices now hitting $4/gallon around here and no end in sight (really ticks me off!), I'm sure I will eventually need to reconsider my needs. I'm not gonna act hastily, though. I love the HL. It's been solid, not a single squeak or rattle, drives extremely well, and provides the high level of sophistication that I've come to expect from Toyota products. I sold my 1997 Ford Expedition last year, and got real good money for it, and I'm really glad I did this LAST year, because if I had waited one more year, I probably would have had to almost give it away. I personally feel that hybrids are not cost effective unless you keep them for a long time, and then if you have kept it a long time, you might have to deal with a very expensive battery pack replacement, which kills any monetary gains you might have accrued. Hybrids, to me, are a "feel good" purchase, andt I don't think they're the answer.

#14 ·
^ It depends on the Hybrids. Currently in Canada, hybrids enjoy a big rebate. When you are putting down 40k+ for a new Highlander limited, the HiHy Limited is only around 2k away after the rebates, it makes sense to spend that extra 2k.

We have hybrids for taxis, and some have broken the 150k mark and closing on 200k last time I checked and they have no problems with the battery. They will probably do way more charge and recharge cycle than any normal driver would.

Good job selling the Expedition though, you really would have to give that thing away in the current situation.

#15 ·
It also depend on how you drive

For the past few weeks I have been making a regular trip to St. Louis and back (about 330 miles R.T.) in my 01 V6 4wd Limited. I have been watching mpg at different speeds and it is surprising. At 85 mph I get 16 mpg, at 75 I get 19 mpg and at 65 I get 25 mpg. (I started to try it 55 but I almost got run over by traffic and gave up for saftey sake )

This is fairly flat interstate highway driving with the cruse control set, climate control set at 75F. Wind and temperatures vary each time, so this isn't exactly a scientific evaluation, but I find it revealing. I'm at 92K on the clock and just put new tires on it and did the 90K service about 2 months ago. I want to take the luggage rack cross bars next off and see if that makes a difference.

#16 ·
I will be filling for the first time this week in my '03 4wd and the moment of truth will come for me. We traded in my wifes' Honda Civic for the '03 and went from 35-38 mpg to??? I'm hoping for over 20 but we will wait and see. Oh yeah, the trade happened because I think the Civic was very uncomfortable and a 5 sp which I didn't want a pregnant wife to deal with. We also moved from NC to snowy CO so I wanted the wife to have a 4wd. Hopefully happiness we follow.

#17 ·
You can roughly estimate the gas mileage of your car if you kept how much mileage it has accumulated when you started driving it with a full tank.

Generally when the needle hits the last line on the gauge, which says its empty, you should fill around 63-65 L, which is approx 16gallons. Divide your miles by the gallons and you have a rough estimate of how much mileage you are getting.

#18 ·
filled her up

I don't usually let my vehicles go below 1/4 tank, just don't like to do that just in case. Filled it up and saw just over 20 mpg. I wasn't impressed but wasn't crushed because I knew what to expect. Most of the driving was in the city in CO. I only took it to work once and that is like 70/30 city driving.

#19 ·
Frank, you do not say anything about the check engine light, is it on? You say you bought the car used, have you ever had a check engine light? Go by AutoZone or to some parts store and have them read the codes from the ECU. If there are codes present and the MIL (check engine light) is not on, it could be burned out (or someone removed it so it would not show). If there is a failed fuel/air sensor (sophisticated o2 sensor) the ECU reverts to a failure mode air fuel mixture (on the rich side). This will severly affect your milage.

#20 · (Edited)
2006 highlander limited V6 97,000 m ...im getting 13.5 mpg average. tire pressure ok. been using 93 octane. changed pcv, ect sensor, sparkplugs, timing belt, drive belt, new tires, cleaned mass air flow sensor, new air filter, i i change oil and filter every 3000 miles....lately my car stalls a second after i start it up. HELP!!!...any ideas would be greatly appreciated...i was also wondering if o2 sensors were bad shouldnt i get a check engine light?

#21 ·
2006 highlander limited V6 97,000 m ...im getting 13.5 mpg average. tire pressure ok. been using 93 octane. changed pcv, ect sensor, sparkplugs, timing belt, drive belt, new tires, cleaned mass air flow sensor, new air filter, i i change oil and filter every 3000 miles....lately my car stalls a second after i start it up. HELP!!!...any ideas would be greatly appreciated...i was also wondering if o2 sensors were bad shouldnt i get a check engine light?
I have 07 V6 AWD just passed 100K. I usually get 17-19 with regular gas, tire pressure usually 35. only had the timing belt changed at 60K.
I too cleaned the MAF sensor, replace air filter about 12K, regular oil.

Your car stalled? once a while? You are right, O2 sensors usually = Check engine light so don't think it has anything to do with that.

Maybe try to use some Fuel system cleaner on the next couple tanks of gas. I use it every 2-3K miles.

#23 ·
gmoney, you don't mention if it's AWD or if its had a 4wheel alignment at any point. AWD will nick you a few MPG and bad wheel alignment can nick a few more. AWD seem fairly fussy about alignment. Cold weather, driving through snow, can also nick a few MPG, especially if the vehicle is driven around town and slowly or never reaches full operating temps.

Otherwise, a garage equipped with an with an exhaust gas analyzer and dyno could quickly determine if engine control was allowing a chronically rich condition.

As for it dying immediately after a start, classic symptoms of a sticking IAC valve--controls idle. There are a number of DIY posts regarding cleaning and/or replacement.

Reactions: gmoney1313
#24 ·
Thanks.... Yeah its awd and sincr i have had the car i never had an awd alighnment. I do have to keep the steeriing wheel to the left to go straight... Slightly... I mentioned this to the toyots service shop and they said its because the roads are angled that way for drainage..... Also a side note.... According to haynes manual my fuel pump should kick on when i put ignition key to on (without starting engine) i should have fuel pressure. I hooked up a fuel gauge with banjo bolt adapter at fuel rail and i have 0 psi. When i turn engine over its a steady 52 psi. I will look into cleaning and or replacing. Iac valve..... Thank you for your responses to earlier message

#26 ·
'01 Highlander V6 AWD with 130K miles on it. My current measure is 12 MPG in city. Have not had a chance to drive on highway yet. After have done all I can do, now waiting for ELM327 code reader to arrive to check for any possible sensor error. Most people here tell me 14 ~ 15 mpg in city is normal, so mine is a little fuel thirsty. Furthermore, I have to keep my steering wheel slightly right to keep it go straight also.

#28 ·
Just a quick question: What method do you use to measure your 1st gen Highlander's gas mileage?

My method: Get the tank fully filled, and drive for 60 miles (about 100 km) then get it fully filled again. The amount of gas to get the tank filled the second time is the amount that consumed for that 60 miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.