Toyota Nation Forum banner

squealing/squeaking noise

9K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Nick 
#1 ·
My 97 camry 4cyl makes squealing/squeaking noise when I make a sharp right turn to park in the parking lot. It only makes that type of noise when I do that. I had my rack and pinion replaced in August 2002 and left boot replaced on September 03. What could be the prob?

#4 ·
dj14901 said:
It's most likely the rubber grommet where the steering shaft passes through the firewall. Spray some silicone spray where the shaft and grommet connect, and you should be all set. Here's a pic:

http://public.webbox.com/index.asp?p=595606&ls=1

HTH -

DJ

The noise comes from the outside, on dry surface, and for some reason it only happens in parking lots.

#5 ·
parking lot squeek

Based on what your saying, sounds like when you run over the painted lines in the parking lot. I know that at 'full turn' in all my cars the tires slip sideways a little when they are on the paint lines. They dont do it on the road because you arent putting that much sideways torque on the tires, plus the highway crews put a sand like material on the road markings so that they wont be so slick. Cheapskates at Walmart dont....
Just one idea:D
MCTOY

#8 ·
It doesn't really matter which silicone spray you use, just make sure it's a lubricant and NOT a sealant! If you got to your local auto parts store (I'm not sure if you have a Pep Boys or Autozone up there) and ask them for some silicone spray, they should be able to help you out...

DJ

#9 ·
Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

I checked my fluid and it was at a proper level. I did top it off. I lubricated the steering column both indise the car and behind the firewall with a silicon spray. I still notice I get noise. I check the hoses (as best I could see without gettingunder the car) and I don't see any signs of leakage. The weather has warmed up to in the 40's here and I still here, so, I doubt if it is the cold weather. Someone has mentioned the belt, but if the belt was loose wouldn't it squeal all of the time or at least everytime I tunred the sterring wheel?

#12 ·
I could try getting an alignment. I don't have any signs that the car is misaligned, but it is something to look into.

No, I don't have the wheel turned completely. In fact, since the noise started I have tried to back out turning the wheel as little as possible! The noise seems to be loudest when you start to go forward and you are turning your wheel to straighten out. It is only there for a second.

Does the Camry have a specific belt for the power steering pump on the V6 engine?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.