Toyota Nation Forum banner

Timing chain tensioner leaking?

32K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  amitesh 
#1 ·
I don't know if anyone can help me with this, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

I own an '02 Corolla S that I brought in to the dealership for a tune up about five months ago. When I brought it in the Mechanic told me that I had a few problems. One of the problems was that my timing chain tensioner was leaking...

I bought myself a repair manual and I've recently started doing some maintenance on my car so that I don't have to pay to have it done. I've replaced my front break pads, changed my oil, etc... the basics. I've been looking in the manual for something regarding the timing chain tensioner, but all I can find is information about the timing chain itself (besides the location of the tensioner).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I need to do in order to, #1 check to make sure it's actually leaking (what is it that it would even leak? I don't see any leaks but I guess theres a chance there something I'm not seeing), and #2 how to fix it so that it no longer leaks?

I'm having trouble convincing myself to spend the $150 they quoted me to fix it. They quoted me $250 + tax to replace my front break pads and I did it myself for $22, so I plan to continue doing my own maintenance.

Any suggestions?

See less See more
#3 ·
My '98 is leaking somewhere also. I havent had the time to investigate as of yet but its engine oil and is coming from the front cover area. I dont see a seal shown on the exploded engine diagrams for the front cover. Its either a integrated seal on the cover or RTV. Could even be the crank seal at this point. Not much else around to leak in that area..
Odometer sitting at 84k.

#9 · (Edited)
Sounds like a noise I had. I replaced the idler pulley assembly: http://info.rockauto.com/getimage/getimage.php?imagekey=1251923&imageurl=http%3A//www.4s.com/4sCat/PartImage.aspx%3Fimg%3DC%3A%5Cwebdata%5Cwebcatalogs-4S%5Cimages%5Cparts%5C45578.jpg and it stopped making that noise.

I replaced the whole thing because 1) RockAuto sent the wrong pulley 2) local places also had the wrong pulley (sounds like a global database problem) 3) that was all anyone had in town at the time and I already had the car apart 4) some of the rubber on my assembly was bad anyway.

Gil

#6 ·
I may have time Sunday to take a better look. Pulling the rt front wheel and wheel liner should reveal the source. Right now Im willing to bet it is the front cover. I also need to do some research as to how the chain tensioner works. I will post my results of the leak source as soon as I have more info..

#11 ·

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I need to do in order to, #1 check to make sure it's actually leaking (what is it that it would even leak? I don't see any leaks but I guess theres a chance there something I'm not seeing), and #2 how to fix it so that it no longer leaks?

timing chain tensioner oring is leaking. Look in past threads and it should explain on how to replace it.

#13 ·
Removing the chain tensioner is real real easy. If you look on the rear passenger side corner of the cylinder head, you will see two 10mm nuts arranged vertically fastening an oval-shaped plate to the head. Remove these two bolts and give it a little tap, the tensioner will pop right out. Usually you can just put some RTV around the existing seal and re-install, should be good to go. If it still leaks, get another one from the dealer. They're less than $40.00. Hope this helps.

#17 · (Edited)
Im going to gamble a little and replace the tensioner. Im almost %100 certain its leaking from the front cover right below the bottom tensioner bolt though. I tried to reseal it twice yesterday. Once with RTV (which didnt seem to cure properly) and another time with Yamabond sealant which should be similar to the Toyota product for sealing cases. Still dripping however, I applied the sealant to the mounting flanges and not to the o ring area. I removed the serpentine tensioner, cruise control and valve cover to have a better look, degreased the air several times with the tensioner removed and still see a slight seep. Possibly an accumalation of oil in a small pocket between the front cover and block.
I hope so.
Question for those in the know...
Is it normal to have a rather noisey chain after reinstalling for a minute or so? Maybe due to bleeding air from the tensioner? A fast idle seemed to smooth it out pretty quickly. I understand the tensioner is hydraulic and probably the case here..I still dont like the off idle noise from the chain but couldnt help notice there have been lots of changes in the timing gear parts during that year model. The Toyota parts clerk told me there is 3 tensioners for that year..
My vehicle DOM is 12/97. P/N 13540-22020 was ordered.

#18 ·
Yeah, replacing it should do the trick then.

As far as the idle noise goes, that's normal. When you re-install the tensioner, it is collapsed via that little hook, and the chain guide banging against it is what releases it, so the chain is loose for a few seconds at start up (however not loose enough to jump a tooth).

#19 · (Edited)
When you collapse the plunger to reinstall all the oil is pushed out of the tensioner. When the tensioner releases and rachets into place there is still some slack in the plunger but not enough to engage into another tooth. Pressurized oil is fed into the tensioner through the small orifice which dampens the plungers movement and maintains pressure on the chain rail. The spring pressure probably has little to no function while the engine is running.
I guess its safe to say that a freshly installed tensioner will make some chain rattle until all the air is bled from the tensioner and engine oil pressure takes over..
Thanks for the info. on the off idle noise..Once this leak has been solved Im not gonna worry about it. I was debating whether or not to replace the camchain during the re-seal job.
Maybe all the reason for Toyota to re-design the cam chain components.
Im wondering..Does the Gen. 9 models make this noise too?

#20 ·
I started the timing chain cover reseal last night. It wasnt leaking from the tensioner. The manual specifies a specific area of sealant on the timing cover next to the oil passage to the tensioner. This is where the leak may have been since engine oil pressure needs to be contained.
Should finish this up after work today.
Hope this nagging leak is solved once and for all..
Parts needed.
1) Crank front seal
2) Water pump O ring
3) Sealant (Toyota specified used)
4) Tensioner (Since I had already bought it)

#21 ·
I have a rather simple follow-up question, but since I'm new to the car repair scene I thought it was better to ask first.

I found the oval-shaped plate (tensioner) and it appears that there is certainly oil seeping out. Out of curiosity, when I remove the chain tensioner, what can I expect? I wont have oil leaking all over as if I removed the oil pan plug, right?

#22 ·
You will not have any oil leaking from the tensioner, just residue. Its a rather simple process and if I was able to post attachments I would have posted pics of the process for you. I have been a technician for many years, mostly aviation related but this task is relatively simple enough for most. Once the tensioner is removed (just remove the 2 bolts..nothing to worry about) and the o ring is replaced (does the o ring look "flat"?) you will see the small hook riveted to the tensioner housing. Push the racheting pawl to release the plunger and push it all the way in and engage the small hook to keep it collapsed. Lubricate the o ring and carefully install so as to not release the plunger accidently. Holding it seated in place, install a bolt to hold it there then install the remaining bolt. Here's where inexperience gets you into trouble..The bolt torque is around 80 IN. lbs. 80 in lbs is nothing. If you use a 3/8 drive socket you can easily snap the bolt clean off. A 1/4 drive set is much safer to use on small stuff. The o ring is doing the sealing and the bolts need nothing more than a light torque.
Once installed, all that needs to be done to get the tensioner to release itself from the hook is to get the tensioner rail to bump against it. This is done by rotating the crankshaft. I used a 10 mm socket on the alternator to rotate the crankshaft back and forth until I heard racheting sound. You should be able to hear this easily as I have removed mine many times and each time I heard it clearly. Just listen for it as you move the alternator pulley through 90 degree rotations back and forth (view the crankshaft to ensure you are indeed turning it). Just keep turning it in both directions until you hear the "zipper" sound and youre done!
Start the engine. It may sound like the timing chain is a little loose for a short time and holding a fast idle, (to increase engine oil pressure) it should quiet down.
My job is done. Looks like the leak is gone. It wasnt coming from the tensioner but right next to it from the cover.
I will add that I replaced the tensioner as I mentioned. There is less chain noise off idle then before. The new tensioner has a different racheting pawl so there may be other changes to it as well..

#23 ·
Problem solved..Leak is gone. Driveway is safe again!
Next problems to solve..
1) Find a permanent solution to my airbag light and having to disconnect/reconnect my side airbag connectors every week or two.
2)Extinguishing my ck eng light for good, taking to dealer and having the charcoal cannister assy replaced under warranty! Yes! under warranty! My vehicle falls under the 14 yr 150k mile warranty for this problem.

#26 ·
under warranty?

Hello. I don't know much about cars/mechanical repairs. Honestly, I'm just hoping to get some answers.

Does anyone know if a "leaky timing chain tensioner" is covered by warranty? If not, how much can I expect to pay to have this done on my '06 Corolla?

#28 ·

I own an '02 Corolla S that I brought in to the dealership for a tune up about five months ago. When I brought it in the Mechanic told me that I had a few problems. One of the problems was that my timing chain tensioner was leaking...

I bought myself a repair manual and I've recently started doing some maintenance on my car so that I don't have to pay to have it done. I've replaced my front break pads, changed my oil, etc... the basics. I've been looking in the manual for something regarding the timing chain tensioner, but all I can find is information about the timing chain itself (besides the location of the tensioner).

I'm having trouble convincing myself to spend the $150 they quoted me to fix it. They quoted me $250 + tax to replace my front break pads and I did it myself for $22, so I plan to continue doing my own maintenance.

Any suggestions?
I just had my dealer tell me that my timing chain tensioner was leaking and he quoted 758$ to fix it. He also said that my drive belt water pump tensor needed to be replaced and quoted 826$. All of a sudden am looking at expenses of 1600 bucks. You had mentioned that your mechanic quoted 150 bucks for the timing chain tensioner. Was it a toyota dealer or was it one of the autozone/pepboys/minike/strauss/AAMCO group? Am looking to see if I can get it done somewhere for cheaper than 1600 bucks. Mine is a 2003 toyota corolla. Thanks in advance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.