Toyota Nation Forum banner

Whining sound on my xB 2012 109k miles

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  TheManInDboX 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and new to scion cars too. I bought my scion 2012 xB on November last year from Toyota dealer and it has 109k miles on it. So far everything is good but there are two things that make me annoyed
1. The car is not gas efficient. I have to fill up my tank at around 230 miles.
2. There is a whining sound when i accelerate my car. It sounds like supercharge, not to loud but annoying to me. I look through the posts here but can not find out whats wrong with it. I will attack the record of the sound belowhttps://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-K...ljbjhmYjA/view
Please let me know if you have the same sound as mine
Thank you
​​​​​ P/s : this guy has exactly the same whining sound as mine

#3 ·
Thank you very much for answering my post, I am living in Southern California so I guess I dont use Oxygenated winter gas.I haven't checked the tranny fluid level, personally, because I just did 5k mile service at toyota dealer so I think they will take care of the fluid for me.
I still dont know what causes the whining noise, I look it up and some people say about the worn gears, some say bad transaxle....and some say it's just nature of the car.:frown:

#9 ·
First.. if it's exactly like the video, that's drivetrain vibration.. not gas, not water pump, not accessory drive belts..
It could be a bad alignment.. tires under inflated, or over inflated.. could be the road surface.. to test things..
1. Does it make the sound while revving the engine in neutral?
2. Does it make the sound at different speeds? Does the pitch change? Does it happen on multiple road surfaces?
3. Does it do it when the engine/transaxel is cold, or only at operating temp?

I'll be honest my 01 sienna made the same noise.. but it did it for nearly 300k miles without an issue.. I have a feeling it's just the nature of that generation 4spd automatic.. aisin trans's are pretty strong.. so I wouldn't worry much about it.. be more concerned when it stops..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.