Toyota Nation Forum banner

stainless steel brake lines

3K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  woshiagni 
#1 ·
Whatever happened to the group buy with teamsc3? (was just browsing through the archives) What brand were those lines? (I've found only Goodridge and RMM... any comments/suggestions?

Can you actually feel the difference, even with stock rotors and pads? (I'm eventually planning to upgrade to Brembo vented rotors and Hawk HPS pads)

#3 ·
I think Jeff was talking about the SS brake lines group buy. I was interested but it didn't really go anywhere. Any way of starting it back up?

#4 ·
I would be in for some ss brake lines, I was quoted 150 for a set of goodridges. If we can get any lower then that I would be in for sure!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 92CamryV6 on 2002-03-16 00:35 ]</font>

#6 ·
Hahaha... I was just curious about stainless lines and everyone's ready to jump in for a group buy. =)

This place has them for $120...
http://www.nipponpower.com/brake/brakeline/goodridge_toyota.html

I'm not sure what the reputation of that place is, though.

So can you really feel the difference with stainless steel lines? If not then I need to put that money towards springs and struts. =)

#7 ·
actually i was the one doing the brake g/b's on teamsc3. we got the brembo's for 48USD each with the buy. but the stainless brake lines didnt go through. the guy that was supposed to make the lines for us quit his job and now works for nissan =( but as far as i know http://www.lightningmotorsports.com is the cheapest place that sells them and its on a 5-6wk backorder =T. they are willing to do a g/b if i can get enough people but im not sure if i can get 10 people willing to wait 5/6 weeks for the lines and still be there without flaking on me.

#8 ·
Hmn... okay... if we were to get a group buy together again, who should I contact for the Brembos? I figure I might as well go Brembo's on all four wheels since stainless lines probably won't work with my rear drums.

I shot off a couple of emails to RMM and nipponpower, I guess I'll see what they say.

If lightningmotorsports can get the lines in within the next 6 weeks, then can we arrange to do a group buy in a month? No point in asking now if people aren't willing to wait. =)

I count 4 of us, including me who are in for stainless lines... just need a few more people - I'm sure between here, camryman, and teamsc3 we can find 15 people... hopefully...

#9 ·
it doesn't matter what rotors/pads you have.

On 2002-03-15 19:59, woshiagni wrote:
Whatever happened to the group buy with teamsc3? (was just browsing through the archives) What brand were those lines? (I've found only Goodridge and RMM... any comments/suggestions?

Can you actually feel the difference, even with stock rotors and pads? (I'm eventually planning to upgrade to Brembo vented rotors and Hawk HPS pads)

#10 ·
Well, actually I was wondering what it would feel like with stock rotors and pads, but I figured I'd replace it all at the same time, since I was planning to replace rotors and pads later on anyways.

I know it'll work with the front discs, but I've heard that the lines are incompatible with Camrys that have drums in the rear. This would somewhat defeat the purpose if I have two steel lines and two rubber lines...

#11 ·
the goodridge system i think does include ss lines for the rear according to the site. rmm's brakelines used to come from the same place that i was supposed to get the GB from, actually it was RMM that was assisting in the GB, however RMM now is at a loss for a SS line supplier.

the 5week wait is no matter when you order, they will not keep camry lines in stock for an obvious reason... little market. so if we want them we will need to order, pay first, then wait a month or so for the lines.

i might be starting another gb for the brembo rotors, so ill keep you guys updated, im not sure about pricing so ill let you know.

#14 ·
Argh... it's really disappointing to hear 'because it's a Camry' ... as I'm sure you guys have all experienced.

Oh well... I guess we'll hold off on the stainless lines for now, but definitely let us know about the Brembo's if you do another GB... I'm in! =)

#16 ·
On 2002-03-16 09:24, elegantcam wrote:
http://www.cyberauto.com/

Price is even cheaper here, but I wonder why it's only for coupe and 4-cyl. :???:
If it comes in coupe and 4cyl applications, it should be fine for the V6 too I think, because the rear brake assemblies are the same (for disc brake).

#17 ·
Im definitely getting the TechnaFit lines! $105 US for reputable SS lines with choice of colored teflon coating! mint... thats way cheaper than the $300+ CAN for custom Earl's lines from Ultimate Racing.

good stuff. the price is only $10 US more straight from the Technafit website.

latez.

#19 ·
On 2002-03-16 20:30, Ratko wrote:
Im definitely getting the TechnaFit lines! $105 US for reputable SS lines with choice of colored teflon coating! mint... thats way cheaper than the $300+ CAN for custom Earl's lines from Ultimate Racing.

latez.
Ratko, I'll order with you. We'll talk on ICQ

#20 ·
When I was trying to organize one, there wasn't enough interest to warrant a group buy on the brake lines.

I also heard from someone (I think Justin), that somene in Cali driving a GS was killed because of the failure of Goodridge (I think) brake lines. Anyone else know about this????

#21 ·
On 2002-03-16 20:30, Ratko wrote:

latez.
Dude $300 CDN for brake lines sounds WAY OFF... someone from TeamSC3 said he can get them custom made at a local shop for USD$120 or so...

Ok seems like I'll miss out if I'm not ordering it with you guys... Sounds like a possible groupbuy for all of us Torontoians??

#23 ·
Hmmn.. well, I guess the gen4 and solara people are out of luck.

Anyways, about stainless lines:
http://www.seansa4page.com/resource/brakelines.html

Please read it. It's important info. =)

For those that don't want to read, essentially, stainless steel brake lines are actually only braided in stainless steel. The lines themselves are actually Teflon. Failure happens when the stainless braid chafes on the fragile Teflon and the line ruptures - stainless lines are also hard to check up on because they're covered up by the braid - whereas rubber lines can be visually inspected fairly easily.

It also notes that racing applications usually don't have this problem because lines are replaced at the end of each season and inspected before each session.

If you guys do go with stainless lines, please install them correctly (no kinks, no rubbing) and check up on them often. I'm sure no one here wants TN to lose any members. Of course, it's unlikely that all four would fail at the same time.

Rgds, Jeddy

BTW, for further reading: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/DIY/brakelines.htm

This NSX owner apparently had installed lines for his Mustang, sold the car, and later found out that the new owner got into an accident after one wheel completely lost braking power. Just food for thought.

#24 ·
Hey thanks for posting up the links for us. Now I know there are more things to take precaution of.

I used to think I can tackle changing the brake lines myself but I guess I should take it to a mech to make sure the job is done right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.