Toyota Nation Forum banner

2000 Echo A/C problem

3K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  slohcin13 
#1 ·
Hey all,

The A/C in my Echo won't do anything. When I push the A/C button, the light does not come on for it, and there is no auditory change. Also, not sure if it is related, but the heater/ac fan is always off except when I turn it to high, and the only vents that work are the defroster and the main vents. Any thoughts? Does this sound like two seperate issues, or possibly just a recharge needed and a resistor for the controls? Trying to figure out what the best first step is, since I can't actually work on it atm with the wet weather.

#2 ·
I had the same issue before. It turned out to be the Blower Motor Resistor. The heater blower is right behind the glovebox. It's a pain in the rear to get to and remove the white plastic cover. But I didn't even replace the resistor. I just slightly bent the broken tab to make contact and apply pressure from the other side and haven't had any issues since then. Here is a picture of what it looks like and how to get to it. http://caphector.com/atoyota/techin...pdf/02rmsour/2002/02echorm/ac/blores/insp.pdf

#3 ·
Sorry it has taken so long to get back on here, and thank you for replying. It turns out that it was not so easy :( The compressor had gone out. In going to check something under the hood, I realized that the belt was not attached to the AC compressor at all. On further inspection, the pulley was loose and wobbly, which led to me taking it to the mechanic to find out the compressor was dead.

Of course, not I can add more problems to my list of car troubles....

Ever since the mechanic changed out the compressors and put the new belt on, it has been really rough anytime I come to a stoplight. This becomes worse if I try to run the AC in town, which makes sense. I am also getting a random misfire code, which seems to happen periodically, and possibly correlates to wet weather ( or maybe not). I replaced the spark plugs, air filter, and PCV valve 7k miles ago, so I don't expect they are the culprits.

Any help or thoughts anybody could offer would be great.

#5 ·
It has 262k miles now, presuming it is the original engine. I bought it 7k miles ago, not sure what work may or may not have been done. It is also losing oil fairly quickly (about a pint per thousand miles, roughly, mostly freeway/highway driving. Not sure if any of that could matter.

I will look into get a compression test done, then post back.

#9 ·
I did a dry compression test, which showed cylinders 1, 2, and 3 between 175 and 185, and #4 is down at 135 psi. I did not have time to do a wet test, but that is presumably my next step. If I can get it narrowed down to a specific part, I can decide if its worth fixing.

#10 ·
Compression looks good on 1,2,3 but 4 is 25% lower, not so good.
However it doesn't have a direct misfire error so not much to do there.

Regarding random misfire you could scan the engine parameters to see if all normal, test fuel pressure, clean injectors.

#11 ·
So the compression, although low, is likely not causing my misfire? I thought random misfire could also be from a misfire in one cylinder that is just not frequent enough to give a P0304 code? Well if that's the case, then I did notice a few things in inspection of the plugs, although most seem to point to oil issues best I can tell.

All plugs are white along the firing end, along with what appears to be soot burned on just below the threads, and a "corona stain" just above the hex. I noticed the rubber piece on all four coils were wet on both sides, which does not seem like it should be the case. I noticed a purple-ish discoloration between the hex and the threads, not sure why or if that has any significance at all.

And not really related to the plugs themselves, but I noticed some wires that are bundled with the coils and run into the engine below and forward of them were cracking. Not sure what they go to, I can try to take a picture in the morning if you aren't sure what I'm talking about.

#13 ·
There no engine cover, hasn't been since I bought it. Could definitely be related to wet weather (we've had a lot of that lately), although the fluid was a dark brown. I was figuring possibly dirty oil, but with how dirty both the engine and the coils were, it would not surprise me for water to get that brown, either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.