Toyota Nation Forum banner

What alarm in a 2016 Yaris?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  M70 
#1 ·
Hello. A friend of mine is going to buy a new Yaris and asked me to fit an alarm.
The question is the following.
Can a simple, let's say, alarm be fitted to a new Yaris or is it necessary to fit a CanBus alarm?
He wants me to install a two way alarm and as far as I know, 2way alarms have all "analog" connections.

Every installer I asked, I got different opinions. Yes you can - No, you cannot - Yes, with a canbus adaptor.

The car is with the simple key, not smartkey.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Simplest thing in the world is a hidden toggle switch in or under the dash that controls any one of a number of strategic starter or ignition circuit wires. Your average crook will not stick around long enough to figure out what's wrong with the car if it doesn't start!

I have a discrete fuel line manual shutoff valve on my old pickup truck. Sure you can break into it (I don't usually lock it anyway) and hot wire it to start but 30 seconds later when the carburetor fuel bowl becomes empty you're suddenly sitting in a dead vehicle that is no longer parked and for sure is going to do nothing but draw attention.

#3 ·
Not sure why anyone would steal a Yaris. But if you are not an actual Alarm installer do your self a favor and tell your friend that you do not want to risk affecting his new car warranty and he should just buy it from the dealer or use one of their recommended shops.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.