Toyota Nation Forum banner

help on toyota echo deck

14K views 14 replies 2 participants last post by  a_mao 
#1 ·
so my inlaws gave me a 2000 echo. it came with no deck and im trying to install a pioneer in. did all the splice. here's what's left because there are not matches: blue/white (remote control - has the end tag on it), orange/white, blue, and orange/black. plugged it in and nothing turned on. i plugged in the stock antenna to the back and no work. there's a red and a white plug for amp or something else that i know i dont need. anyone know if there's something wrong or these year echo have something i need to change? here are a few pictures:

See less See more
#2 ·
Are you sure you've got the factory Echo power and ground wires hooked up correctly to the Pioneer loom?

Have a read of this thread for the factory Echo wiring colours:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t322762.html

The wiring colours for most Pioneer head-unit looms is like this:

Red----------------12v ignition (switched)
Orange-------------12v Memory (bat. constant)
Blue----------------Power/Antenna Control
Black---------------Ground
Green---------------Left Front Speaker +
Green/Red-----------Left Rear Speaker +
Green/Black---------Left Front and Rear Speaker -
Gray----------------Right Front Speaker +
Gray/Red------------Right Rear Speaker +
Gray/Black----------Right Front and Rear Speaker -

If it still doesn't work, then check that the fuse isn't blown :thumbsup:

#9 ·
Are you sure you've got the factory Echo power and ground wires hooked up correctly to the Pioneer loom?

Have a read of this thread for the factory Echo wiring colours:

The wiring colours for most Pioneer head-unit looms is like this:

Red----------------12v ignition (switched)
Orange-------------12v Memory (bat. constant)
Blue----------------Power/Antenna Control
Black---------------Ground
Green---------------Left Front Speaker +
Green/Red-----------Left Rear Speaker +
Green/Black---------Left Front and Rear Speaker -
Gray----------------Right Front Speaker +
Gray/Red------------Right Rear Speaker +
Gray/Black----------Right Front and Rear Speaker -

If it still doesn't work, then check that the fuse isn't blown :thumbsup:
that's exactly how i soldered them together. i also soldered ground on ground. is that bad? usually when i do that it works fine. it's getting too complicated for me:disappoin

#4 ·
ok, i've read all the info and im soooo confused. sorry, im not good with electric wires and im going to need help. all i know was that in the past ive always matched the colors and they worked fine. plus, i dont know how to read those color codes. the MODEL of the pioneer deck is DEH-1200MP. here is a picture of what i have done so far. so far i've just color match and soldered them together. the fuse is still good.

#6 ·
Ok, so this is how it should be (I think) -

The solid grey wire on the Echo should go to the yellow wire on Pioneer loom (this is the constant 12v)

The black wire on the Pioneer loom is the ground wire, and should be bolted to any bare metal behind the head-unit.

The red wire on the Pioneer loom is the ignition wire and should go to the power wire coming off of the cigarette lighter socket (just splice it and join it together). There will be a dedicated wire on the Echo loom that you can find if you have a circuit tester, but this is the easy way to do it.

Try that first so you can at least get it powered on :)

Good luck!

#10 ·
Hmm. I was just going by what a member wrote after they installed their head-unit, in the thread I posted earlier. If the Echo wires are labelled then it should be a matter of just connecting them to the colours indicated in the Pioneer manual, but that doesn't seem like it's the case.

Have you got a circuit tester? (looks like a screwdriver but has a little light on the top to tell you when it detects a 12v current). If you have one then you can check to see if there is actually current going through the Echo wires. Maybe something has been disconnected somewhere. Circuit testers are really cheap to buy, only a few dollars at most places, so perhaps you could invest in one if you still find yourself really stuck. If only you were closer, I'd come and help you out myself. It's a bit hard trying to work it out over the internet.

#8 ·
so are you saying i should leave the other wires alone then? because the orange/white wire from the echo harness is the dimmer wire. oh hell im so confused. i know no one good with electrical and i do not want to pay 100 bucks at the audio store.

#12 ·
Allgood man. If worst comes to worst then you could always run a new wire with an inline fuse directly from the battery (as a 12v power source) and just splice the wire from the cigarette lighter socket for the 12v ignition. At least that will get it up and running without stuffing around with the factory loom :thumbsup:

#13 ·
#14 ·
Ok i've found a few with different ones.

and

http://www.modifiedlife.com/2000-toyota-echo-car-stereo-installation-diagram/

i need to know the colors of the radio harness because i had a friend's friend look at my harness and it's an aftermarket one. can someone verify the right colors on the pages. i need to know today so i can at least do something about it. thanks!
Hmm, that's what I got confused with the other day, so decided to lean more towards the guy who actually installed it on his Echo as some of those online sites can be incorrect.

So to get this straight, the loom that is currently in your Echo is an aftermarket one? Are the colours the same going from the aftermarket loom to the original wiring? If the original grey Echo wire is going to a red wire on the aftermarket loom then this will more than likely be your 12v wire, and so on.

P.S. As you would have noticed, I've moved the post you made earlier into your original thread (this one) :thumbsup:

#15 ·
yep the one that is soldered to the echo is an aftermarket loom. some match and some dont. that explains why there are a few wires that were taped off. every color matched though, so im not completely sure. ill get an update after i check up everything. and a thank you for making the move. i realized i didn't need a new thread after i pressed "submit" lol. thanks man.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.