Help....Musky smell from my new yaris a/c - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Yaris, Vitz and Echo Forum Discussion area for all the Toyota Yaris and Echo owners worldwide.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-10-2006, 10:50 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Help....Musky smell from my new yaris a/c

hi,

how do i remove some musky/condensation smell from my a/c? from what i think it is probably fungus or mildew that are in the a/c vent.

the smell appeared when i switch on my a/c.......so is there a a/c filter that i need to change?

it sucks....as i only have my car for around 3 months now......

maybe the weather attributes to it...i am in the tropical zone with daily avg of 32deg celcius and humidity of around 60-80%....i think

so how do i getrid of the smell and how can i prevent the smell from caming back.......any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-10-2006, 02:44 PM
Newbie One Kanobi

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorst
hi,

how do i remove some musky/condensation smell from my a/c? from what i think it is probably fungus or mildew that are in the a/c vent.

the smell appeared when i switch on my a/c.......so is there a a/c filter that i need to change?

it sucks....as i only have my car for around 3 months now......

maybe the weather attributes to it...i am in the tropical zone with daily avg of 32deg celcius and humidity of around 60-80%....i think

so how do i getrid of the smell and how can i prevent the smell from caming back.......any suggestions?

I'm obviously no expert, but it might contribute to what you mentioned as far as where you live. Maybe an air filteration system will work. I'd ask a dealer about it, if they give you BS then go to an aftermarket shop for a airfilteration or just ask them about it. So you're saying it only smells when the a/c is on? Maybe its the moister in the carpet? Its possible? LIke the a/c brings it out, if you know what I mean. I had a similar situation with my ECHO not long after I got it. I live in the other end of the spectrum where it snows, so I get snow/ice in the car, yes I have floor mats but you know they don't cover everything. Anyway the snow melts to water and it sits there. I'd try cleaning the carpet. I don't get it as much anymore...does it go away after awhile or only when you turn on the a/c? Hope that helps, good luck!!

Liberalism: We think we know what's best for everyone but we won't follow it, but you're darn tootin we'll charge you for it.

#3 Old 05-11-2006, 10:15 AM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
found some website that advises to turn the cooler to off and then turn the a/c fan to max and let blow for a min before leaving the car.......so condensation will not happen

hmmm......not sure if that will help........any other inputs?

well carpet is not an issue since i got myself some of the better mats and i have not spilled any drink yet......

so is there an a/c filter in the 2007 yaris?
#4 Old 05-17-2006, 09:52 PM
Official TN Member

cabin air filter

Quote:
found some website that advises to turn the cooler to off and then turn the a/c fan to max and let blow for a min before leaving the car.......so condensation will not happen

hmmm......not sure if that will help........any other inputs?

well carpet is not an issue since i got myself some of the better mats and i have not spilled any drink yet......

so is there an a/c filter in the 2007 yaris?
I just got a new Yaris S 4 door and love it. I pulled the glove box out this afternoon to check for a cabin air filter. The owners manual says it is available on some models. Well on my "S" with the power package it does not have a filter in it. Everything you need is there, the space for it right over the fan and a cover to take it out. But, there is no frame or filter. I say there is no frame, it may be made to just sit on top of the area above the fan. I wonder if the filter (or kit) is available from Toyota? Anybody have a new Yaris that came with a filter installed?

Mike
#5 Old 05-19-2006, 11:32 AM
omg jdm

Any strange smells from a new car I would take right to the dealer. That's what warranties are for!
#6 Old 05-19-2006, 08:38 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
thats what i did.......brought to the dealer and the technician was full of BS........saying i need to warm the car up everyday till the cool sign disappear and then turn the a/c on.

i told the guy that i did warm up everytime i use.........and its the condensation issue......ask him about the filter and he said he have not look into the new yaris......

gonna drop by another day to speak to the head tech....since he was not around that day.....
#7 Old 05-21-2006, 04:25 PM
Know God. Work Hard.

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Is this your first car? Because Cars tend to have a strange smell when you turn on the AC for the first minute or two. Its normal. The best thing to help reduce the smell is to shut off the AC before you elave the ccar and let it blow regular air before you leave.

97 4Runner & 90 Eagle Talon TSI (AWD TURBO)

"Love is all you need to know and all you need to know is love is all you need to know."
#8 Old 05-22-2006, 04:27 AM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
nope...nt the "new" car smell...........its more like old a/c in the office smell........or something......condensation.
#9 Old 05-22-2006, 05:16 PM
Know God. Work Hard.

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
nope...nt the "new" car smell...........its more like old a/c in the office smell........or something......condensation.
Im not saying new car smell. Im talking about "AC smell". EVery car has that smell on initial startup. o minimize it, next time ur about to turn off your ac, run it with fans only to get all that smell out.

97 4Runner & 90 Eagle Talon TSI (AWD TURBO)

"Love is all you need to know and all you need to know is love is all you need to know."
#10 Old 05-22-2006, 05:30 PM
Ninja-rator

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
When you have stagnant water you'll get a bad odor. What happens when you use your A/C is water condenses throughout the whole time you are using it. It will usually drip out for the most part but there will be residual.

Try these:

---When you get near your house, Switch from recirculated air to fresh/outside air. (Helps to dry out the water)
---Spray some air disinfectant like Lysol down the vent on the outside
---When driving with A/C maybe keep it comingn in from the out side always unless things are dusty outside?
---If most of these things don't work and then ya, go to the dealor again.

There is a few sites which adress this issue, google A/C odor and recirculated air, Or what ever key words might apply. There is even a thread here I believe search here too.

#11 Old 05-22-2006, 09:52 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
[quote=RningOnFumes]

---When you get near your house, Switch from recirculated air to fresh/outside air. (Helps to dry out the water)
\quote]

tried it.......but kind of cumbersome everytime..........as for the outside air......forogot abt it..........probably die from monoxide poisoning

bad thing about indonesia.......there is no regulation on air pollution control.......so most car on the road has "black or white" smoke coming from the exhaust.......and its so damn dusty.....

even on fuel regulation.......such as leaded and unleaded types.......some petrol station add kerosene(cheap) to the tank......to maximise profits........really bad business habits

govt policy is just non existance and lawsuits are just out of the question........man.......luckily the internet is here for people to voice their displeasure..........destress....

sometimes just wanna get out from this place...........
#12 Old 05-22-2006, 10:04 PM
Ninja-rator

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
lol...you asked for help, I offered some remedies.

here's more:

http://www.imcool.com/articles/airco...vap_stinks.htm
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w164...7-c-smell.html
http://www.vectorbd.com/peugeot/archive/97_5/0595.html
http://experts.about.com/q/Auto-Air-...91/C-Smell.htm

threads here on TN:
http://toyotanation.com/forum/t101425.html
http://toyotanation.com/forum/t65267.html
http://toyotanation.com/forum/t22532.html

Well the whole idea is to have that water dry so there is no stagnant water for mold or other odor causing organisms to grow. Sit in your driveway with vents on outside air for a few minuts before you get out of the car maybe?

dave

and I dont' think you'll die from any monoxide poisoning...too must air moving and not enough concentration of it.

Last edited by RningOnFumes; 05-22-2006 at 10:06 PM.
#13 Old 05-27-2006, 07:15 AM
Toyota Fan

I get the same smell ith my 2000 Camry. what I did to get rid of the smell was two things:

1. I used lysol spray and with the car running and the ac + heat and Fan all on high, I went outside and sprayed the lysol into the vents at the base of the windsheild where the fresh air enters. Do this for a few minutes. It will kill off any mold and or mildew.

2. If you have a lot of humidity or moisture where you live, make sure the car is not parked on an upward slope. I was told that water can pool away from the drain area and get stagment. Its best to back a car in an upward slop so that any water will better.

the last thing you can do is when you use the A/C, before shutting the car off, leav the A/C running, but boost the heat on for a minute or so (in atempt to dry out the condensation that forms on the A/C condenser.

Hope this helps. this poblem is all too common on most cars.

2000 Camry CE
2000 Echo
#14 Old 06-03-2006, 05:25 PM
TCCA/TN a house divided

This is a very touch subject seeing as this can become a hazard. What happens is you get stagnant water in your venting ducts, which in some cases fung has grown became air borne and infected many people that enter the vehicle. Best thing to do is spray lysol in to kill any possible fungus and then tell the dealer to clean it out. Legionnaires` Disease, undiscovered till 1976, has highlighted the need to keep air conditioners clean. Google it to find out why you need to protect yourself.

Jsħ-Sg f Ule Kņowłedĝe
"Now imagine yourself a particle of air, which one looks easier to get through? The K&N thats looks like miniature chicken wire, or the original that looks like 4 sheets of construction paper?"
#15 Old 06-04-2006, 12:15 AM
The Primordial One

Dang it I can't remember what it was called.. but there was a product that you hooked up to the A/C drain hose, and it's sprayed an expanding foam back up it into the evaporator area coating it..and killing off all the mold, etc that built up.. over like 30 minutes it simple drained back out the A/C drain plug, and you were done, all nice and clean smelling again. I'll have to see if I can find it again..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Yaris, Vitz and Echo Forum