2005 Echo Handbrake Adjustment: How To? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Yaris, Vitz and Echo Forum Discussion area for all the Toyota Yaris and Echo owners worldwide.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-14-2010, 07:40 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2005 Echo Handbrake Adjustment: How To?

Hey all! I went for my license test today, and much to my displeasure, I couldn't even get out of the compound because my handbrake was deemed 'faulty' by the inspector. Basically when I pressed the gas, the car would move, of course, so yeah. That inspector just wouldn't take pity on a poor gal! haha
I need to adjust my handbrake by next wednesday but I have no idea how to do this. Any tips, how to's, photos for assistance?

Thank you in advance!

[ps. it's splendid to find a group of toyota lovers! I'm only nineteen but the only cars my family ever owned were toyota, and it's definitely rubbed off on me. Toyota Matrix, I will obtain you someday!]

*wednesday is when my license test was bumped to, so its very important!

Last edited by damnerama; 06-14-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-14-2010, 08:45 PM
Full Throttle

Garage
iTrader Score: 16 reviews
You're really meant to adjust it at the rear of the vehicle by removing one of the wheels and adjusting the clearance between the rear brake shoes, but as a temporary measure until you get your license, you can tighten it at the handbrake.

You'll first have to pop the centre console off by disengaging the two clips at the front and unscrewing the screw inside of the rear cup-holder (it may have a piece of felt covering it). It's easier if you take the rubber handbrake surround off too.

You should then see two 10mm nuts. Put an open ended spanner on each one and tighten it up. It should be that simple. I'd recommend getting it done properly afterwards though as it won't cost you much.

Good luck!

^^Click above to view my Driiive page ^^
#3 Old 06-15-2010, 09:07 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi-Corolla View Post
You're really meant to adjust it at the rear of the vehicle by removing one of the wheels and adjusting the clearance between the rear brake shoes, but as a temporary measure until you get your license, you can tighten it at the handbrake.

You'll first have to pop the centre console off by disengaging the two clips at the front and unscrewing the screw inside of the rear cup-holder (it may have a piece of felt covering it). It's easier if you take the rubber handbrake surround off too.

You should then see two 10mm nuts. Put an open ended spanner on each one and tighten it up. It should be that simple. I'd recommend getting it done properly afterwards though as it won't cost you much.

Good luck!
Thank you! How do I fix it from the wheel though? I would prefer a permanent solution, and my father is going to do it for me, as he fixes everything with our cars. Are there any diagrams to illustrate what to do, or is it similar to tightening the brakes?
#4 Old 06-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Full Throttle

Garage
No problem. I don't have any diagrams unfortunately, but as far as I know, you jack up the car, take the rear wheel off, remove the drum (make sure the handbrake is off and that you're on a flat surface), and you'll see an adjuster with a notched wheel on it. With a screw driver resting on the stub axle, adjust the notched wheel so it starts rotating up. Once you've adjusted it up a bit, put the drum back on, spin it (with the handbrake still off) so that you can hear it very slightly "scuffing". Once this is ok, refit the drum and the wheel back on and do the other side.

#5 Old 06-15-2010, 07:08 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
No problem. I don't have any diagrams unfortunately, but as far as I know, you jack up the car, take the rear wheel off, remove the drum (make sure the handbrake is off and that you're on a flat surface), and you'll see an adjuster with a notched wheel on it. With a screw driver resting on the stub axle, adjust the notched wheel so it starts rotating up. Once you've adjusted it up a bit, put the drum back on, spin it (with the handbrake still off) so that you can hear it very slightly "scuffing". Once this is ok, refit the drum and the wheel back on and do the other side.

By the notched wheel do you mean the clip that looks like a half moon and has ~4 teeth on it?
I'm sorry, these clearly aren't proper terms at all.
#6 Old 06-15-2010, 07:27 PM
Full Throttle

Garage
Lol, no worries about the terminology.

Hmm, it should have more than 4-teeth on it, but that's all you may be able to see through the small hole. Turns out I do have a picture of it after all. It's the same as the notched wheel seen in this illustration:

#7 Old 06-16-2010, 03:48 AM
Full Throttle

Garage
Here's a blown up diagram of the rear brake drum. I've marked the notched wheel with red arrows. The illustration I posted in my previous post was from the inside of the wheel (back of the drum). Presuming you're adjusting it front on with the brake drum off, the notched wheel will be as pictured:

#8 Old 06-18-2010, 11:32 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Here's a blown up diagram of the rear brake drum. I've marked the notched wheel with red arrows. The illustration I posted in my previous post was from the inside of the wheel (back of the drum). Presuming you're adjusting it front on with the brake drum off, the notched wheel will be as pictured:

thank you.

We adjusted it via the inside and outside, and we cant adjust it any further, but the handbrake isn't gripping still.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Yaris, Vitz and Echo Forum