2003 Echo - Drive Belt Replacement - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Yaris, Vitz and Echo Forum Discussion area for all the Toyota Yaris and Echo owners worldwide.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-04-2011, 05:16 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2003 Echo - Drive Belt Replacement

I just bought a 2003 Echo and am having a hard time figuring out how to change the Drive belts. I have read that it does not have an automatic tensioner like most cars which seems to make this task more difficult. Does anyone have an in depth How-To for this preferably step by step with pictures, that would be so helpful. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-04-2011, 06:14 PM
JNEG

Do a search- I believe this was covered here recently with pics.
#3 Old 02-04-2011, 06:30 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I did a search before I created this post, it came up with a few but didnt have pictures or enough details. Maybe you or someone can direct me to the post or such information, thanks.
#4 Old 02-04-2011, 09:51 PM
JNEG

It was from another forum, sorry. Here 'tis:

http://echodrivers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16920

Good luck.
#5 Old 03-19-2011, 03:17 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNEG View Post
It was from another forum, sorry. Here 'tis:

http://echodrivers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16920

Good luck.

Dead link, can anyone else help. Im in the same boat.

Or just the simple low down on hard is this to do and easier from top of the motor or what ???
#6 Old 03-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Official TN Member

the outer larger belt for a/c and alternator is adjusted from the top. I used a prybar to gently swing the alternator so that the belt is tensioned before tightening it.
the smaller power steering belt is adjusted from underneath. you may want to powerwash underneath and let it dry before you do this one as it's a major pain.
if you're interested in performance, this is a good time to get a lightweight crank pulley and put it on
#7 Old 03-21-2011, 11:29 AM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005RS View Post
the outer larger belt for a/c and alternator is adjusted from the top. I used a prybar to gently swing the alternator so that the belt is tensioned before tightening it.
the smaller power steering belt is adjusted from underneath. you may want to powerwash underneath and let it dry before you do this one as it's a major pain.
if you're interested in performance, this is a good time to get a lightweight crank pulley and put it on

Thanks for the heads up on the power wash, I live in canada and the roads are a mess right now. I found a link for scion which is supposed to be simiar, looks like most of the work has to be done from the bottom.....

He is doing the pulley change like you mentioned.

http://scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24786
#8 Old 03-21-2011, 02:57 PM
Official TN Member

yep, that's the same setup, though I've never seen one so clean. like I said, if its the serpentine belt you're adjusting, then you don't have to crawl underneath.
also, unless you're replacing the pulley, you probably don't have to take off the plastic shroud to adjust the power steering pump belt, though removing the passenger side wheel may give you a little more room to work.
of course I don't have to mention that you have to put blocking or jackstands under the car if you have to work underneath it
#9 Old 12-10-2011, 08:29 PM
New TN User

Replaced my serpentine today and it was pretty simple.. in hindsight, I probably could have just tightened it up a bit and it would've been fine. Belt was actually in pretty decent shape still. Ah well, it's a spare in my trunk now.

I had planned on replacing the power steering belt as well, but I couldn't for the life of me get and kind of decent grip on those bolts.. not enough room. After ~30 minutes of fighting with it, decided just to leave it alone since it looked even newer than the serpentine.

2013 Highlander Sport 4WD
#10 Old 12-11-2011, 02:18 PM
RAM-Driver

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by birchy View Post

I had planned on replacing the power steering belt as well, but I couldn't for the life of me get and kind of decent grip on those bolts.. not enough room. After ~30 minutes of fighting with it, decided just to leave it alone since it looked even newer than the serpentine.
Good choice, ... I think you need to raise that corner, off the wheel and get some covers out of the way to get at that PS belt. I left my PS belt off and really like the "sporty" feel of the steering, not at all hard to turn. I carry it though as I can't bring myself to chuck a part that's not broken.

2000 Echo, 200,000kms, aftermarket cruise control (AudioVox CCS-100), Intelligent Battery Guard (CTC), Sirius Satellite Radio, Scangage II, Garmin GPS, synthetic engine and gearbox lubes , Silicone Brake Fluid, Power Steering belt removed, delighted with the "tiny perfect car"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Yaris, Vitz and Echo Forum