Toyota Nation Forum banner

02 Echo pops out if reverse

930 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Lesharoturbo 
#1 ·
My car started popping out of reverse a little while ago and its started happening more often. I asked my mechanic uncle about it and he said its probably the synchros. From my understanding, that means a rebuild of the tranny. Sadly I just got this car in Nov after writing off my Corolla in Oct. Is there anything else minor I could check?

#2 ·
Synchros in reverse? That is a new one on me. Typically you have synchros on your forward gears to remove "gear graunch" when shifting. IN the old days, you didn't have synchros or you had them only on the first 2 gears.

I am not familiar with the shifting mechanism on the ECHO, but some generic things to look at are listed below:

I would check the lube on the shifter mechanism and make sure nothing is bent or out of place. You didn't mention how many miles were on the car, but it may need to have some of the bits replaced if they are plastic. Both of these might be accomplished from inside the car after removing the console.

#3 ·
Synchros in reverse? That is a new one on me. Typically you have synchros on your forward gears to remove "gear graunch" when shifting. IN the old days, you didn't have synchros or you had them only on the first 2 gears.
Really I've talked to a few car guys and none of them have pointed that out.

The car has 222,000km on it. I bought it with 220. What part of the console do I have to take apart to get at that?

#4 ·
The part around the shifter needs to come out all the way to the floor. There may be 2 or 3 bolts holding the shifter mechanism to the car floor pan. Mine is an auto with one long console from the shifter to the seats

Doing some quick reading does indicate that some cars started getting a reverse synchro somewhere in the early 2000's. I am not sure why it is necessary. Even if it has a reverse synchro, I would eliminate the shifter first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.