Toyota Nation Forum banner

1988 4Runner: cranks, will not start...

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  texas12 
#1 ·
Hi,

Sorry if this has been covered already but I couldn't find anything related to my issue:

I have a 1988 4Runner automatic with a 22RE. I've owned it about a year now and since I bought it, I've always noticed a slight hesitation upon start up. As soon as it started, it would sound like it wanted to stall out immediately then it would clear up and idle fine.

Today I took it for a 30 minute ride and came home. about an hour later, I went to start it up and it did what it usually does only this time it stalled. I went to start it again and it felt like it turned over but stalled right away... as if it got a little gas then suddenly starved out. On the 3rd time it just cranked with no indication of receiving any fuel. Any thoughts???

Just curious, does my 4runner have an electric fuel pump?

Thanks guys for your help in advance.

"D"

#3 ·
Ever change your fuel filter. Should be on passenger side of engine below the intake manifold. Pain in the A$$ to get to. Also under the rear passenger seat should be an access panel to get to the top of the gas tank. You can pull the fuel pump out from there an there is a screen on the pick up that is easily replaced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.