1988 4Runner: cranks, will not start... - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > 4Runner Forum > 1st Generation (19841989)

1st Generation (19841989) Discussion area for the first generation Toyota 4Runner.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View mekaneckpain's Photo Gallery
1988 4Runner: cranks, will not start...

Hi,

Sorry if this has been covered already but I couldn't find anything related to my issue:

I have a 1988 4Runner automatic with a 22RE. I've owned it about a year now and since I bought it, I've always noticed a slight hesitation upon start up. As soon as it started, it would sound like it wanted to stall out immediately then it would clear up and idle fine.

Today I took it for a 30 minute ride and came home. about an hour later, I went to start it up and it did what it usually does only this time it stalled. I went to start it again and it felt like it turned over but stalled right away... as if it got a little gas then suddenly starved out. On the 3rd time it just cranked with no indication of receiving any fuel. Any thoughts???

Just curious, does my 4runner have an electric fuel pump?

Thanks guys for your help in advance.

"D"
mekaneckpain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 01:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
No More Turbos!

Garage
View Pwner Guy's Photo Gallery
Yup, 22R-E has EFI so it has an electric fuel pump.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
NY born, Texas raised

View texas12's Photo Gallery
Ever change your fuel filter. Should be on passenger side of engine below the intake manifold. Pain in the A$$ to get to. Also under the rear passenger seat should be an access panel to get to the top of the gas tank. You can pull the fuel pump out from there an there is a screen on the pick up that is easily replaced.

'88 4runner, V6, 5spd, sunroof, power everything, 185,000+ miles.
texas12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > 4Runner Forum > 1st Generation (19841989)