Rotor and pad replacement. 2004 4Runner - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > 4Runner Forum > 4th Generation (2003-2009)

4th Generation (2003-2009) Discussion area for the fourth generation Toyota 4Runner.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 09:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View benh43's Photo Gallery
Thumbs up Rotor and pad replacement. 2004 4Runner

I am planning on replacing my front rotors and front brake pads on my 2004 4Runner 4.0L Sport, with 17 in wheels myself and need help with a few questions -

1. I'm planning on purchasing OEM brake pads from the dealer, but I am shopping around for rotors. Does anyone have a suggestion on whether I should stick with OEM rotors or go for a particular aftermarket rotor?

2. Besides brake pads and rotors, what supplies/tools do I need to get the job of replacing the rotors and pads done? I have quite a bit of mechanics tools but I'm not sure if I need something special to get the rotor off.

3. How do I replace the rotors and pads?

I have a great mechanic, but he wants almost $600 to do this job. Any help anyone can offer on how to do this myself would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited by benh43; 03-31-2010 at 09:48 AM.
benh43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2010, 10:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $686665
View jetwhine's Photo Gallery
benh43,

No special tool required. Since it is full time 4wd the rotors come off once the caliper is removed. As far as rotors are concerned I would stick with OEM. Also I have seen 17" wheels with 16" wheel rotors on it from the factory. So before you buy make sure you know what is on your rig before you purchase. Also go with OEM pads. The pads come off quite easy. Pull the 2 pins and the pads will come off. The job is not that difficult. Have fun and good luck. PS..... Don't disconnect the brake line just swing the caliper out of the way and wire it up so the line won't get messed up.
jetwhine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2010, 11:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View benh43's Photo Gallery
Yes, mine actually does have rotors for 16 inch wheels even though i have 17 inch wheels.

Thanks for your help!
benh43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2010, 04:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

View desmo907's Photo Gallery
rotor removal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwhine View Post
benh43,

No special tool required. Since it is full time 4wd the rotors come off once the caliper is removed. As far as rotors are concerned I would stick with OEM. Also I have seen 17" wheels with 16" wheel rotors on it from the factory. So before you buy make sure you know what is on your rig before you purchase. Also go with OEM pads. The pads come off quite easy. Pull the 2 pins and the pads will come off. The job is not that difficult. Have fun and good luck. PS..... Don't disconnect the brake line just swing the caliper out of the way and wire it up so the line won't get messed up.

I just took off my front wheel (2004 4runner Sport 4x4 V6) to check the pad wear and of course 1 wheel stud fell out back. It is caught b/w the rotor and back plate. I suspect I must remove the caliper (which I now have hanging) and the rotor. However the rotor won't come/slide off. There seems to be a "cap" on the center and I am not sure if I need to remove that. My local mechanic said the rotor should just slide off so either its stuck or I need to do something else.

help?

thx
desmo907 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2010, 04:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
rwd_3tc

View rwd_3tc's Photo Gallery
use a hammer and knock it off.

To the TS. Make sure the caliper pistons move freely. 4Runners are known for seized calipers.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwd_3tc View Post
use a hammer and knock it off.

To the TS. Make sure the caliper pistons move freely. 4Runners are known for seized calipers.
Thx, That worked well..
I just hand pressed in the loose stud and will lightly line up the wheel and tighten.

Lining up those caliper bolts is a PIA.

Calipers have been fine (~70k miles now).
Old 08-16-2010, 08:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

I am thinking now with ~77k miles and last time I checked front pads they had about 1/3 left, that I may just replace the front pads and maybe the rotors as well. On hard braking the front seems a bit unstable and vibrates. I know way back ~30k miles the dealer replaced my front pads and cut the front rotors.

Since the rotors seem to come off easily with a little hammering I was thinking I may as well replace them with the pads.

I have seen some replacement rotors online and wonder of any opinions on them (EBC, Brembo, Mountain, etc.).

I have a 4x4 Sport model (V6) with 17" wheels. On some ads I see notes for some rotors for certain bolts patterns, diameters, rotor diameter, slotted, vented, etc. but figure they must be pretty standard.
But how do i determine what i have?

Thoughts?
Old 08-17-2010, 07:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $686665
View jetwhine's Photo Gallery
desmo97,

I prefer OEM rotors. And stock OEM pads. Do not use ceramic pads as they are hard on the rotors and cause the rotors to warp. If you have enough material on the rotors there is no reason that you can't have them turned. That will save you about $300 for new rotors. Also use anti seize on the matting surface of the rotors as this will make it much easier to remove next time.

Last edited by jetwhine; 08-17-2010 at 07:39 PM.
jetwhine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2010, 08:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE

Gameroom cash: $418400
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
View TOYOPARTSMAN's Photo Gallery
I would like to take this opportunity to chime in and say that if any of you are looking for an OEM source, I offer TN members 30% off MSRP and I only charge ACTUAL shipping costs plus $1.00 - $2.00 for materials, etc. I do not over inflate the shipping in order to make up for the discounted price, it isn't percentage or dollar based, it is actual shipping cost. More importantly, if you need anything, questions answered, opinions, or just what I may have seen in my 30+ years of Toyota parts experience, don't hestiate to get in contatct with me, even if you don't buy from me. I am in the forums just about every day.

Well, I just wanted to pass that along.

Hope to hear from you all and see you in the forum.
678-854-9601
TOYOPARTSMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > 4Runner Forum > 4th Generation (2003-2009)