how to replace your downstream O2 sensor - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Sienna Forum > 1st Generation (1998-2003)

1st Generation (1998-2003) Discussion area for the first generation Toyota Sienna.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2008, 10:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View sienna_pete's Photo Gallery
how to replace your downstream O2 sensor

Here's the best deal - by far:
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-13353-Oxygen-Sensor/dp/B000BZI1O6/ref=cm_cr-mr-img

This sensor IS an EXACT fit/replacement for your downstream sensor on a 1998 Toyota Sienna --- down to the wire holding clip.

The downstream sensor's connector on a 1998 Sienna is located under the front passenger seat.

*Remove the 4 - 14mm bolts holding down the seat.
*Prop the seat upward.
*Pull back on the carpeting slit to reveal the connector.
*Pinch the connector to remove the female end of it.
*Use a needle nose pliers to pull up and remove the rubber grommet from the floorboard, then push it down through the hole.
*Jack up the right front (behind right front wheel), then use a jack stand for safety.
Note: Make sure the exhaust pipe is well-warmed to the touch - for easier removal of the old sensor.
*Use a 22mm box wrench (counter-clockwise) to remove the old downstream sensor from the exhaust pipe.
*Install the new sensor (already contains anti-seize compound). Do not overtighten.
*Snake the wires/connector up through the floorboard.
*Use your needle nose pliers to pull the grommet up through the floorboard, then massage it into place with your fingers.
*Click the female connector into place.
*Re-install the seat.

Hey! You just saved big $bucks$ by doing this yourself.
sienna_pete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to sienna_pete For This Useful Post:
Slyko (03-01-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2009, 01:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Learner

View iogearz's Photo Gallery
#1 Way to go for me to bring back an old thread!
#2 I clicked on the link and used amazon's little thing to see if it's the right application and 1998 Toyota Sienna does not fit. Any reason why it says that even though sienna_pete said it's an EXACT fit?
#3 Good info! Thanks for the write up.
iogearz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2009, 12:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View ceastonoh's Photo Gallery
Sienna Pete,

Thanks for the info. I was about to go crazy finding how to plug and play this new O2 sensor. You saved me.

Charlie
ceastonoh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2009, 05:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $126925
View TierOneSupplier's Photo Gallery
OEM Denso o2 sensors $41 each

If you don't mind splicing the wires yourself, you can get the OEM Denso o2 sensor for $40.89. This is the "universal" sensor. I have three on the way from Rock Auto. The part number is 234-4209. While the plug and play sensors are more expensive, the only difference I can find is in the length of the wires, and of course the plugs that are NOT attached to the universal sensors.

From the DensoAftermarket and Rock Auto websites:
UNIVERSAL sensor P/N 234-4209 -> Rock Auto $40.89, has 11.77" wires
Front sensors (2 required) P/N 234-4622 -> Rock Auto $73.79; 12.6" wires
Rear sensor (1 required) P/N 234-4623 -> Rock Auto $81.99; 22.83" wires
TierOneSupplier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2010, 03:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $126925
View TierOneSupplier's Photo Gallery
o2 sensors replaced successfully!

A follow-up to my previous post, I replaced all three o2 sensors on our '98 Sienna using the Denso universal sensors. These are the same sensors as the plug-and-play sensors, but at half the cost. Denso provides a nifty butt-splice kit with these sensors, and this plus the fact that the color-coding scheme is the same as the original sensors makes it pretty much a fail-safe replacement. Denso is the OEM part, and at $40 each, it was the obvious choice. Another reason to use the universal sensor is that YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT HOW TO UNPLUG THE ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR HIDDEN UNDER THE INTAKE PLENUM! What you do with the sensor on the RH side (firewall side) of the engine is get under the van, unscrew the sensor, then standing in front of the vehicle, send a small rope down behind the engine with a large socket tied to it. Then get back under the vehicle, take off the socket and tie the old sensor to the rope. Then get back up, pull the rope up and there you have the old sensor in your hand, still connected to the troublesome plug. Cut the old sensor off, and proceed to use the butt-splice kit to make the electrical connection. Forget about trying to unplug that plug that you can't get both hands on, and you'll also save $33 or more by using the universal sensor instead of the one that already has the plug on it.

My P0420 code is gone and the check engine light is dark. MPG has jumped back up to 19.6 on the last tank (checked after the o2 sensors were changed), and this comes after several consecutive tanks getting 17.5 mpg on average. In fact, the lower MPG was my clue that P0420 was caused by the o2 sensors and not the cat.

In addition to using universal Denso sensors, I would also recommend using PB Blaster and giving it enough time to do its magic! Also, I had very good luck using the o2 socket set borrowed from Advance Auto. (You actually buy them for $29 but then get your money back when returned).

I used to think o2 sensors were the most misdiagnosed part on a car, but in this particular case, and with 260,000 miles on the van, they were ready for a swap-out.
TierOneSupplier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to TierOneSupplier For This Useful Post:
Slyko (03-01-2012)
Old 01-05-2010, 01:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View derick's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TierOneSupplier View Post
A follow-up to my previous post, I replaced all three o2 sensors on our '98 Sienna using the Denso universal sensors. These are the same sensors as the plug-and-play sensors, but at half the cost. Denso provides a nifty butt-splice kit with these sensors, and this plus the fact that the color-coding scheme is the same as the original sensors makes it pretty much a fail-safe replacement. Denso is the OEM part, and at $40 each, it was the obvious choice. Another reason to use the universal sensor is that YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT HOW TO UNPLUG THE ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR HIDDEN UNDER THE INTAKE PLENUM! What you do with the sensor on the RH side (firewall side) of the engine is get under the van, unscrew the sensor, then standing in front of the vehicle, send a small rope down behind the engine with a large socket tied to it. Then get back under the vehicle, take off the socket and tie the old sensor to the rope. Then get back up, pull the rope up and there you have the old sensor in your hand, still connected to the troublesome plug. Cut the old sensor off, and proceed to use the butt-splice kit to make the electrical connection. Forget about trying to unplug that plug that you can't get both hands on, and you'll also save $33 or more by using the universal sensor instead of the one that already has the plug on it.

My P0420 code is gone and the check engine light is dark. MPG has jumped back up to 19.6 on the last tank (checked after the o2 sensors were changed), and this comes after several consecutive tanks getting 17.5 mpg on average. In fact, the lower MPG was my clue that P0420 was caused by the o2 sensors and not the cat.

In addition to using universal Denso sensors, I would also recommend using PB Blaster and giving it enough time to do its magic! Also, I had very good luck using the o2 socket set borrowed from Advance Auto. (You actually buy them for $29 but then get your money back when returned).

I used to think o2 sensors were the most misdiagnosed part on a car, but in this particular case, and with 260,000 miles on the van, they were ready for a swap-out.
thanks for share!
derick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Sienna Forum > 1st Generation (1998-2003)