How to change Spark Plugs for 2001 SIenna XLE - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
1st Generation (1998-2003) Discussion area for the first generation Toyota Sienna.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-07-2009, 05:10 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
How to change Spark Plugs for 2001 SIenna XLE

Please guide how to change spark plugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
bump
#3 Old 03-08-2009, 02:01 PM
TN Post Wh*re

Try the AutoZone Websites Vehicle Repair guide section.

Do a TN history search on chainging sparkplugs 1MZ-FE. This engine was used in Camry, Avalon.
#4 Old 04-04-2009, 05:28 PM
New TN User

I just changed the six spark plugs of my 2000 Sienna a couple of weeks ago at around 85k miles. It's not that easy to change the back three plugs, but I succeeded to replace them without removing any parts.

There're several how-tos found on web, it's very helpful. They gave me confidence on how to do the job.

Tools I used: a 3/8 rachet, a 6-inch 3/8 socket extension bar, and of course, the 5/8 spark plug socket. I used a 3/8 stanley rachet bought from Walmart, still a little big. Later I found a very short husky rachet from home depot, it would be great if I had used this husky one.

The front three are very easy. Since you can't see the back three plugs, it's better to locate their position first. I just put my hand to the back of the engine and found the three boots before I even started, so that I know it's doable for me (My hands are not big, an advantage here), then I used my daughter's small mirror to check what are there and made sure I was right.

When you work on them, you have to learn your body on the engine part, so be sure the engine are cool down at that time.

I changed the right one first. First pull off the boot, then slowly slide in the 6inch extension with spark plug socket, then attach the rachet. Took the old plug out, put the new plug in. The middle one is the same thing, working from left side. The left one took more time, 'cause there's lots of wires there. Had to unclip the spark plug wires first.

It took me around two hours, lots of time spending on blindingly sliding in the socket, finding the holds, and attaching rachet. It needs patience and perseverence.

I used NGK iridium plugs and it's great. My wife told me the next day that she could feel the engine much more powerful than before.
The Following User Says Thank You to la99 For This Useful Post:
Shakman959 (08-30-2011)
#5 Old 04-05-2009, 09:08 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
great job.
I don't know why they located plugs like this to give everyone a hard time.

la99
can u let me know, how much fuel consumption is improved by that.
thanks.
#6 Old 08-28-2011, 10:59 PM
New TN User

I just replaced my spark plugs on my 98 Sienna. It took about as much time as it did for me to figure out how to register for this website and make this post. The Hanes manual had you removing the upper plenum, which I'm glad I didn't do as it was quite a bit of work. You can change the back three plugs without too much trouble. It's really the back plug on the passenger side that is a little tricky. The other two in the back weren't that hard. Like the other user said, its a good idea to take a quick look with a mirror to see what you are up against because most of the work is out of view. I got the job done with just a standard 3/8 socket set and extension with a spark plug socket. No universal needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to rmingo For This Useful Post:
Shakman959 (08-30-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Sienna Forum > 1st Generation (1998-2003)