Toyota Nation Forum banner

back cylinders ignition problem

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  KAH 
#1 ·
Hi there,

2001 Sienna CE, 190kmi. Check Engine light turned on. I scanned the codes and found a whole bunch of them at once: P1349, P0300, P0301, P0303, P0305 - all related to multiple misfires in cylinders: 1, 3, and 5. The engine was idling with significant detonation, and running pretty roughly.

I replaced all of the spark plugs, and swapped the coils between front and back cylinders, and cleared the codes. The car started running just fine and was doing so for about 70 miles. I almost thought I fixed it, when suddenly all that roughness returned back, and Check Engine light started flashing. I scanned the same bunch of codes plus occasional P0171 on bank2.

Now I suspect one of the injectors; will check it out on Sat. Anything else may be causing this issue? Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
#3 · (Edited)
Thank you for answer!

The P1349 could be indicating a timing problem, which could be causing the misfires. Have you had any work done recently, like the timing belt? I'd diagnose the VVT system as well as you can; one of the timing oil-control valves handles Bank 1, so could be the culprit.
No, I haven't done any timing-related jobs recently.

Thanks again, I'll check it out.

It seems like the rear solenoid went bad. I followed this link and replaced it, cleaning the other one and the filters as well:
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-first-generation/662865-vvt-solenoid-ocv-replacement-diy.html
Will see how it goes now. Thanks a bunch for pointing me to VVT!

#4 ·
This may seem like a dumb question, but just how did you
clean the one VVT oil solenoid ?

I replaced both of mine as I could not figure how to disassemble
the plunger assembly without destroying it.

Possibly just soaking the mechanical portion in some sort of solvent might have taken care of it but as I needed my Sienna I elected to just replace the two units.

The resistance of both coils was around 8 ohms so the coil
portion was probably good. So arguably, I probably replaced two
units that could have ben salvaged, if only I knew how to disassemble them.

So just how do you clean the VVT solenoids ? Any advice will be
appreciated. Thanks.

Ken H.

#5 ·
This may seem like a dumb question, but just how did you
clean the one VVT oil solenoid ?
I used WD-40 and some gun oil. Moved a little the plunger using a tiny screwdriver to apply a few drops in the opening. Connected 9v battery to the terminals and checked how the whole thing is working. The front solenoid was acting just fine while the back one staled. It seems like the coil went bad. Since I replaced it the car was running smoothly.

PS. Keep in mind that the problem may also be in the filters. Mine were pretty dirty. They are located next to the solenoids under M14 bolts facing the left fender.

#7 ·
As I have previously posted, this board gave me the
information and the confidence to tackle this job. And the
problem was resolved.

My thanks to all.

In regard to cleaning the solenoid, I wonder if making
a simple cleaning procedure would be possible.

I am thinking an A/C power supply, 60 cycle applied
intermittently to the coils while the business end was immersed
in penetrating.

Just thinking, now if I can just find the old units.

Ken H.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.