2004 Sienna/LE Control Arm Bushing - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Sienna Forum > 2nd Generation (2004-2010)

2nd Generation (2004-2010) Discussion area for the second generation Toyota Sienna.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2008, 11:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View Malc17's Photo Gallery
Canada 2004 Sienna/LE Control Arm Bushing

Just came back from the dealership and was informed that I need to replace the right side control arm bushing as it appears to be coming apart. The cost is going to add up to $1200 plus tax Canadian.
The Sienna only has 42,000 Km's on it and don't understand how this needs to be replaced. Thanks in advance.
Malc17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2008, 08:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
New TN User

View bds225's Photo Gallery
Talking

hello there corrosion has been causing these lower control arm bushing to rust and come apart they are not made with very good steel.I am a mechanic and we have manufactured a replacement bushing that any mechanic can put in for a fraction of the cost as replacing the whole control arm.The bushing can be purchased for about $58.00 from us and then you should be able to have a mechanic put it in for about an hour or two worth of labor.This would save you a lot of money i know the control arms are expensive i have pictures we took of a bushing we installed in a 99 sienna these bushing will fit 98-03 model years they may even fit other models too we are still researching this.The bushing are made of stronger steel and rubber then the factory ones. i have pictures of the old bushing too so you can actually see the difference of the two.
bds225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View dneusitz's Photo Gallery
Same issue with my '02 Sienna

I'd like to know if you replaced the bushings or the entire control arm.
tia
dneusitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View camlex's Photo Gallery
My mechanic replaced with after market entire control Arm.
part was $160+45 labor.

Thanks,
camlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

Lower Control Arm Bushing Kit

Picked up 2 replacement bushing kits for my '02 Sienna from http://parts.autopartsonlinecanada.c...rm+Bushing+Kit
Old 08-19-2008, 01:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

View PaddyD's Photo Gallery
Canada Note model/year differences!

Like the original poster, I too have just been informed that my 2004 Sienna XLE has separating control arm bushings and that they need replacing...to the tune of $1045, including alignment afterwards.

However, spurred by the postings here, I did a little research - calling my local repair place and getting a bit more info. Apparently, the bushings on the 2004 Sienna cannot be replaced by themselves; the entire control arm has to be replaced. This has made it easier for dealers (less time to install) but tougher on consumers, as the control arms are quite expensive. This situation is true of a number of the newer models (last 8 or 9 years) of Toyotas but NOT all of them. I suspect that the situation with the Siennas changed in 2004 with the new model; in some models the change occurred as far back as 1999, while others can still have the bushings alone replaced. (I think he mentioned the Avalon as an example of that) My local repair place could have done the repair for me, but as the control arms must be ordered from Toyota, there would not have been any savings, as most of the cost was in the part, rather than the labor.

BTW - I've looked online for third party control arms for the 2004 Sienna to no avail - though there are some "recycled" ones on eBay for those of you who like to take chances.
PaddyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

View jjjlll's Photo Gallery
I really need advice ... I have the same problem..

What will happen if u do not fix the bushing problem?

I have so many problem with this van.. used to be a toyota man... not now.

problem list.
replace gas tank and gas lick after the replacement. took them 2 weeks to fix the lick. ( recall)

driver side welding is bad ( toyota extend its warrenty to take care of this)

passenger seat belt being replace ( recall)

Brake pads need to replace every year in the first two year. Took it to a local repair shop and it is because the caliper are bad. ( 400 us for both)

driver side seat belt is hard to release.. require 300us to fix ( not fix yet)

electric door not working properly, it is scratching the side of the door. Toyata said it is the drive belt unit (??????)
and need to replace ( 900 us) ( not fix yet)

I can go on and on......
jjjlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
New TN User

View maclugnut's Photo Gallery
the control arm won't jump off the van when it fails. It will just slide down and rub on the frame. You'll know it when you hear it. Thud thud. Camlex is full of it. I can't find aftermarket parts for 2004 and later bushings. The only thing available for '04 to present is replacement control arms $$$. I'm waiting to see if something comes on the market. This bushing style is in every major manufacturer of van (for, chev, chrysler etc) very common problem at about 150,000 km.
maclugnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
New TN User

View jamilsh's Photo Gallery
Sienna 2004: control arm bushing and ball joint

I have 2004 sienna (will be 6 years old in two months). I just had automatic transmission and coolant replaced. At the same time service person called me and told me that control arm bushing is loose and I have to replace as soon as possible. and it will cost $1085+tax and wheal alignment. Looks like lots of 4-6 years old sienna are going to need control arm bushing replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyD View Post
Like the original poster, I too have just been informed that my 2004 Sienna XLE has separating control arm bushings and that they need replacing...to the tune of $1045, including alignment afterwards.

However, spurred by the postings here, I did a little research - calling my local repair place and getting a bit more info. Apparently, the bushings on the 2004 Sienna cannot be replaced by themselves; the entire control arm has to be replaced. This has made it easier for dealers (less time to install) but tougher on consumers, as the control arms are quite expensive. This situation is true of a number of the newer models (last 8 or 9 years) of Toyotas but NOT all of them. I suspect that the situation with the Siennas changed in 2004 with the new model; in some models the change occurred as far back as 1999, while others can still have the bushings alone replaced. (I think he mentioned the Avalon as an example of that) My local repair place could have done the repair for me, but as the control arms must be ordered from Toyota, there would not have been any savings, as most of the cost was in the part, rather than the labor.

BTW - I've looked online for third party control arms for the 2004 Sienna to no avail - though there are some "recycled" ones on eBay for those of you who like to take chances.
jamilsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
New TN User

View FXWeber's Photo Gallery
Holy Cow! I can't believe how Toyota is profiteering on this issue. Control arms for my Volvo S60 with the bushings are about $US 85 aftermarket and $150 OEM each and they are aluminum castings. I will be keeping my 2000 Sienna.
FXWeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
New TN User

View maclugnut's Photo Gallery
control arm

Here I am 2 years after I was first warned about seperating bushings and they have not deteriorated any further. I think this whole issue is a hoax by toyota dealers.
maclugnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Venzoid

Gameroom cash: $151859
View venzoid's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclugnut View Post
Here I am 2 years after I was first warned about seperating bushings and they have not deteriorated any further. I think this whole issue is a hoax by toyota dealers.
+1 above

My 02 van has been 100% reliable. But whenever I take it in, same story about the bushings. I ask is it a safety issue? Well no, not really. You might notice more tire wear on the front when it starts to become looser. Haven't noticed that. Pass. side seems to be worse but I'm not hearing any clanging yet. So just going to let it go. The van is getting long in the tooth, so why bother putting money into it now if it is not necessary?

BTW how long do these vans last? Will it be 100% reliable at 10 years old?

venzoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
New TN User

View heres2u's Photo Gallery
2005 Siena, same story

I noticed a slight wobble at high speeds from my recently purchased used 2005 Toyota Sienna. Had the wheels balanced and rotated. Still wobbles. The place that did the balancing said the passenger strut was "blown" or rather leaking and the control arm bushings were heavily worn. I suspect my wobble has something to do with one or both of those?

This Sienna has a mere 47,000 mi. on it! My previously owned Fords needed repairs too, but usually at higher mileage, when you might actually expect it. I'm not too impressed with my first Toyota thus far.
heres2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
New TN User

View heres2u's Photo Gallery
Sienna wobble fixed

Just got back from the repair shop. After two new front struts and links, my Sienna no longer has the steering wheel wobble.

Now I'll just wait for the control arm bushings to go bad...
heres2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
New TN User

The end of my story

Only got 40,000K out of those aftermarket bushings
I intend on keeping my '02 Sienna for a few more years, so I bit the bullet and bought 2 new control arms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Sienna Forum > 2nd Generation (2004-2010)