115 Volt Power Outlet - What can I use it for? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Sienna Forum > 2nd Generation (2004-2010)

2nd Generation (2004-2010) Discussion area for the second generation Toyota Sienna.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 10:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View junkyudog's Photo Gallery
Question 115 Volt Power Outlet - What can I use it for?

Hi guys,

I just bought a 2008 Sienna XLE Limited AWD and it came with two 115V power outlet.

I'm wondering what else I can plug into it other than the usual (cell charger, battery charger, laptop, tv, playstation, etc.). I'd like to go camping with my Sienna so I was thinking of bringing one of those big "domed" george foreman grill (1600 watt of output - not sure of the input). Also, I'd like to bring along a plug-in cooler.

If I do use the grill and the cooler at the same time, while watching a DVD on the entertainment system, will I end up killing the battery really fast? If so, how fast? like 1 hour? I have an Optima Red Top battery on the car - not sure if this will help me power up these things for more time than the regular OEM battery.

thanks!
junkyudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2008, 04:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View DanEz_yoda's Photo Gallery
The outlets are most likely rated for someting like 400 watts max. Even if they were rated for that amount of power, you would kill the battery really fast. Anything that electrically generates heat for a large mass (george forman, clothes iron, etc) will draw lots pf power. If the George forman is consuming 1500 watts that woula reqquire 125 Amps from the car battery. Thats HUGE and very likely more than even the stock AC outlet can provide. Even your upgraded battery won't supply this much current for long before its dead. Even with the car running your alternator will not put out 125 AMPs (thats usually a heady duty alternator rating at highway RPM) so you could run the battery down even with the car idling.

Look in your manual and see what the maximum power draw is form each socket is .

TO calculate the power look at your device power consumption ratings for all your devices you'd like to power together and add them together.

Last edited by DanEz_yoda; 10-04-2008 at 04:59 PM.
DanEz_yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Sienna Forum > 2nd Generation (2004-2010)