Power door latch is stuck / Bad latch release motor - (2004 Sienna) - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Sienna Forum > 2nd Generation (2004-2010)

2nd Generation (2004-2010) Discussion area for the second generation Toyota Sienna.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2008, 02:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View samwarr's Photo Gallery
Power door latch is stuck / Bad latch release motor - (2004 Sienna)

2004 Sienna with power sliding door issue

The power sliding door does not move, whether open or closed, using either driver's ceiling button or the button on the door frame. The motors hum and try to open/close the door but can't. I believe the door latch is not releasing the door.

Here are the pics of the door and the specific motor that I think is shot. The wires are supplying the 12V when the door control buttons are pressed but the motor I circle seems to just stutterand stop

The door works fine using the exterior or interior handles. I believe because they physically control the door latch through cables.

I googled the part number of that motor and nothing comes up. I want to fix this at minimal cost. Where can I find just this motor? Do I have to replace the entire power door motor assembly ( the entire black panel)? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Rich
samwarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2009, 08:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View j4x4ar3's Photo Gallery
Hey Rich.. did you ever get an answer to your question on this thread? This just happened to my 2004 Sienna today. The motor you circled basically has no more torque to pull the latch open and make it "pop". Using the handle releases the latch through the mechanism above. I'm trying to locate the part number as well for the motor and see what the cost may be for replacement... UGGGGG... I have a feeling this is going to be expensive.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View samwarr's Photo Gallery
j4x4ar3,

No response from this forum except yours. I called a part dealer who said that Toyota doesn't sell that particular motor separately. Sounds like they sell only the sliding door motor assembly in its entirety, i.e. everything mounted on the black panel in the picture . I think a replacement assembly costs near $500.

I just can't afford that repair so my next step was to browse ebay for a partial working sliding door motor assembly and try a motor swap. Though that may be a risky gamble.

Well, since November we've been basically using the manual release to activate the power sliding motor. One thing I've noticed since then is that the power slide motor does not start pulling the door open until the door has opened about 10 inches. I'm concerned that the repetitive manual tugging on the door (from the kids mostly) is weakening the motor. Just something else to watch for.

I wish I could help more. If you make any progress, please let me know. Good luck
samwarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Thanks for the feedback. I'm taking mine in on Friday. I confirmed that I still have my extended warrenty active until July of this year. There's a TSB for the cable problem from April 2004. If they won't cover the latch motor or say the whole door assembly needs replacment then I'm going to complain about the overall operation of the door and push the TSB on them.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
just a nobody

Supreme Member
View new echo owner's Photo Gallery
Have you look into this TSB to see if it applicable to your van: toyota.justanswer.com/uploads/snd27613/2008-07-17_221901_sienna_door_inop_tsib.pdf ?

N.E.O.
new echo owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Well took the van in today and let them know what I knew was wrong. Mentioned TSB EL004-04 dated April 2004 and said that if Toyota Corporate didn't want to cover the latch motor could they consider me being at the shop a "complaint" about the door and just do the whole thing per the TSB. I do have a 100,000/5 year extended warrenty on the van which expires in July of this year. I only have 70,000 miles on it as well. I didn't get all the details from the service advisor however he said that they are going to cover it and actually perform the whole TSB. I guess the motor can't be done by itself for the latch?? Anyway.. van will be out of service a few days so they're paying for a rental car for me as well. Probably all under my extended warrenty though. I have to say I've got a really good dealer and have never had problems getting work done. For others I would suggest maybe trying another dealer or another approach if they can't get things repaired.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

View Pamula's Photo Gallery
I am having the same problem-

Can I ask what the remedy was when it is repaired?? I have to take mine in next week.
Pamula is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Sienna Forum > 2nd Generation (2004-2010)