2010 Sienna w/ cracked windsheild? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2004-2010) Discussion area for the second generation Toyota Sienna.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-18-2010, 02:55 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2010 Sienna w/ cracked windsheild?

Hi all!

I just bought a 2010 Sienna LE a month ago and the windshield just cracked for no apparent reason. I have had Toyotas all my life and have never seen this- anyone else have this problem or is it just a fluke?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-19-2010, 05:39 AM
Official TN Member

Rare, but it happens

Sorry to hear about your windshield. These incidents are very rare, but they do happen, especially in cold weather like we just experienced. I worked several years for a glass supplier to Toyota and from time to time we received odd reports from cold weather locales. The most interesting was a sidelite disintegrating (due to imperfections in the glass) as if it had been struck, but according to the report, it had not.
#3 Old 01-25-2010, 08:36 AM
New TN User

Check with your manufacturers warranty. By State law in Florida, windshields are covered 100% under insurance.

Dan
#4 Old 01-31-2010, 03:17 PM
New TN User

My 2010 Sienna windshield cracked, but in this case it was due to a small rock hitting it, and very cold temperature cracking it the full width. It was fully covered by my auto insurance, and fixed in 45 minutes when the glass installer came out to the house. Did a great job, BUT, a replacement OEM EQUIVALENT windshield made in CHINA was used. I questioned the installer about this, wanting an original Toyota OEM windshield for the replacement, and he said that this was a Federally approved OEM equivalent replacement. So that was that. No problem with it so far. As far as I know, your insurance should also cover it 100%, not a penny to be spent on your part. Insurance recommended Safelight as the glass installer, and they have offices & mobile repair trucks all over the country. Why yours cracked I don't know, but you should have little trouble (except for your time) in getting it replaced.
#5 Old 03-01-2010, 09:03 PM
New TN User

2nd Generation Siennas - Cracked Windshields

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatandtoy View Post
Hi all!

I just bought a 2010 Sienna LE a month ago and the windshield just cracked for no apparent reason. I have had Toyotas all my life and have never seen this- anyone else have this problem or is it just a fluke?
Regarding the cracked windshield. There are no objective data to support this, but based on my experience with similarly cracked windshields on two different model year Toyota Siennas (both 2nd generation) on two separate occasions, I’m convinced there may be a design flaw. Here is my story. I rented a 2009 Sienna (~35k odometer miles) for a week long family trip. A few days into the trip, a small star burst chip was observed in the glass at the base of the windshield at about the center of the dashboard. Due to normal windshield stress and thermal expansion of the glass, the chip eventually developed into a 10 inch crack. Ironically, 9 months later, I took delivery of a 2010 Sienna as a loner vehicle (~6k odometer miles). I picked up the van at night and was not able to fully inspect the vehicle, however, the following morning, upon closer inspection, I noticed that the windshield had a similar chip in the glass in the same location as was observed in the 2009 rental. Granted, not knowing the vehicle histories, these windshield adverse events could be due to random chance alone, but, based on my experiences described above and the fact that others are describing similar incidents suggest it may be otherwise. The Sienna windshield is an expansive piece of glass, and, in its present application, it may very well be prone to cracking under circumstances not always related to physical insult.

Last edited by Toyota-san; 03-01-2010 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Clarity
#6 Old 03-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Official TN Member

Oh boy... smells like another recall for Toyota....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Sienna Forum > 2nd Generation (2004-2010)