Toyota Nation Forum banner

Towing a pop-up camper

5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  sfhondapilot 
#1 ·
I am thinking about purchasing a pop-up camper for my family and I to camp with. I would like some advice on getting a trailer hitch installed and how much weight I could tow with my Sienna.

I have a 2004 Sienna XLE with the towing package.

I am looking at getting a pop-up camper between 2000-3000 lbs.

It is me, my wife and two kids. So four people with luggage and camping gear.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

NC

#2 · (Edited)
TOW info should be in your owners manual. I think the sienna is rated at 3500lb. You could install a hitch yourself or go to a place like U-haul. Hitches are maybe $200-300 plus install (wiring). Reese, Draw-tite are popular brands.

Given that the 3500# rating INCLUDES you, your wife, kids, gear etc! - so assuming you, wife, kids, gear etc is 700lb (dogs, coolers, bikes, camping gear, canoe, etc) you would max out around 2800lb

I would get as "light" a trailer as possible. Be sure you are looking at the "wet" trailer weight.. ie, including any "extras" or even little things like "gallons of fresh water" "grey water" etc as these will also count against you.

Some folks like to upgrade/add "air bags" to the rear suspension to prevent sagging under loads. Wieght distribution hitches can also be used.

#3 ·
I just installed a Curt 13256 (class III) that I bought from JC Whitney. I had free shipping and received a free ball mount with it. I think it was around $140. I chose class III since a 2" receiver gives more options. 6 bolts and it was very easy to install. Only problem is my 2006 XLE didn't have bolts in the predrilled holes so rust had set in the threads and couldn't get the bolts to take. I bought a M12X1.25 tap from Menards since my friends set I borrowed didn't have it. Best $5 I spent. Ran it through it to clean the threads out and bolts went in like a breeze. I live in Indiana so salt was a factor but if you live in non salt areas, probably only have to clean it out with a brush.

If you haven't done so, check siennachat.com. There is a towing forum with a ton of useful information on towing. They have DIY for wiring and for an airlift system with good instructions and pictures.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.