Backup Camera and Mirror install - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Sienna Forum > 2nd Generation (2004-2010)

2nd Generation (2004-2010) Discussion area for the second generation Toyota Sienna.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View jatin's Photo Gallery
Backup Camera and Mirror install

I have 08/Sienna/LE.
I want to install a backup camera and a mirror that has video from the camera.
I am looking for advice on 1) how to do it and 2) suggestion on brand of the camera and the mirror.
Nearby shop says they can do it for $550 which I think it is too much.
jatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2010, 03:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
New TN User

View steph280's Photo Gallery
I did this install on my 04 back when we first got it, using a camera named "Savv RV5000". It is still working perfectly after 7 years. I don't know if these are still available now, but make sure whatever camera you pick has wide angle coverage, low light visibility, and of course water proof. The Savv has been perfect in these respects.

I did not have the monitor in mirror setup, but a couple of us (from old sinnnaclub.org) figured out how to hook it up to a Toyota navigation unit's screen. Power from splicing into the backup light socket, so it turns on automatically when shifted into reverse.

Yes $550 is way too much. If you are semi-handy, this is a very easy install.
steph280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View luck4u2u's Photo Gallery
If you want to do as a DIY project, JC Whitney has a wireless backup camera on sale for $49.99. Note you still need to wire the rear camera with your tailgate light. The LCD screen connects the rear camera wirelessly.

ww.jcwhitney.com/peak-wireless-back-up-cameras/p2020689.jcwx?skuId=540400&filterid=j1

Somebody made a step by step detailed installation on 2008 Sienna LE. It's for a different product, but I think the instruction pretty much gives you the idea on how to do it.

http://www.edgewoodexpress.com/vr3backupcamerainstall/

Last edited by luck4u2u; 12-07-2010 at 09:14 PM.
luck4u2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

View jatin's Photo Gallery
Thank you for suggesting Savv RV500 and the link to step by step install.
I have seen OEM installs that includes Mirror that has Video that turns on while van is in reverse gear and a backup camera. For this installation nearby shop is charging $550. I can do install myself. I want suggestion on good quality brand names mirror that has video capability.

Wireless option is definately a good option with quite a good price.
jatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Sienna Forum > 2nd Generation (2004-2010)