Sienna Driver Door Clicking Noise - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Sienna Forum > 2nd Generation (2004-2010)

2nd Generation (2004-2010) Discussion area for the second generation Toyota Sienna.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2011, 02:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View amamdani15's Photo Gallery
Sienna Driver Door Clicking Noise

Every time i open and close my door on my 2005 sienna it makes this weird clicking noise. any idea what is going on? all the bolts and nuts are tight around it so they couldnt be making the noise. you can hear the noise in the video but it isnt the greatest quality since it is from my phone. if i cant figure it out ill try to upload a better quality video.
any help is appreciated.
thanks

i wasnt able to embed the video so here is a link

Last edited by amamdani15; 01-15-2011 at 02:12 PM. Reason: adding video
amamdani15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2011, 06:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $345410
View aanders's Photo Gallery
You should have received a letter from Toyota a couple of years ago re; this problem, they had maybe still do, an extended warranty for this problem, the whole door has to be replaced because of bad weld. Call Toyota customer service, the number is in your owners manual.
aanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

thanks for the quick reply...all i can say is that that doesnt sound good. im 2 months outside my 5 year warranty and wonder why it couldnt have happened earlier. ill call toyota monday and see what happens.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View piste's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aanders View Post
You should have received a letter from Toyota a couple of years ago re; this problem, they had maybe still do, an extended warranty for this problem, the whole door has to be replaced because of bad weld. Call Toyota customer service, the number is in your owners manual.
Mostly true...except the fix does not require door replacement.
piste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

actually it MAY require the door to be replaced. if there is a crack then they need to replace the whole door. it even says so in the TSB.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amamdani15 View Post
actually it MAY require the door to be replaced. if there is a crack then they need to replace the whole door. it even says so in the TSB.
Ahh..I did not realize that and that's very different than "HAS to be replaced". Mine did not need to be replaced.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $345410
View aanders's Photo Gallery
My letter said the warranty on the door would be extended to 5 years or 100,000 miles. Andy
aanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
New TN User

View WJardine's Photo Gallery
I had the same problem with my driver side door. The latch assembly actually broke free from the door frame, brought it to the dealer they said there was no recall on this and was not covered under warranty. 3 weeks later the back siding door latch assembly broke free from the door frame. Called customer service and they were not aware of any recalls on these parts.
WJardine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJardine View Post
I had the same problem with my driver side door. The latch assembly actually broke free from the door frame, brought it to the dealer they said there was no recall on this and was not covered under warranty. 3 weeks later the back siding door latch assembly broke free from the door frame. Called customer service and they were not aware of any recalls on these parts.
Guess they are calling it a warranty enhancement instead of a recall...

http://sites.google.com/site/toyotasiennadefects/
Old 02-09-2011, 10:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
New TN User

View notimpressed's Photo Gallery
My driver door just started this same problem about a week ago. Mine is a 2004 with 128,000km. Does this ever occur with the passenger door? I only ever see mention of the driver door.
Also, how long will my door last without a fix? What'll happen? Will my door fall off? Stay stuck open? .....
notimpressed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
New TN User

View 2nd_Gen_Sienna's Photo Gallery
I had this problem with mine, luckily I found the letter. The toyota dealer that I went to didn't have a body shop so they sent it to a local bodyshop. They switched the door and they color matched it... It took them about 3 try's, one to paint it then poorly align it, then one to try to align it again, then one more to align it and switch something in the assembly, because the door was slightly droping... honestly I kind of wish I would have just mended it myself. If your mechanically savy or have a friend that you trust to work on your vehicle I would drill out the spot welds on the door and on the piece that snaped off and I'd either respot weld it in or rivet it to the door were the spot welds go. Chances are if you take it to the dealer or a bodyshop to get it fixed they will swap the door because its easyer and MORE EXPENSIVE to swap a door than to respot weld something back in.
2nd_Gen_Sienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
New TN User

View notimpressed's Photo Gallery
I called Toyota Canada regarding this problem and they advised me to see the dealer. Went to the dealer and they can't do anything about it, as the warranty expired 2009. The dealer said they would start a case for us and send a cost estimate/concerns to Toyoto Canada.

I then called TC again and they also said they couldn't do anything outside of the warranty. They said they would log my complaint and start an investigation. I cited the many websites I found regarding this problem and the numerous complaints and stories that I've read. Basically, I was made to feel that I shouldn't believe everything I read on the internet. I asked why I didn't receive a letter/recall/bulletin, like other people received and they said "What letter?". Apparently there is no letter/recall on this problem according to TC.

For now, all I do is wait. By the way, they won't be calling me back. I will have to follow up with TC after their "investigation".

How do I fight my case now? I need some proof that this is a common problem. TC or the dealer is not willing to share any stats/complaints. The TC website doesn't list any recalls/bulletins either.
Was the letter sent to US customers only? Any Canadian customers receive it?
Any help would be appreciated.
notimpressed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $108603
View toyotoyo's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by notimpressed View Post
I called Toyota Canada regarding this problem and they advised me to see the dealer. Went to the dealer and they can't do anything about it, as the warranty expired 2009. The dealer said they would start a case for us and send a cost estimate/concerns to Toyoto Canada.

I then called TC again and they also said they couldn't do anything outside of the warranty. They said they would log my complaint and start an investigation. I cited the many websites I found regarding this problem and the numerous complaints and stories that I've read. Basically, I was made to feel that I shouldn't believe everything I read on the internet. I asked why I didn't receive a letter/recall/bulletin, like other people received and they said "What letter?". Apparently there is no letter/recall on this problem according to TC.

For now, all I do is wait. By the way, they won't be calling me back. I will have to follow up with TC after their "investigation".

How do I fight my case now? I need some proof that this is a common problem. TC or the dealer is not willing to share any stats/complaints. The TC website doesn't list any recalls/bulletins either.
Was the letter sent to US customers only? Any Canadian customers receive it?
Any help would be appreciated.
You can start an arbitration process, go to PAVAC website.
I know how you feel, in my case i'll have to go legal on TC...
toyotoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
New TN User

View kklin's Photo Gallery
Horrendous experience with Toyota Consumer Affairs and my purchase dealer (Piercey Toyota San Jose CA) on this issue.

They refused to help citing a lawsuit settlement agreement that prohibits them to assist in anyway (after extended warranty).

Toyota Consumer Affairs is terribly bureaucratic. They don't return phone calls, no emails, don't get to work after 9:30am, always on vacations, etc..

This is my first time using them. I own 3 Toyotas as recently as a new Camry this September - I am totally appalled by their treatment to loyal customer. Probably no Toyota for my next car since they don't standby their quality and customers.

Has anyone heard about this lawsuit?
Any suggestion on the next step?
Should I just go to local body shop and fix it myself?

Thanks for your advice!
kklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
New TN User

Gameroom cash: $133800
View bbbuzzy's Photo Gallery
The clicking noise may not be the aforementioned bad weld. The weld issue is well-known and certainly a failure point many have experienced. However, my van also had a clicking noise and it was fairly easy to see that the cause was the plastic case/cover of the door check strap.That's the black piece in the video. This part prevents the door from swinging too far and prevents damage to the hinges. The strap is metal, but seems to slide inside a plastic case. My case was cracked and the edges of the crack would rub against eachother and cause the click. I ordered a new part (68620-AE011, $72 from Titus-Will Toyota online) and had my local body shop replace it ($35). Noise is gone!
bbbuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bbbuzzy For This Useful Post:
kklin (11-14-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Sienna Forum > 2nd Generation (2004-2010)