Replacing a Sienna windshield - $400 estimate - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2004-2010) Discussion area for the second generation Toyota Sienna.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-09-2011, 01:30 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Replacing a Sienna windshield - $400 estimate

Hi, I have a 2007 Sienna CE 6-cylinder. There are four rocks hits in the windshield which have resulted in cracks all over it. They all occurred while I was traveling on the interstate in Delaware, Illinois, Arizona, and Oklahoma in 2008 and 2009. I actually had two rock hits/cracks in just three days (the Arizona and Oklahoma cracks) in 2009, believe it or not. For 3 of the 4 cracks, I was traveling behind a dump or cement truck at the time.

I did not have collision or comprehensive insurance at the time. I also could not have the first crack repaired right away because I was on a strict deadline and on the road, so the initial crack ran along my entire windshield the next few days. So after rock hits/cracks 2, 3, and 4 on the same windshield in the next year, it didn't really matter since it was already cracked.

I decided to have it fixed and got a quote from my Toyota dealer:

$400 from their contractor with aftermarket glass
or
$1,000+ by the dealer's auto body shop with OEM glass

My questions are as follows:

1. Are the above quotes fair?

2. I never had a crack in my windshield from 1991 to 2007 and from 2010 to present. Were the four hits while I was traveling in 2008 and 2009 just flukes?? Should I expect rocks hits to be a normal thing, especially with a larger car like a Sienna? If so, why bother replacing the windshield? I actually drove small sub-compact cars from 1991-2007, so there wasn't much of a target to hit.

3. I put in clear nail polish (which I carried in my purse) immediately after two of the above cracks, and that actually stopped the cracking for a year. I refilled the holes with clear nail polish every 3 months or so, whether it was needed or not. Then one day when we had a sudden temperature change, the sealed-up cracks burst and ran to the end of the windshield, even with the nail polish! I was shocked. Is clear nail polish advisable to stop cracks, or is there something better that I can use in a bind? In the future, if the guy comes to fix (not replace) a crack that hasn't ran, will the clear nail polish already there stuck in the hole be a problem for him?

4. Will the guy replace my windshield at my home if I live in a large apartment complex with crowded parking? Or do I have to travel to his place?

Thanks!

Last edited by mileena; 11-09-2011 at 01:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Official TN Member

It is normal to have chips hit the windshield when you are driving on highways where most of the times, the chips are thrown on from the tires of the tractor trailers or large trucks, with high velocities.

I have had two windshields cracked because of chips.

The first one was my Camry 1994. My insurance had a deductible of $500 and a auto glass repairer referred to by my insurer quoted $300 with parts and labor inclusive. Hence, I decided to do some searching and found someone on craigslist who came to my home with an aftermarket windshield and did a wonderful job replacing the broken one for only $150 (all inclusive).

The second one in March this year was my 2008 Camry Hybrid. Fortunately I have a zero deductible policy now and hence my insurance company paid a auto glass repairer (Speedy Glass) $750 to replace mine.

Check with your insurance company and based upon your deductible, you should decide whether you want to get it repaired by a fancy shop or by a mobile glass repairer who operates out of his garage or even out of his car.
Aftermarket glasses are almost the same as OEM. They are supposed to be made to a North American Standard. Typically these guys have the tools and when they get a call from a distraught car owner, they go to a glass warehouse pick the one that will fit your car, come to your place - finish the job in an hour at the most, collect cash from you and later on they pay off the glass seller.

As soon as you see a crack in your windshield, it is advisable to replace it asap because the next time the chip flies through the crack may hit you like a bullet from a gun.

A Sienna glass may cost $50 more than a Camry.

Here is two advtt that I just saw on Kijiji here in Canada.

I. AUTO GLASS REPAIRS AND REPLACEMENT

GLASS FOR ANY CAR OR TRUCK
MOST FOR $180 INSTALLED!

THAT INCLUDES A BRAND NEW WINDSHIELD WITH WARRANTY;
PROFESSIONAL INSTALLATION WITH THE HIGHEST QUALITY MATERIALS AND WORKMANSHIP!

STONE CHIP REPAIRS FOR ONLY $39

WINDSHIELDS
DOOR GLASS
BACK GLASS
QTR GLASS
RE&RE'S
WINDOW REGUALTORS
MIRROR REPAIR / REPLACEMENT
WINDOW TINTING
SUNROOF REPAIRS
WATER LEAK REPAIRS

CALL US TODAY!

289-838-8431
LOCATED IN BURLINGTON
1392 GRAHAMS LANE

FREE MOBILE SERVICE

II.
GTA Auto Glass Repair Clinic
Address 2492 St Clair Ave W, Toronto, ON M6N 1L2, Canada

Inexpensive Stone Chip Repairs ($35 and up) or Free with Your Insurance Glass Coverage
Prevents Damaged Glass From Spreading
Mobile Services Within the GTA
Glass Claims Will Not Increase Your Insurance Premium
Most Insurance Companies Will Waive Your Deductible
Most Insurance Accepted

Last edited by johnjan; 11-12-2011 at 06:34 PM.
#3 Old 11-15-2011, 07:13 AM
New TN User

Stay away from large trucks to avoid rock chips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Sienna Forum > 2nd Generation (2004-2010)