how to change out the transmission oil - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2004-2010) Discussion area for the second generation Toyota Sienna.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-19-2012, 10:05 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
how to change out the transmission oil

I have a 2006 toyota sienna and was wondering if anyone has a step by step on changing out the transmission oil? does the vehicle require changing the transmission gasket seal at the same time? is there a transmission filter that needs replacing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-20-2012, 08:53 PM
Do you feel lucky?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Thanked 4,777 Times in 3,328 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I'm not aware of anyone having done a DIY write-up for a 2nd Gen Sienna transmission fluid change. A quick search also didn't turn anything up. Unless someone can chime in with a video or something your best bet would be to buy a copy of the factory service manual. Nothing like the getting the info straight from the FSM....

There's a brand new, unopened copy of the FSM on CD for sale on Ebay for $6.99 plus shipping. I'd jump on that before it's gone. Check it out here. Also a hard copy version for $41.95 located here.

-------------------------

2008 Highlander Base 4WD
2002 Avalon XL
1987 Suzuki Samurai 4X4 - Treading where no Jeep can follow....
#3 Old 03-20-2012, 09:07 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailDust View Post
I'm not aware of anyone having done a DIY write-up for a 2nd Gen Sienna transmission fluid change. A quick search also didn't turn anything up. Unless someone can chime in with a video or something your best bet would be to buy a copy of the factory service manual. Nothing like the getting the info straight from the FSM....

There's a brand new, unopened copy of the FSM on CD for sale on Ebay for $6.99 plus shipping. I'd jump on that before it's gone. Check it out here. Also a hard copy version for $41.95 located here.
AWSOME! I just ordered one. thanks for the quick heads up on this... much appreciated.
#4 Old 03-20-2012, 11:23 PM
Official TN Member

Since the Sienna and Highlander (and I suspect Camry) are fairly similar, this might be of help. automatic transmission pan bolt removal

If you remove the nuts on the transmission mounts, you can jack up the tranny enough to get better access to the pan bolts.
#5 Old 04-24-2012, 11:10 AM
Official TN Member

Canada

If you are just replacing the transmission fluid, then it is just a matter of taking a 14 mm wrench and removing the transmission drain plug bolt. It is located on the bottom of the transmission pan. Toyota vehicles do not have transmission filters to replace. It is just a matter of dump and fill. It should take 3.5 liters of type T4 fluid. I usually use a container that allows me to see the measured amount of fluid that was removed. That is the way I have been doing it at the dealership for years.
#6 Old 04-26-2012, 08:31 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKWISIT1 View Post
If you are just replacing the transmission fluid, then it is just a matter of taking a 14 mm wrench and removing the transmission drain plug bolt. It is located on the bottom of the transmission pan. Toyota vehicles do not have transmission filters to replace. It is just a matter of dump and fill. It should take 3.5 liters of type T4 fluid. I usually use a container that allows me to see the measured amount of fluid that was removed. That is the way I have been doing it at the dealership for years.
Actually, when changing the fluid, it is good to take the bottom of the pan off as well after draining through the drain plug, in order to change the filter and pan gasket.

This is because there is a lot of fluid that will remain if you don't take the pan off. Also, you will be able to see if there are any metal filings that you should be worried about in the future (tranny coming apart???). You should clean completely the inside of the pan, noting the place of the magnets. Magnets need to go back exactly!!!! where you found them. Those magnets also need to be cleaned.

By cleaned, I mean wiped off.

2001 Toyota Camry LE V6 with 156k miles
2007 Toyota Sienna LE with 89k miles
#7 Old 04-26-2012, 04:36 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKWISIT1 View Post
Toyota vehicles do have filters to replace. It's just that many people neglect them because Toyota doesn't specifically say to do it.

Filters are dirt cheap and it's worth replacing them. Rock Auto has them for around $15:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=8600

Either the WIX or the Beck/Arnley would be fine. You don't necessarily have to switch out the pan gasket if the old one isn't leaking, it should be a rubber type which is reusable. The WIX filter, for example, comes with a cork gasket, you definitely want to throw that out and keep the rubber one.
#8 Old 05-21-2012, 07:19 AM
Official TN Member

how many miles on vehicle?

i took my 2008 model in for trans oil and filter change at 60K
dealership called me back and said the vehicle only has 60K miles. Trans oil change is not recommended until 100k so i when down and picked it up.

will take it back at 100k.

my old 2002 model toy van was scheduled for a trans fluid change at 60K, so i figured this one was too.

this 2008 model is much improved van,
#9 Old 06-30-2012, 10:13 PM
New TN User

I just changed my transmission fluid and filter today

It is not a very complicated procedure. The haynes manual that you can buy at Advance Auto Parts or Auto Zone is the one that I use. I bought the transmission filter and fluid at Advance Auto Parts as well. I used a Beck / Arnley filter that came with a rubber gasket and 4 quarts of Castrol Import Transmission Fluid. If you look at the back label of the Castrol Transmission it states that it meets the requirements of the Toyota T-IV fluid that is used in my 2005 Sienna. Here's how the process goes assuming you already have your van on jack stands of ramps:

1) With the transmission at operating temperature, remove the drain plug and drain the fluid into a drain pan. You should get between 3.5 quarts and a gallon. Once you have finished drining reinstall and tighten the plug so you don't forget it later.

2) Remove the transmission pan bolts. Some are a little hard to access but I was able to get to most with a ratchet socket and extension. You will get a little more fluid out when you drop the pan.

3) Once you drop the pan, you will see the filter. It is held in by 3 bolts. Remove the bolts and pull straight down on the filter.

4) Put a little clean fluid around the o-ring on the new filter and push it into place. Reinstall the 3 bolts snugly but do not over tighten.

5) Clean the pan but don't change the position of the magnets. My Sienna had two magnets.

6) Remove the old gasket and clean the gasket mating surfaces of both the pan and the transmission.

7) Install the new pan and gasket. I used gasket sealant but you may not need to. I wanted the added insurance against transmission leaks.

8) Reinstall the transmission pan bolts. Be careful not to overtighten. The transmission housing is aluminum and if you overtighten the bolts you can strip the bolt holes.

9) Double check the drain plug is tight and recheck the pan bolts are snug.

10) Put in about 3.5 quarts of fluid and check your level.

My Sienna had about 135,000 miles at the time of the change. My transmission pan was pretty clean even though the fluid was black. I'm planning on doing a transmission fluid drain and fill each time I change my oil until the fluid color is closer to the red color that it should be. I probably won't change the filter again until around 200,000 miles if we still own the van then. I didn't find any metal particles or anything in my pan that would give me cause for concern that my transmission was close to failure.

Hope this helps someone.

As long as you can tell the transmission pan from the oil pan you should be able to work through this without needing a manual if you are mechanically inclined.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rbelue For This Useful Post:
donniedt (04-01-2014), TierOneSupplier (03-09-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Sienna Forum > 2nd Generation (2004-2010)