Rear hatch won't open - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2004-2010) Discussion area for the second generation Toyota Sienna.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-29-2012, 07:51 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Rear hatch won't open

I cannot get my rear hatch on my 2004 Sequoia opened. I replaced the handle which was originally the problem as well as the cable. It appears as though the latch mechanism is jammed as I can't open it using the lever inside the door. The power door lock also does not work, so I can't unlock it either ( supposing this was the problem). Any ideas how to open the hatch?
Thanks, Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-01-2012, 04:13 PM
Do you feel lucky?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Thanked 4,832 Times in 3,370 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I was curious and did a Google search, and all I came up with was the following. It's for a 2000, but you never know it could be applicable to your 2004:

Quote:
The fix is easy, sort of. From the inside of the van, remove the bolts holding the handle and the pull strap on the hatch (inside). Then, starting from the top of the window, remove the plastic molding. It just snaps off. After you remove the top window plastic, then remove the molding on either side of the window, and finally, the large piece covering the inside of the hatch. Once you remove all the plastic, you will see a cable leading to the hatch clasp at the bottom of the door. Just pull the cable and the hatch will open.

-------------------------

2008 Highlander Base 4WD
2002 Avalon XL
1987 Suzuki Samurai 4X4 - Treading where no Jeep can follow....
#3 Old 06-02-2012, 08:39 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the response Traildust. I have removed the covers and tried this, but the lever on the mechanism won't budge. I tried to see if it is locked, but it seems my power lock at the back is not working either. I will need to gain access or remove the latch mechanism in a different way.
#4 Old 06-02-2012, 04:59 PM
Do you feel lucky?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Thanked 4,832 Times in 3,370 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Only thing i can suggest if you want to continue troubleshooting the issue yourself is (if you don't own a copy of the factory service manual) for you to purchase a two-day, $15 subscription to Toyota's TIS (Technical Information System), which will allow you access to every diagram and source of info for your Sienna. That would probably help a lot in figuring out the what and where. Let us know how things progress with this issue.

-------------------------

2008 Highlander Base 4WD
2002 Avalon XL
1987 Suzuki Samurai 4X4 - Treading where no Jeep can follow....
#5 Old 06-04-2012, 07:18 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks again traildust. I managed to get it opened. The latch which gets pulled by the cable was jammed so I used a screw driver and a hammer to move the lever that the latch actuates. It was helpful to have the replacement one in my hand to see how it works. I installed the new one and the door can now be opened by moving the latch, but the handle doesn't pull the cable far enough. Maybe there is some adjustment to take up the slack? I have now replaced the handle, cable, and latch.
Rob
#6 Old 09-16-2013, 08:01 AM
New TN User

rear hatch latch, continued

...a year later...I was wondering if you have pictures or video of the replacements you did for the handle, lever and latch. I think my handle and lever are fine, but the door rarely opens when I pull my handle. I removed all the panels inside to take a look but I cannot actually see the bottom latch from there. when I do get the door open I noticed that the bottom latch is very stiff and hard to maneuver. I would gladly just replace the whole bottom latch but I don't know how to get it out, and then of course there is the unknown of installing the new one.
#7 Old 09-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I wonder if the mechanism is different on the Sequoia? I think I would have posted this on the Sequoia forum.

Regards,
Steve

'08 Sienna LE FWD
'13 Tacoma PreRunner SR5 Double Cab Long Bed Texas Edition 4x2
#8 Old 09-16-2013, 11:37 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Also, I would second the idea of going to TIS to look at service manuals. I did do a search of the threads on the Sequoia forum, and no information there.

Regards,
Steve

'08 Sienna LE FWD
'13 Tacoma PreRunner SR5 Double Cab Long Bed Texas Edition 4x2
#9 Old 09-16-2013, 08:05 PM
New TN User

Thanks. Your comment on your previous post,"... wonder if it is the same mechanism as on the Sequoia" gave me an idea. I went home and checked the latch on my 1999 Sienna and saw how easy that latch was to open. So with more confidence I went and attacked the problem on my Sequoia. Step one is to remove all the plastic paneling on the inside. Step 2 is to undo the bolts on the outside holding the latch in place. It's actually a latch assembly that includes the power lock solenoid. Step 3 is to disconnect the connectors from the solenoid. That takes some patience and some nerve to do without removing the window assembly. I intend to attach a video where I kind of talk about this after I get the assembly out. Next step is to buy a new one and replace it. One should keep in mind this is a flawed design were somehow water leaks down into the assembly area and corrodes the solenoid and the latch. My recommendation is to make sure the window is FULLY closed when expecting rain. I say that because I noticed that the window does not seal shut until I hold the key into the locked position for an extra brief moment.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Last edited by GreenSpider; 09-16-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Sienna Forum > 2nd Generation (2004-2010)