09 Sienna LE engine check,vsc,trac off ON - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2004-2010) Discussion area for the second generation Toyota Sienna.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-26-2012, 10:17 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
09 Sienna LE engine check,vsc,trac off ON

I just bought a 2009 Toyota Sienna LE at 23K mileage. The VSC and TRAC Off lights came one, along with check engine. I took it to Autozone, they scanned it for me and got the following code read: P0015. I drove back home and it went away for the next start. But after a week, it came back.
Any thoughts on what this is? Is this a costly fix? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-26-2012, 11:45 AM
Official TN Member

A camshaft position sensor code can come up as a result of a problem with the variable valve timing (VVTi) system. There are at least two different TSB on this from Toyota. I'll try to get these uploaded with links later today for you to look at.

Edit:
Just got a chance to read one of the TSB's. P0015 is Exhaust camshaft sensor Bank 1 (against the firewall - back of the engine). Now covered for 60 months or 60k miles.

Just curious - do you hear any unusual ticking along with this issue? Some valve timing issues are also known to have a characteristic noise whether you get a code or not.

Last edited by Fibber2; 09-26-2012 at 01:14 PM. Reason: updated info
#3 Old 09-26-2012, 12:38 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibber2 View Post
A camshaft position sensor code can come up as a result of a problem with the variable valve timing (VVTi) system. There are at least two different TSB on this from Toyota. I'll try to get these uploaded with links later today for you to look at.
#4 Old 09-26-2012, 02:14 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:

Edit:
Just got a chance to read one of the TSB's. P0015 is Exhaust camshaft sensor Bank 1 (against the firewall - back of the engine). Now covered for 60 months or 60k miles.

Just curious - do you hear any unusual ticking along with this issue? Some valve timing issues are also known to have a characteristic noise whether you get a code or not.
#5 Old 09-26-2012, 02:19 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
No, I don't hear any unusual ticking. "Now covered for 60 months or 60k miles", do you mean this is covered by Toyota? Please let me know if any information that helps me to fix this issue. Thank you so much for your quick response.
#6 Old 09-26-2012, 07:59 PM
Official TN Member

VVTi #1 VVTi #2

What Toyota is really saying on the coverage is that this repair will be made under the 5 yr / 60k mile Powertrain Warranty. They aren't really giving you anything that you weren't already entitle to.
#7 Old 09-27-2012, 08:50 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
VVTi #1 VVTi #2

What Toyota is really saying on the coverage is that this repair will be made under the 5 yr / 60k mile Powertrain Warranty. They aren't really giving you anything that you weren't already entitle to.
#8 Old 09-27-2012, 08:51 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Do you think that I need to change the Exhaust camshaft sensor in Bank 1? If I do, do you have any suggestion to get the part online or do I have to get it from Toyota dealer?

Thanks for the posts, appreciate it very much.

Last edited by sarkermk; 09-27-2012 at 10:01 AM.
#9 Old 09-27-2012, 03:46 PM
Official TN Member

The full repair is covered by Toyota up to 5 yrs / 60k miles! Just tell them the code and maybe bring in these sheets to reinforce that you know what's up and that you expect them to fix it.
#10 Old 10-01-2012, 09:30 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I planned to take the van to the dealer but found out that the VSC and Check Engine signs were gone. I still took it to them and told them about it but they initially told me that this fix is not under the coverage because it past the 3 years period. I took and showed the TSB as you suggested, they said they will fix it when the lights come on next time. Thank you very much for your help and I will post again when I get it fixed.
#11 Old 10-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Official TN Member

I hate when they play these games. Yes, if certain errors do not continue to happen, the system will extinguish the dashboard light. However, under most cases, the data is still held in the engine control module for quite some time thereafter. They should have been able to read this out and verify that a P0015 error did occur. Given that this is a well known issue, it should have simply been addressed.

At least you are now armed with the data, so you know how to proceed. You are welcome, and good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Sienna Forum > 2nd Generation (2004-2010)