2nd windshield crack in 4 months on 2011 Toyota Sienna! - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Sienna Forum > 3rd Generation (2011+)

3rd Generation (2011+) Discussion area for the third generation Toyota Sienna.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2011, 08:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
2011 Sienna LE Owner

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View a26801t's Photo Gallery
2nd windshield crack in 4 months on 2011 Toyota Sienna!

We bought it in August '10 and the very top of the windshield cracked in October '10. Where it cracked was a very odd location because it seemed as though a rock would have had to be pretty small and coming in really fast to have cracked the windshield the way it did. We thought it was just a "normal thing to happen", which is what they always seem to say when you go to a Toyota dealership about a windshield crack.

However, after getting it fixed, using another original 2011 Sienna windshield directly from Toyota (not after market), it cracked again yesterday, but this time on the lower part of the windshield, but it in a similar location. This time I saw it very early on and there doesn't seem to be a noticeable impact from a rock or anything. Of course, when we took it to Toyota, they said "things happen, and looks like you will need to replace it"...again?! Not so fast Toyota. I called the company they used to install our first windshield and they had a lot better customer service than Toyota and just came to our house to look at the windshield. The owner said there doesn't seem to be a significant of enough impact at all to have caused the issue and is going to go back to Toyota himself to figure out why they "brushed us off".

I gave the windshield company a print out from www.siennachat.com highlighting other 2011 Sienna owners having very similar issues across the country. He said the Tech Tip listed on this site is consistent with the lower part of the windshield area where our issue (and many other people...) seem to be having. It also looks like this issue is under investigation by Toyota. Wonder why the news hasn't been made aware of this just yet...hmmm?!?!

You can view more about this issue at
http://siennachat.com/forum/index.php?topic=3811.0
a26801t is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Need For Speed

Gameroom cash: $1340150
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View arabianobsession's Photo Gallery
^I've found that the Toyota windshields aren't the greatest. I've had my Camry since last August and have already replaced the windshield, but I replaced it with an aftermarket one. No issues. Another Camry owner who I work with replaced his windshield at 8,000 miles with another Toyota windshield and it cracked again recently, there are 11,000 miles on his car. A 3rd Camry owner has a 2010 that has had its windshield replaced 3 times now!!!!

I know we don't have Siennas, but we're having the same problems too.
arabianobsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View Sflimited's Photo Gallery
2011 Toyota sienna windshield crack

I have a 2011 Toyota sienna limited with 15000 miles , I too have a crack on the lower part of te right windshield with no signs of impact.

Is there any update about warranty covering this ?

Should i replace it with an after market glass ?
Sflimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View jm98's Photo Gallery
I had to replace on my old MPV cost around $300 and was under deductible so I paid out of my pocket.

I think Toyota windshield should be around $400.

I will take my Sienna to Safelite as I had good experience with them before unless dealer beats the price.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

View bwpstl's Photo Gallery
Interesting....

I recently bought a '14 XLE and did not notice until I got home that the windshield was cracked in the "dark" shaded area at the bottom on the drivers side. Immediately took it back to the dealership and Toyota agreed to replace it since there were no rock marks causing the crack.

I will keep this thread in mind if I "develop" another crack that's not caused by a rock.
bwpstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

View Sflimited's Photo Gallery
An update or my windshield , I took it to a Toyota dealership in San Francisco on Geary and 4th ave. I had two techs check it out they told me they couldn't find a point of impact. I felt worry free now They told me to bring it back when the gm came so that she could ok it. I brought it back a couple weeks later and another tech came out to check it with her and he used a pen and was tracing the crack. He said he found 3 points of impact. They pulled out a loop and showed me the impact. I'm not sure if it's possible that the point of impact was made by the tech's pen . Especially after I had 2 techs check before and there was no point of impact this tech came out of nowhere and then disappeared , like a ninja btw. The service gm offered to pay for half the windshield and I cover the install which came out to 700. I thanked her for the offer. I shopped around and decided to bring it to a glass repair shop.

Very important !!! My advice is to do 2 steps, the loop test first then the pen test . Make sure that the tech doesn't press down too hard on the glass as i saw the ninja tech do with his pen. Maybe use the loop with the tech first so no further damage from a pen and a heavy hand.

Also showing the tech tip to the service advisor wasnt much help as they said windshields can crack when the temperature changes.

Well nothing money can't fix sigh . I was really happy with Toyota but disappointed with this occurrence .
Sflimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Sienna Forum > 3rd Generation (2011+)