Toyota Nation Forum banner

2010 Camry LE Transmission Issues

69K views 112 replies 48 participants last post by  Vangm25 
#1 ·
Hey all of you 2010 Camry owners...I just got a 2010 LE auto transmission with the new 6-speed transmission about 2 weeks ago. I am not liking the shifting nature of this tranny around town...constantly hunts and downshifts when you are slowing down...very unruly. I have been back to the dealer and they say that is the nature of the new transmissions...they downshift to "help you slow down" and one guy admitted that many have complained about the shifting nature of the Camry's but they say its not a faulty transmission.

Is anyone else having issues with the automatic transmission on the 2010? Other than that, I love this car...I got it loaded with leather, sunroof, upgraded stereo, alloy wheels, metallic gray color so it really looks sharp...lots of compliments on its looks...great ride and handling too but hate the tranny!! I solve the tranny hunting problem by using the shiftronic feature thats new on the 2010's but I dont want to have to do that around town all the time!!

#2 · (Edited)
It's a 6 speed and it uses them all, up and down................

#4 ·
I finally called toyota and they are contacting my dealer to arrange a test drive of another 2010 model to see if that is normal for this transmission....maybe this fuel cut off is a new thing...if so, its very irritating to drive around town...wish they'd reprogram it to shift more smoothly around town...thats what people buy a Camry for is SMOOTHNESS!! We'll see what happens...

#101 · (Edited)
I found this link that explains this "fuel cut-off" feature...sounds exactly like what my car is doing..

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/4539643.html
:headbang: What does this really mean? Nothing but a bunch of words that don't really tell me anything.
"
Abstract

A fuel cut-off control can prolong a period of time in which the [COLOR=#f26522 !important][COLOR=#f26522 !important]engine[/COLOR][/COLOR] speed is maintained at a range suitable for performing fuel cut-off and shorten a period of time in which the engine speed is in a fuel recovery range to minimize fuel consumption during engine deceleration. In a fuel cut-off control system in a fuel injection internal combustion engine with an automatic transmission, the fuel cut-off control system is responsive to a brake switch signal and an engine speed signal having a value above a fuel recovery threshold to decrease the value of a fuel cut-off threshold to again perform the fuel cut-off even in the normal fuel recovery range. Down shifting of a [COLOR=#f26522 !important][COLOR=#f26522 !important]transmission[/COLOR][/COLOR] gear is performed to increase engine speed to a level beyond the fuel cut-off threshold to prolong the fuel cut-off period. "

#6 ·
For me this is an interesting thread. Have an '06 V-6 model. Toyota introduced the DBW(drive by wire) concept in '06. A TSB was developed to deal with the erratic shifting. Had that done & few monthst later its back.

Have learned to live with it, but as soon as I've gotten my $$ out of this car, it's back to Honda for me.

Thanks for posting this. 4 years later and Toyota still hasn't got their act together.

#7 ·
Hi Rick, I'm over from the Corolla section of these forums but that sounds similar to my car although mine has a 5 speed with the 2.4L XRS. It was very noticeable when the car was new but its over a year old now and several thousand KM's on it and its much smoother now. If you find some of the other cars doing the same thing then its probably normal and if its like mine...then it will smooth out nicely over use and time. Different cars mind you...but I doubt its that different.

#8 ·
Very normal as far as I know (the 6 speeds haven't changed right?)

If you coast from like 50 to 15-20 without braking, the car with downshift once or twice and you'll feel it a bit.

If you don't want it to that, drive in "S" mode and limit the gearing.

#10 ·
Very normal as far as I know (the 6 speeds haven't changed right?)

If you coast from like 50 to 15-20 without braking, the car with downshift once or twice and you'll feel it a bit.

If you don't want it to that, drive in "S" mode and limit the gearing.
Duh....this is the first year for the I4 6 speed.

#11 ·
V6? That should be the Aisin U-660E transmission?

The U-660E seems to have problems from the beginning. Toyota might have fixed the gear skipping problem, but this one seems to be the only LePellitier design that can't shift smoothly. Maybe they didn't pay Mr. LePellitier enough? :lol:

#13 ·
the tranny is shaky but the car is designed to learn how you drive. once it does then it adjusts to your prefrences. ie if u get a few k miles on your car then the tranny will get smoother. atleast this is what a very good technician at toyota told me. this learning curve though brings some bad shifting for a while. i know hes pretty correct bc my dads 09 and my 09 drive different. mine the throttle response is smooth and instant. the tranny on my dads car is silky smooth but response is a bit slower and more agressive once you get it going.

#15 ·
your slowing down, its not like its engine braking hard, its just going into the appropriate gear incase you need to speed up. Like in town, its going to downshift so if a truck behind you cant stop in time, you can just punch the gas and take off.
Or would you rather be doing like 20mph in 6th gear and then seeing a truck behind you? punching the gas, then wasting 1-2 valuable seconds while it hunts for the right gear?

#16 ·
The Aisin U-660E is a low volume production transmission. So maybe Toyota didn't put as much resource in improving it as they did the U-251 in last generation of 4-cyls? Some U-series, like the U241, had mechanical design defect, like the fluid drain/refill circuit in the valve body needing to counter centrifugal force or something like that. That's really too bad.

#17 ·
Yes I agree that its good to have the gear ready if you need it but I have been driving auto transmission cars for years and they all seem to have been able to coast or brake quietly to a stop and then instantly respond if I floored it and needed power...don't recall any other car that had such noticeable downshifts....but like the post above, mine is smoothing out a lot now that I have driven it a while...but it still is not smooth in around town driving....it doesnt seem to be able to figure which gear is best and its not consistent...sometimes it coasts or brakes to a stop without noticing it...other times it has a noticeable shift that is a bit erratic....I just thought Toyota would want a very smooth shifiting tranny on this new 2010 but maybe they are cutting corners like everyone else and not spending on additional engineering. I sometimes think I should have gone with the Accord that I test drove but when I read the owner reviews on those, almost all complain of hard seats and uncomfortable ride....which I can attest to in my test drive of the Accord! So if Toyota and Honda are slipping on building world class cars, where do we turn??? I havnet read all that great reviews of the Fusion or Malibu either!

#18 ·
I do have to say, I took my new 2010 LE on a road trip this last week for the first time and it performed flawlessly on the open highway...this car is definitely happier cruising on the highway than tooling around town...it handles very well and has an excellently quiet, stable ride on the hwy...good mpg too! The new upgraded stereo with the bluetooth and satellite radio is also very pleasant to listen too...

#21 ·
I do have to say, I took my new 2010 LE on a road trip this last week for the first time and it performed flawlessly on the open highway...this car is definitely happier cruising on the highway than tooling around town...it handles very well and has an excellently quiet, stable ride on the hwy...good mpg too! The new upgraded stereo with the bluetooth and satellite radio is also very pleasant to listen too...
Tell me about the satellite radio antenna if you don't mind. My 07 Camry had the antenna installed on the inside of the windshield right behind the rear view mirror and I didn't think it worked very well or looked good. Can you post pics too? Thanks.

#20 ·
I am not liking the shifting nature of this tranny around town...constantly hunts and downshifts when you are slowing down...very unruly. !
I know exactly what you mean. I don't have a 2010, I have a 2006...bought it used. After I bought the car, I noticed that it would downshift heavily when I slowed the car down and it would kind of "jump" (not violently, but it was slightly noticeable). I was worried and took it to a Toyota dealer and they said it was nothing to worry about, that is just how their transmissions are made. It took some time to get used to, but now I barely notice it.

Also, you have a brand new car, you have a warranty and coverage...when I bought my car, I almost shit my pants when I noticed the transmission issues.

#22 ·
If you still have any powertrain warranty left might want to check if programming TSBs were applied. These don't fix hardware problems, but are just software patches trying to make the transmission shift smoother.

I have a 2006...bought it used. After I bought the car, I noticed that it would downshift heavily when I slowed the car down and it would kind of "jump" (not violently, but it was slightly noticeable).

#23 ·
I just bought the car and its a brand new 2010 so I have 60,000 miles yet of powertrain warranty but its so new I have no information on any TSBs on this model...I doubt they'll do anything for a while or at all unless they get a lot of complaints...I called the Toyota hotline...they opened a ticket on it and said they'd notify my dealer and they'd contact me within 3 business days. They suggested I drive another 2010 to see if it does the same thing...I have yet to hear from my dealer...not pleased with Lakeland Toyota at all so far...

I thought the tranny was smoothing out but all of the sudden, today the harsh, erratic shifing in stop and go driving is back...very annoying today for some reason...its not consistent at all...

#26 ·
Hey all of you 2010 Camry owners...I just got a 2010 LE auto transmission with the new 6-speed transmission about 2 weeks ago. I am not liking the shifting nature of this tranny around town...constantly hunts and downshifts when you are slowing down...very unruly. I have been back to the dealer and they say that is the nature of the new transmissions...they downshift to "help you slow down" and one guy admitted that many have complained about the shifting nature of the Camry's but they say its not a faulty transmission.

Is anyone else having issues with the automatic transmission on the 2010? Other than that, I love this car...I got it loaded with leather, sunroof, upgraded stereo, alloy wheels, metallic gray color so it really looks sharp...lots of compliments on its looks...great ride and handling too but hate the tranny!! I solve the tranny hunting problem by using the shiftronic feature thats new on the 2010's but I dont want to have to do that around town all the time!!
Hey Rick I have recently raised the same concerns in the Venza Forum with the 6 speed Manumatic Transmission in my new 2009 V6 Toyota Venza. I believe its the same 6 speed Auto that's in the Camry. Annoying downshifts when slowing down as well as speeding up on local streets and the dealer says its normal?? Not so sure if that is a proper answer from the Toyota Dealer!! Did you ever get this problem resolved??

#27 ·
Hey Rick I have recently raised the same concerns in the Venza Forum with the 6 speed Manumatic Transmission in my new 2009 V6 Toyota Venza. I believe its the same 6 speed Auto that's in the Camry. Annoying downshifts when slowing down as well as speeding up on local streets and the dealer says its normal?? Not so sure if that is a proper answer from the Toyota Dealer!! Did you ever get this problem resolved??

Mine has smoothed out some but still has annoying downshifts in stop and go driving...I have had to revert to using the shiftronic mode to hold gears when cornering or when going through a lot of stop and go traffic...it still doesn't seem right but my dealer told me the same thing...its "normal" Its amazing how erratic it is....some days I drive it and it is very smooth for the most part...other times, it seems very unruly all day....doesn't seem to be a pattern to it...but it definitely downshifts almost every time I try coasting to a stop or brake to a stop....i guess that is supposed to "help" you slow down but it is very annoying...I like everything else about the car...its quiet and very smooth on the open road, great sound system, very comfortble inside, good mpg but the transmission is ruining my driving experience...I suspect I'll trade out within a year or so once I can get out of it without losing my shirt...I don't look forward to driving it which should NOT be the case with a new car...sounds like its a toyota system-wide problem if...I have had a couple of other 2010 owners report the same thing...maybe that is "normal" and how toyota made it...but they screwed up if they did because it is not pleasant to drive...<sigh>

#32 ·
Here's a novel idea for Toyota: MAKE THE TRANSMISSION RIGHT IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! Instead of going down the path of the domestics who started throwing cheapo stuff in cars and putting them out on the market and then trying to cover up the problems or put band-aids on them instead of doing it right...Toyota has the best auto engineers in the world, I am sure they can design a smooth transmission for a Camry that every other person in the country drives!!

#34 ·
I actually have no issues with the behavior of the transmission. Sure it's a bit strange, but I'm definitely used to it.

Now, as far as the way I drive in S mode and redlining in 3rd gear - I'm sure the transmission will be the FIRST thing to break in this car.

Honda sucks ass, wouldn't even consider one. I've driven just about every model they have for extended periods of time in the form of Zipcars.

Next car - get a Mercedes or a BMW.

#36 ·
right on rick

#37 ·

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.