Toyota Camry Gen 8 (2016+) - your wish list - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
7th Generation (2012-2013) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2012-2013

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-24-2011, 08:24 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
USA Toyota Camry Gen 8 (2016+) - your wish list

I know we just got the gen 7 Camry, and I already talk about gen 8, but this is what I would expect to see when I trade in my XLE Hybrid in 5 years or so. Toyota did manage to build all features and what I wanted in a car very well. But here are some nice extra features I would hope Mr Toyoda willl consider (or the USA based design and marketing teams that got more freedome to decide from Toyota Japan):

1. Forget making a V6 in next gen. Go with the Hybrid base, but allow the combined power of both gas and electric to reach the full potential of almost 300 HPs (156HP gas, 141HP electric). This will require to get a bigger battery to allow it to provide a higher voltage and higher current for the 105KW electric engine drive for 2 minutes or so use. Perhaps LiIo at 3x capacity than what you have today and double the voltage so to stay within similar current, will do it. The optimization here is not just for power but, at the same time, for gas consumption. I like this much better than the Volt way, no need 16KWH battery. 5KWH will do just fine. High power is needed temporary, for 1-2 minutes, not continiously hence this is a way better balance than the V6 variations (including turning off 3 cylinders as in the Impala). This will reduce the different number of models by eliminating the V6 one and hence reduce your cost to make such further.

2. plug in request goes without saying. As you learn from the Prius Plug In, port the technology to Camry, 5KWH will do just fine with extended efficency and an OK EV range without huge cost or volume taken by the battery (I still want the 5 seats not the 4 as with Volt). Plug in is not the main issue, but if you make it why not.

3. tires is a problem to select. The sport version of Camry Hybrid "SE" should be tuned for peformance as is now, but select better grip tires to allow 300HP acceleration. The gas consumption savings oriented model, can keep with low friction tires, though in winter and in snow, one would appreciate the better grip.

4. gas engine can be further optimized with direct fuel injection, but do not do it if this takes off the reliability. We do not want a Sonata/Kia, we want a Camry

5. Entune should allow an option to refelct applications running on the ipad/iphone and show the immage on the LCD screen in the car. Interacting with some useful statistics the car computer provides and uploading such or collecting such in a file. I am sure you have already telemetry to report various cars situation and operation that may suggest faults, through the cell phone connections so you can quickly tune your production and design for possible faults (but please ask the customers permission to allow you to access such data from their cars)

6. You may consider publishing Entune interface for independent application writers to use similar as with iPhone store. You will be supprized at the wealth of applications that can be invented.

7. Please please allow a moonroof delete in all trim levels. I have no issue with any other options, but moonroof really is not that useful for many Camry users, other than trying it few times and then leaving it closed.

8. If you really can close the gap between hybrid and non hybrid, consider offering a hybrid only model providing the relaiability of the battery is well under control, learning from the experience you had so far. If a car can last 15 years, this is way better than what GM used to design cars during the 1990s... and most people I would assume will not hold cars over 10 years (those who buy new), with average of 5 years or so. That will also raise the fuel savings and allow you to meet the average MPG goals set by the president in the USA.

9. allow the hybrid to act as a power generator to provide electricity in an emergency. We had various disasters in the USA with power out for at least 24 hours or so. I know you consider a future vision in Japan to connect a Prius to generate power for homes if needed, so I think you can design it without too much cost to do that in gen 8 hybrid. Of course, some add on will be needed outside to connect it to the home, but this will be at the option of the home owner so you just provides the connection for it and the added cost should someone want to have it can be within the rapid recharge and power distribution station in the garage to connect to the house power. Just this feature alone will be a very nice welcome for the USA use. Where can yuo get a 100K or even 50K generator as reliable as a Camry... when needed (which wont be all the time but if needed will be priceless to run the sump pump, and other essentials and save a home).

Other than this, please keep building good reliable affordable cars for all of us and thank you for gen 7 - well done!

Thank you,

CamryHybrid2011

Last edited by CamryHybrid2011; 10-24-2011 at 09:19 PM. Reason: update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-24-2011, 10:05 PM
Need For Speed

Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
It is waaaaaay to early to think of 2016 and beyond. By then our idea of a new car may be much different than it is now, especially with tightening fuel economy requirements.

6 speed manual 2011 Camry SE
1995 Mustang-1994 Mustang GT
1985 AMC Eagle
#3 Old 10-24-2011, 10:11 PM
Beer & steak slave

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
It is waaaaaay to early to think of 2016 and beyond. By then our idea of a new car may be much different than it is now, especially with tightening fuel economy requirements.
+100.

gen 8 camry SE might take off vertically and have a hybrid battery good for 100 years and as small as modern AAA battery.

2012 MGM LE
#4 Old 10-24-2011, 10:14 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Not too ealry at all, what do you think Toyota's engineers are doing now? Going on vacation for 4 years? They are working on the next gen, and its the best time seeing gen 7 to express wishes for what you want to see next. Some from Toyota may actually read this forum you know... So just say what you think you want to see? Oh yes, I know... a 400 HP V8 Camry, 8 speed manual trans, and no goodies... so it costs around $20K, right? :-)

I don't see how our idea of a new car can change that radically in 4 years from now... no I do not mean SciFi... that is another thread not this

Last edited by CamryHybrid2011; 10-24-2011 at 10:15 PM.
#5 Old 10-24-2011, 10:20 PM
Need For Speed

Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Toyota does scope this forum for ideas but they're more worried about small things such as how cupholders are designed and how many power points you get rather than the big stuff. New engines will debut in mid Gen 7 , not new for Gen 8, and all the big stuff will appear in the far future, not a matter of a few years.

What I want won't happen, so there's no point. I want some real driving dynamics and killer sporty looks....but this is Toyota here!

6 speed manual 2011 Camry SE
1995 Mustang-1994 Mustang GT
1985 AMC Eagle
#6 Old 10-25-2011, 12:26 AM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
New engine not new for Gen 8 but already in mid gen 7 is great for me if I am to trade in for gen 8... well now you have my wish list here.. Toyota did very well to get a gen 7 car that satifisfied my expectations fully (including I was able to get XLE without moonroof.. yay...!)

I told you that for the 728HP you can get yourself that mod kit on your old Camry... that will do quite nicely.. but not many want the 728HP Camry indeed... Toyota tries to get cars build for the majority of buyers, not the fringe few. Not sure how many will want to drive manual with a Camry.. so they removed that option in gen 7, not sure how many will still want V6 in next years... so that option maybe eliminated too (replaced by tubro? don't think so... so better by my combined full power gas/electric... :-), and so on.

Cup holders and 12V aux ports have been optimized.. interior has been redesigned... so for those looking to get a Kia style Camry.. forget it.. not going to happen... I don't want a Kia I think its ugly and strange for me to be seen in one :-) quiet power, efficency and reliability is good to have. Getting the 300HP combined is not because some people want such power... but it can be achieved with the same goal of plug in and longer EV range if you get a bigger battery. How many cells and current and voltage can be optimized, incl. LiIo if needed extended plug range is required by buyers but also this will be good to drive the 105KW for 1-2 minutes.. why not? The current combined 200HP also do not last for a long time, its more like peak power for 30-60 seconds or so. Enough to get 7.2sec (or better with better tires) already on the 0-60 and make fun of both Sonata Hybrid and the TDI... (look at the 0-100 and the amazing number the TCH gets...) - that is performance and optimization at once.

Last edited by CamryHybrid2011; 10-25-2011 at 12:31 AM.
#7 Old 10-25-2011, 12:42 AM
Official TN Member

drop the v6, just hybrid and I4+turbo for SE.

2012 Camry Hybrid XLE Cosmic Gray/Ivory
2011 Sienna XLE Super White
89 Supra Turbo HID Conversion
89 Supra Turbo LED Conversion
89 Supra Turbo CarPC
2004 Matrix XR CarPC A moron in a Civic Hit n Run. Total loss.
#8 Old 10-25-2011, 06:24 PM
TMS Prius Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryHybrid2011 View Post
New engine not new for Gen 8 but already in mid gen 7 is great for me if I am to trade in for gen 8... well now you have my wish list here.. Toyota did very well to get a gen 7 car that satifisfied my expectations fully (including I was able to get XLE without moonroof.. yay...!)

I told you that for the 728HP you can get yourself that mod kit on your old Camry... that will do quite nicely.. but not many want the 728HP Camry indeed... Toyota tries to get cars build for the majority of buyers, not the fringe few. Not sure how many will want to drive manual with a Camry.. so they removed that option in gen 7, not sure how many will still want V6 in next years... so that option maybe eliminated too (replaced by tubro? don't think so... so better by my combined full power gas/electric... :-), and so on.

Cup holders and 12V aux ports have been optimized.. interior has been redesigned... so for those looking to get a Kia style Camry.. forget it.. not going to happen... I don't want a Kia I think its ugly and strange for me to be seen in one :-) quiet power, efficency and reliability is good to have. Getting the 300HP combined is not because some people want such power... but it can be achieved with the same goal of plug in and longer EV range if you get a bigger battery. How many cells and current and voltage can be optimized, incl. LiIo if needed extended plug range is required by buyers but also this will be good to drive the 105KW for 1-2 minutes.. why not? The current combined 200HP also do not last for a long time, its more like peak power for 30-60 seconds or so. Enough to get 7.2sec (or better with better tires) already on the 0-60 and make fun of both Sonata Hybrid and the TDI... (look at the 0-100 and the amazing number the TCH gets...) - that is performance and optimization at once.
If you really wanted two, swap out the atkinson cycle 2AR and put in a regular Otto cycle 2AR.

2010 Prius Technology Package (Cdn)
OEM Cargo Mat, OEM All-Weather Mat, LED ext/int lights, 5000K HID, OEM Fogs, Euro Mudguards
#9 Old 11-24-2011, 01:10 PM
New TN User

all wheel drive anyone?
#10 Old 11-24-2011, 01:16 PM
TN の がしょう

Garage
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
^ Toyota JDM Camrys had that option since the Gen 5.5. Then they stopped offering it with the Gen 6 and onward. The Gen 5.5 was the last camry to have awd as an option. Of course, they never gave us that option in the US or any other markets.

2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 R-Spec 6-spd
2000 Celica GT ZZT230
#11 Old 11-25-2011, 03:27 AM
CRESSIDA!!!

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpeed View Post
^ Toyota JDM Camrys had that option since the Gen 5.5. Then they stopped offering it with the Gen 6 and onward. The Gen 5.5 was the last camry to have awd as an option. Of course, they never gave us that option in the US or any other markets.
You forget about the Gen 2 Camry All-Trac.

1991 Toyota Camry 24,000 mi
1994 Toyota Pickup 77,000 mi
1998 Toyota Avalon 150,000 mi
2005 Chevrolet Silverado 57,000 mi
2006 BMW 330i Sedan 123,000 mi
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid 95,000 mi
#12 Old 11-25-2011, 09:44 AM
Camry Freak

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I'd really like to see a return of a wagon model. With a growing family, I really want a vehicle with more space, but I really hate SUVs and don't want a minivan. I know that Toyota has the Venza, but the styling really limits cargo room and its fuel economy is a major downside compared to a Camry. Hell, the Rav 4 offers more cargo room.

Right now, the only brands that offer true wagons are Subaru and premium brands that are out of reach for most buyers. I think as gas prices continue to climb, offering a true wagon alternative to SUVs is a good idea. It's true that there are many "crossovers" that are "wagonish", but they suffer the same problems that the Venza does. They offer less cargo space and their fuel economy sucks.

Right now my wife and I are seriously looking at an Outback, even though we would much rather stay within the Toyota family.
#13 Old 11-25-2011, 10:52 AM
New TN User

Bolder looks.

The idea that Camry drivers demand that ho-hum "conservative" styling is pure mythology. The fact WAS...historically their competition hasn't been too much better in the aesthetics department, at least not enough for most shoppers to allow emotion rather than reason dictate their purchase decisions. And with Toyota's ironclad never-leave-you-stranded reputation firmly ingrained in our collective, consumer consciousness, the choice was clear- dependability over marginally better sheet metal. But what happens when the back of the pack decides it's time for a paradigm shift? Record sales for Hyundai/Kia. That's what. Let there be no doubt, the Koreans have changed the game.

Even worse, for generation after generation Toyota intentionally dumbed down the styling cues on their lowly Camry in order to compel those who would and could upmarket into the company's more profit-centric Lexus line. That's right, folks, this Camry never had to be the quintessential bland sedan, butt of jokes, automotive whipping boy, it's become, but...Toyota insisted. And just so they could squeeze a few more bucks out of especially discerning shoppers. Of course, that was in a time when mid-size shoppers high on tastes and low on budget had nowhere else to turn. Now they do, you see, and hence why Toyo's been feverishly scrambling to reinvent itself with their "boldest Camry ever" in order to gain back that deservedly lost market share. Not too bold though, wouldn't want to cannibalize the 6 year old IS and the oh-so-sexy ES, you know.

But seriously, Toyota, wake up, build it, but with forward-looking and dare I say...daring style, and they will come.
#14 Old 11-25-2011, 11:12 AM
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER

So... let's get this straight.

Everybody wants Toyota to duplicate the 2012 M5 for 13,000 bucks.

Got it.

#15 Old 11-25-2011, 11:30 AM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
So... let's get this straight.

Everybody wants Toyota to duplicate the 2012 M5 for 13,000 bucks.

Got it.
Who's "everybody"? I see nothing in this thread remotely resembling your misguided sentiment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 7th Generation (2012-2013)