Toyota Nation Forum banner

Entune - what is it, is it worth it, what do you want see it evolves to?

20K views 52 replies 10 participants last post by  MBRGuru 
#1 · (Edited)
I could not find a global Entune thread.. too bad as its not only specific to the 2012 Camry (maybe my friend arabianobsession can help here...? :), so here it goes..

At first, I thought the basic Entune addition over the XLE Hybrid display audio, is not worth it. At $1050 MSRP cost, having Ford's Sync at much cheaper, I thought its way inflated. But then went to look deeper (and I still do not have all the details, this is not just a voice command interface or such like with Ford's it is much more).

1) you get basic navigation (OK, I heard not fancy looking as with the HDD Premium Navigation) or perhaps compared with a GPS stand alone cheap device, relatively to the car included Entune, but you get something
2) you get HD Radio - that wont be subscription based. It allows you to listen to digital music (AM/FM like) and radio broadcasts at much better quality (like Digital TV vs. analog TV).
3) you get (subscription based) traffic and other news - I think this will be what you get for 3 years then need to renew - different than the XM Radio initial trial which is for 3 months - Can someone verify?
4) you get an expandable platform that can add applications and updates latter on (any details on the OS and such?)
5) you pay for a cell data plan or you need to have an unlimited one (such as I have.. :)

It has a lot of growth potential, not as with Ford's Sync. It has flexibility and ability to do some very useful types of applications. For example, Toyota could get real time information from the car's computers on various systems and error codes, such can be datamined for important insights to adjust their manufaturing or to find faults in some components that need fixing, at a much faster pace than normal dealer repairs data! Applications types and number can grow more latter (we shall see... ), and allow various things.. cars communicating with other such cars, toll pricing based on traffic and so on. Initial applications are not to be seen as fixed and never growing. I am sure there will be more in the future. So I am quite excited to experiment with this technology. Ford has recently decided to collaborate with Toyota on some infomatics standard maybe they will create something to at least have a common information exchange for certain applications and for apps developers.

The sound and speakers: not the JBL, just the base 6 speakers, but I think they should be fine. I could not get the JBL as such an option kicks in the need for the moonroof package (which I hate) nor could I get the premium HDD based navigation. But the HDD Nav is an old technology, even though it looks nice. It has a mechnical disk, source of possible faults latter on, and a mechanical complex door that moves the display to reveal the CD slot. Base Entune should be more reliable mechnically - all solid state.

But.. I do expect problems with some of the features, such as voice recognition etc. same as with initial Ford Sync problems. So take it into consideration, but for now I think the $1050 cost for all the other features included with Entune may worth it at even more than getting the $2600 HDD Nav/Entune option.

Comments, more info, subscription price after 3 years, etc is most appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
There will be more apps on Entune as time goes by, you should see a Version 2 release in the spring and the update is free through the dealership.

This is NOT the same update as the Nav system, which still has a cost associated with it.

#4 · (Edited)
Hi arabianobsession.. indeed so, the nav part included in the $1050 option package is basic but it may require paying a fee to update. Not sure about this. Google as well as Bing offer navigation service for GPS smartphones, including relevant places of interest, which all are up to date. So I am not sure if such cannot work through the Bing connection they have there..... or it has to use 100% a built in preloaded navigation. The preloaded navigation is good for cases where you do not have cell phone service, so not to be stuck in the middle of the USA without nav. But of course the Bing nav based is very up to date (there are demos of such on the net).

Update for applications etc can also be done via the air (cell phone) or you can download and have a memory key connected to the system for such.... that is my understanding, in addition of getting such at the dealer. So not always needs the dealer (maybe only for the nav built in update)?

And I ask you.. how can this be a boring car to drive (Toyta did well to have this with Camry.. to appeal to more gadges/younger/goodies looking customers). Of course in addition to the usual Hybrid game of getting max MPGs...

#5 ·
You cannot update the Nav through your phone or Bing or anything...you need to go to the dealership just like the days of Nav before Entune. The Entune is updated for free.

The excitement in driving a car isn't always about technology, thus, the death of the manual transmission and a simple bare bones car. Too many people these days are too distracted to drive because their cars are a giant mobile computer to play with. For me, a car is fun to drive if it has excellent driving dynamics, a tight suspension that can corner nicely, and has good power for its weight.

I personally could care less about Nav, Entune, or any other fancy display screen. I'm part of a dying breed in that respect, especially given my age (22). I feel techonology and electronics have a time and a place, but not in the car. The risk is too great when you're traveling at a rate of 50+ mph in a 3500 lb. hunk of metal. Not worth it, IMO. The safest car is the one with the driver who is aware of their surroundings.

#6 · (Edited)
I don't worry to upgrade the nav at all... I probably will trade in the car before I need to have enough changes to upgrade the nav (which probably will cost more than buying a new good GPS device... with unlimited life maps and traffic upgrades).

As for fun driving a car, yes I undestand you have a different fun than I... and its very fine indeed. Camry is not for the purist sport naked type of cars I think.... it will attract more those like me ... how many more vs. losing those like you.. time and sales will tell...

However, as for safety, do not understimate nor object to technology... it actually can help you.. more than you or other average driver can do so on your own in some cases....

#7 ·
You're twisting what I say. Safety is important, but technology that is there to distract the driver is not.

Back to topic, Entune is free for 3 years, so as long as you only keep the car that long, then it won't affect you.

#8 ·
Oh sorry I did not mean to twist what you say, I did not undertand it actually. I fully agree of course that all this distruction is not safe during driving... indeed something to worry about!

What exactly is the cost after 3 years for the subscription and what it exactly provides? The traffic update (i.e. XM data plan)? Or what? I may keep it 5 years or so or about one year after the gen 8 Camry comes out before I trade in this one (one year after gen 8 is out, is to be safe for early issues.. this car I take as is since no choice I cannot wait another year to buy a car...).

#9 ·
I don't know if Toyota has released pricing yet, and it covers the Entune services. XM services are provided through XM, that is a separate service and charge. Pandora and iHeart Radio are free still after 3 years. HD radio is also always free.

#10 · (Edited)
So what exactly is the "Entune services" if all the other things you mention are free or come from XM... ? The voice recognition requires to pay Toyota? I don't think so.. then...?

Toyota already sells 2012 Camry with Entune.. strange they do not tell the price to renew after 3 years for buyers now... create a suprize for them latter? That's not fair...

So what exactly this subscription is for also not clear....

#11 ·
The subscription is for Entune minus iHeart Radio and Pandora. So that leaves Movietickets.com, Opentable.com, and Bing, plus whatever else they come out with. (I might have iHeart Radio and Bing switched, I can't recall offhand). After 3 years they charge to use it.

XM is a separate company entirely from Toyota. XM traffic and radio charge you after 3 months of a free trial, just like Safety Connect charges you after a 1 year free trial.

Voice recognition has nothing to do with it. Bluetooth and Nav are free for the life of the vehicle.

#12 ·
We really need an official pointer here. I find it strange this is for Movietickets.. that is a vendor whom wants you to buy from them and I bet paid Toyota a fee to get on their Entune!

Bing is always free...... its like Google.... they make profit from association with various business... e.g. you search for food, and first hit on the list is that Italian place thay paid Bing a fee if you click to make a reservation... so I do not think its that.

Data vs. radio are two different plans for XM, the 3 months is for the Radio programming. The Data programming (which may include traffic) maybe actually be for longer.

Google provides traffic free on smart phones, and it is also provided free as part of the HD Radio strandard broadcat locally by the radio stations supporting HD format.. so I do not think its that...

Well maybe we will know more precisely including cost soon, and someone will post here who knows for sure such info.

#14 ·
#20 ·
It's nice that Toyota release the estimate cost for Entune service subscription. No one want a surprise number after 3 years of free subscription. Without knowing the future cost of the subscription, I'm less willing to buy the system that i'm not going to use down the road due to subscription cost too much (100/month maybe?)

#22 ·
#24 ·
There is no other reference I could find to a subscription after initial 3 years other than for the XMData as I have posted the link above. If you have a pointer/web that explains what the Entune subscription is, will appreciate. If to order a table at a restaurant, or to buy a ticket, I need in addition to may Toyota a "fee" to use this service, in addition to it using my cell dataplan, this makes no sense.

So until there is better understanding of such, any spectulations are not helping but creating more confusion. Better understanding I mean a clear pointer to a Toyota web stating what this is about.

#25 ·
It's look like Toyota throw the system out for free to hook you in then charge you an arm + a leg + few fingers on the other arm later or you will have a system you paid premium $$ for it that isn't fully utilized due to cost.
At least they would stated that these are the included items in the subscription and it will cost $xx +/- xx%.

#26 ·
Look, we can't get all hyped up about it right now. First of all, it's free for 3 years. IF by then you have to pay and you think it's stupid, then DON'T PAY! It's that simple. It's like XM radio. You have a 90 day trial, and if you don't want it, then you don't get it. Let's at least wait until we know what kind of pricing we're looking at before having a fit about it.

#31 · (Edited)
It's not that SIMPLE.
If I know the subscription cost up front, my decision for the car option/package will be different.
Entune system is NOT free. You pay 1K + more for the system with entune. Yes, there are extra in that 1K price too, but those extra aren't really needed or there are much cheaper alternative IMHO.
For example, it Toyota offer 2 systems. 1 with XM and 1 without XM. Cost about $100-$150 more for the XM system. How many of you would buy the XM system with the car and knew that you will NOT subscript to XM?

Just wait and see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.