is Toyota Care Plus Extended Vehicle Maintenance Plan worth it??? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
7th Generation (2012-2013) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2012-2013

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-14-2012, 02:02 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
is Toyota Care Plus Extended Vehicle Maintenance Plan worth it???

I have been looking at the Toyota Care Plus. Extended coverage. Extended Vehicle Maintenance plans.

http://www.toyotafinancial.com/consu...lassicCoverage

They have a 5-yr 75,000 mile plan for around $980, which covers maintenance every 15k miles up to 75k maintenance and oil changes every 10k miles with synthetic.

I am wondering, how much do those periodic maintenance/tune-ups actually cost?? (15k miles, 30k miles, 45k miles, 60k miles, 75k miles)???

How much does a synthetic oil change typically run?

I am wondering if it would be much cheaper to get this plan instead of paying for the items separately. Although I am also unsure how necessary those maintenance/tune-ups really are every 15k.

I spoke to a dealer and they stated that the 75k maintenance/tune-up costs over $1k alone...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-14-2012, 05:40 PM
Official TN Member

Is this bought through the dealer or TFS? If it is bought through the dealer then I would check with Jerry at midwest toyota to see if he can sell it to you cheaper, he may not be into selling these but worth a shot. I am not sure if it is worth it or not, but when I bought my car last week I thought the dealer said it was around $50-$60. Not sure about the other stuff.

#3 Old 03-29-2012, 05:28 AM
New TN User

So what did you find? I am also looking to buy Toyota Care Plus plan but not sure if it is worth it and whats the good price to buy it for?
#4 Old 03-29-2012, 08:09 AM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali123 View Post
So what did you find? I am also looking to buy Toyota Care Plus plan but not sure if it is worth it and whats the good price to buy it for?
Well, I've heard that he plan is just under $1k for the maintenance at 15k intervals up to 75k. So you're basicalyl prepaying for work done at

I was told by one dealer that just the 75k mile maintenance is worth around $900 on its own. But when I've owned my previous Camry I never took it in for maintenance, but just did the oil change, transmission and coolant changes, and maintained the tires.

If anyone has any experience please share, I am wondering if it would be worth it or if the maintenance is trivial and unnecessary.

Thanks.

#5 Old 03-29-2012, 08:34 AM
Official TN Member

The prepaid maint is my eyes is not worth it but i've always purchased extended coverage even being in a toyota service department.

the prepaid maint covers whats in your owners manual meaning its the basic maint, filters every 30 oil change/rotation every 10k and rotations at your 5k interval. the price they gave you in for a dealer recommended service, i would like to know whats 900 dollars when the coolant and trans fluid are good for 100+k, theres no power steering to change and plugs are iridium.

my guess, alignment, rotation and balance, clean and adjust rear brakes, oil change...i would love to know what else is involved. thats me just looking for items they could be doing to add up.

2012 Chevy Cruze LT2 w/ RS package. arrives saturday 8/18/12
2012 Camry SE 2.5l - happily owned
The Following User Says Thank You to TOYOFORMAN For This Useful Post:
SIrMack (03-29-2012)
#6 Old 03-29-2012, 09:55 AM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYOFORMAN View Post
The prepaid maint is my eyes is not worth it but i've always purchased extended coverage even being in a toyota service department.

the prepaid maint covers whats in your owners manual meaning its the basic maint, filters every 30 oil change/rotation every 10k and rotations at your 5k interval. the price they gave you in for a dealer recommended service, i would like to know whats 900 dollars when the coolant and trans fluid are good for 100+k, theres no power steering to change and plugs are iridium.

my guess, alignment, rotation and balance, clean and adjust rear brakes, oil change...i would love to know what else is involved. thats me just looking for items they could be doing to add up.
Thanks for the heads up! Means a lot coming from someone in the actual department. I am guessing they were just inflating the prices to try to get me to buy the plan as it was said "the prepaid maintenance is cheaper than just the 75k maintenance alone!" But when I found a list in the manual on recommended maintenance it looked to be very minor things. Most I would do on my own. Lots of lubing x number of things, etc.

It was also told to me that if I go with Toyota that they would "keep accurate maintenance records to help the value of the car and minimize extended warranty hassle" but I got the OEM Toyota Platinum warranty and I have been told that Toyota is typically hassle-free if something breaks and it is covered. On my previous vehicle I lost all my maintenance records and they didn't even care still fixed the car without any issues when I brought it in with problems.

Thanks again!

#7 Old 03-29-2012, 10:25 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIrMack View Post
Thanks for the heads up! Means a lot coming from someone in the actual department. I am guessing they were just inflating the prices to try to get me to buy the plan as it was said "the prepaid maintenance is cheaper than just the 75k maintenance alone!" But when I found a list in the manual on recommended maintenance it looked to be very minor things. Most I would do on my own. Lots of lubing x number of things, etc.

It was also told to me that if I go with Toyota that they would "keep accurate maintenance records to help the value of the car and minimize extended warranty hassle" but I got the OEM Toyota Platinum warranty and I have been told that Toyota is typically hassle-free if something breaks and it is covered. On my previous vehicle I lost all my maintenance records and they didn't even care still fixed the car without any issues when I brought it in with problems.

Thanks again!
toyota runs a national history on every vehicle written up in service, that record shows us all the maint history of the vehicle so it does become hassle free if you do have that. without that if issues arise due to engine trouble toyota will ask for receipts. so if you do use an outside shop please keep your records because a poor maint history can void your coverage even with a vehicle under warranty. I buy my own synthetic oil and do my oil changes rarely at my job but i always save my shopping receipts and always use oem filters where they keep a record of purchase.

just something i recommend, toyota say's 30k on the filters in perfect area's...i change mine every 15k-20k. I always align my car every 20k (toe is a tire killer and tires as you know can be 1 of the most expensive maint item) and rotate and balance every 15k. I do recommend the dealer to due the service especially you have the first 5 free if your '12 was new so your good to 25k already

Your welcome, and if you need a heads up a got a question just send me a pm

2012 Chevy Cruze LT2 w/ RS package. arrives saturday 8/18/12
2012 Camry SE 2.5l - happily owned

Last edited by TOYOFORMAN; 03-29-2012 at 10:31 AM.
#8 Old 04-29-2012, 03:30 PM
Official TN Member

I just spent 30-k for a new xle and was appalled when the dealer wanted 1-k for extended warranty.
We just sold a 02 Chry. Sebring with 67-k that had a 19.95 oil change and tire rotation every 3-k and never had a problem or went back to the dealer for anything.
I thought Toyota was a higher quality auto and shouldn't need all of the extra service.
Maybe I should have stuck with Mopar.
#9 Old 04-29-2012, 05:53 PM
New TN User

Just because it's a Toyota or any other well built car doesn't guarantee you will not have any quality issues in the future. All parts have a life expectancy and some will fail before. An extended warranty can guard against that, if you feel it's worth it. Given the price of the warranty the odds are you will probably not have an issue. What those odds are for the car you have is the question, but nobody can give you the exact probability.
#10 Old 04-29-2012, 06:50 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Extended Warranty or Service Plan magnum? What about depreciation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumrtawd View Post
I just spent 30-k for a new xle and was appalled when the dealer wanted 1-k for extended warranty.
We just sold a 02 Chry. Sebring with 67-k that had a 19.95 oil change and tire rotation every 3-k and never had a problem or went back to the dealer for anything.
I thought Toyota was a higher quality auto and shouldn't need all of the extra service.
Maybe I should have stuck with Mopar.
The maintenance program is different from the extended warranty.

I'd look at depreciation ........ not the cost of oil changes ........ when figuring out the true cost of ownership. Most Chrysler cars have very low resale value compared to comparable model Toyotas. For example,
go to kbb.com and compare a comparably priced used ten year old 2002 model I4 Camry LE versus a comparable chryser sebring with 67,000 miles. Though both cars cost about the same when new, the Private Party resale values are as follows:

Camry: $9,844. Sebring: $3,463. Difference: Over $6,000

Also, statistically ...... Toyota's have far better repair records than Chryslers. Look at the visual in the April 2012 Automotive issue of Consumer Reports magazine pages 86 to 96. Self explanatory.
Then look at page 84 & 85 of that same magazine and the article entitled "7 ways to avoid a lemon" On the used cars to avoid list, the Dodge/Chrysler list is about endless ...... while the Toyota list has only three vehicles.

Now, as for maintenance, look at your Camry owners manual vs one for the Chrysler 200 [which replaced the Sebring] which I just downloaded from the Chrysler website. Most notable is that oil changes and coolant changes are half as often on a Toyota.

Your appear to drive under 10,000 miles per year. Thus:

Oil Changes:

Chrysler: Mandatory SIX MONTH month interval with engine oil meeting the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395. You don't get this oil with your standard "el cheapo" oil change.

Toyota: Mandatory ONE YEAR interval with synthetic oil. [About $60 at dealer].

Air Filter & Cabin Filter:

Toyota: 30,000 miles/30 months - whichever is first
Chrysler: 32,000 miles/ 24 months - whichever is first

Engine Coolant:

Toyota: 100,000 miles 10 years - whichever is first
Chrysler:104,000 miles 5 years - whichever is first

Spark Plugs:

Toyota: 120,000 miles 12 years - whichever is first
Chrysler: 2.4L 32,000 miles 2 years - whichever is first; 3.6L 96,000 miles 6 years whichever is first

PCV Valve:

Toyota: No scheduled maintenance
Chrysler: 96,000 miles 72 months whichever is first

Well, and then there is gasoline:

Camry beats Chrysler 200 in both I4 & V6 versions as well as Consumer Reports magazine "real world" tests.

And here is the Consumer Repots take on the Chrysler 200 from page 46 of the April 2012 Automotive Issue:

The 200 is uncompetitive amoung family sedans ..... The noisey and unrefined, the 173 HP four gets only 21mpg, same as the V6. The six speed automatic transmission doesn't shift particularly smoothly ..... YADA YADA.

I had one mopar vehicle in my life, and this just confirms my feeling that I would NEVER buy another one.

Example:

Look at page
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul3637 For This Useful Post:
magnumrtawd (04-29-2012)
#11 Old 04-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Official TN Member

I am 64 years old and have raced and owned Mopars all of my life. I have NEVER replaced a engine or transmission in any of them.
I purchased a new 71 corolla and the oil pump failed and fried the 1600 cc engine at 13000 mi.
2nd gear went out 5-k later. Oh well..
My personnel car is a 2005 magnum RT AWD which is the finest auto I have ever owned.( the camry was purchased for my wife)
I realize the bad rap Mopars have gotten over the years but, I am very happy with the ones I have owned!
The gas mileage and reliability, on the Camry was the deciding factor. Its not hard to look at either.

Consumers reports has been biased to foreign cars since day one. Thats why I canceled my 20 year subscription 5 years ago.
I realize Chrysler's don,t have the resale value of Toyota's but I only paid 15,800 for that Sebring when new. Oh, I am not a died in the wool Chrys. fan. ( As some ford and Chevy owners are) We give all brands a even shot when shopping for a new one . Doller value and fun to drive always sways us to Mopar.
I was just shocked when the dealer wanted us to cough up another 3200$ for extended warranty's on the car and tires and wheels plus the maintenance program.
Hell the Mopar salesman may be trained to try the same crap.

Oh my local shop uses semi synthetic oil and fram filters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 7th Generation (2012-2013)