2012 Camry Premium Navigation Map Update - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
7th Generation (2012-2013) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2012-2013

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-17-2012, 01:37 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
USA 2012 Camry Premium Navigation Map Update

Got my new Camry Hybrid last week. Was told I have the latest map in the system. I checked the info and found the Map is dated 06/01/2011 almost 15 months old. I emailed Toyota on 8/16/2012 and here is the answer:
"Subject
Map update

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (Tiffany Harris) 08/17/2012 07:39 AM
Dear Mr. XXXXX,

We apologize that at this time there is no ETA available yet for your navigation system type.

You may wish to check back with us or your local Toyota dealership early next year for any updates or ETAs.

Your feedback is appreciated. It is through comments such as yours that we are able to review and improve our products and services.

Tiffany Harris
Toyota Customer Experience
http://www.toyota.com/contact"

SO, my Camry Hybrid United States maps are 15 months old in my just off the production line. I am not supposed to expect a map upgrade until next year maybe. That will make my new car maps 2 years old.

I hope there is someone from Toyota that sees this as a major issue for new car buyers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-17-2012, 03:22 PM
Official TN Member

Who makes the map? some companies like IGO have maps that are dated 2011, and that IS the latest map they offer. updates are several years apart.

IF your current map is THE latest map, then you already have the latest map and there will be no "free" map when the company offers the next one.

Last edited by Michael503; 08-17-2012 at 03:24 PM.
#3 Old 08-17-2012, 04:21 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
USA

Thanks for the reply. Not sure who makes maps. I can say, I am very disappointed. There are several new road exits not shown and the mapping to my home is on what the nav says are undocumented. I took my voice activated Garmin (updates are free) back to COSTCO when I got the Camry. The Garmin is 100 times better than the Toyota Nav system. I could have bought 10 + Garmin for the price of this out dated GPS. To late now, but had I known I would have passed on the Toyota Navigation and just got the JBL radio.

The Garmin by the way updates about every 4 months and it has all of the country roads with voice guidance. It will also take me home with voice right up my country road driveway. It has the voice activated phone and more bells and whistles than Toyota.
#4 Old 08-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Official TN Member

I agree with you about the maps....that really sucks....also, the garmin does have some features that are better for nav than the hdd premium...and so does my iPad nav....but the Toyota system has some nice features too....i like how nice the voice is and the turn indicators....and the split screen is nice too, and you don't have to mount stuff....plus, the resolution is much better than the standard system. Also, I have had a garmin system with LTM for a long time and their updates aren't always so hot either....maybe in your case they are, but I've seem them go severals years without updating roads around where I drive, even with the 4 updates a year. But I keep nav on my phone too, so I dont have to depend on just one nav having up to date maps.

I wonder if jbl will be providing maps..also, in another thread just today, someone said that Toyota is charging $180 for a map update DVD. That prices sucks, though, but the update might be out there.
#5 Old 11-19-2012, 09:36 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Here is the latest from Toyota on 11/6/2012:
Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. We appreciate the opportunity to address your inquiry.

We apologize for your dissatisfaction of your Navigation system for your 2012 Camry. Your vehicle currently has the most up to date Navigation information available at this time. The audio system in your 2012 Camry, VIN: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, has the HDD audio system that is updated via air waves. We apologize, at this time there is no estimated time the navigation system upgrade will be available.

You may check back with us or your local Toyota dealership early next year for any updates. Your feedback is appreciated and it is through comments such as yours that we are able to review and improve our products and services. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us www.toyota.com/help/contactus.html.

Sincerely,

Michelle Christensen
Toyota Customer Experience
#6 Old 11-19-2012, 09:41 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Here is my latest email to Toyota:

I still am having major issues with the Toyota Navigation system. I would like for you to forward this info to management.

I tried to use the system to navigate to several county highways in Missouri. The system does not recognize any of the addresses or roads I needed to go to.

I have a cheap Navigon that is 6 years old with maps that are 3 years old. This inexpensive GPS has all of the county roads and addresses that Toyota does not have. I paid more than $2000.00 for the system and for us folks who live in the country across America it is useless.

I am going to have to buy a Garmin to navigate with. Tell your Boss that most of use folks in the rural areas are not pleased. If Toyota cannot give new Toyota owners a navigation map upgrade that takes care of the problem, I will never buy another Toyota. I have been a Toyota driver since 1999.
#7 Old 11-19-2012, 05:07 PM
Official TN Member

I was at the "Welcome New Toyota Owners" evening at the dealership where I bought my car last week and the new map is now available for ordering at the parts counter.... for $169. They give you a link from which the customer is to download the new 2012 map and a license code to enter when installing it. The customer is expected to download the new map, save it to their own USB flash drive, plug it ino their car and install it.

My 5,000 mile service is coming up this week and I plan to see about the possiblity of getting a complementary upgrade. The map in my brand new Camry is the 2010 version, which I consider much more than a "little" outdated, especially since a 2011 version was released. In my area there are tons of errors, so the outdated data is VERY noticeable.

Last edited by SeaJay; 11-19-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 7th Generation (2012-2013)