Iphone 5 with Entune - Page 5 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
7th Generation (2012-2013) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2012-2013

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#61 Old 09-19-2012, 01:30 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsmitty10 View Post
Is tethering the same as mobile hotspot? I read that verizon can't charge for that anymore. So if I am switching to Verizon, will I possibly be able to use the iPhone 5 wirelessly free?
Yeah, I think it should work, at least that's what other people have reported. I think the only downside might be that your battery takes a hit if you leave both Bluetooth (for phone and music) and mobile hot spot (for internet) turned on all the time. But honestly I don't know how much of a draw mobile hotspot is on the phone. I guess you could always plug it in to the USB to charge it....oh wait....

I would have to give up my unlimited plan through verizon to get the free mobile hotspot. Which sucks, because if I did that, I would have to pay for more data so I could use the free mobile hotspot. Either way it's going to cost me more for the iphone, but sounds like it might work for people who are new verizon customers...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 09-19-2012, 01:38 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewiscreek View Post
Yeah, I think it should work, at least that's what other people have reported. I think the only downside might be that your battery takes a hit if you leave both Bluetooth (for phone and music) and mobile hot spot (for internet) turned on all the time. But honestly I don't know how much of a draw mobile hotspot is on the phone. I guess you could always plug it in to the USB to charge it....oh wait....

I would have to give up my unlimited plan through verizon to get the free mobile hotspot. Which sucks, because if I did that, I would have to pay for more data so I could use the free mobile hotspot. Either way it's going to cost me more for the iphone, but sounds like it might work for people who are new verizon customers...

Thats good to know there is a possibility of it working..I need to wait til oct 25 to get out of my att contract but att has ZERO 4g where i live so i gotta switch to make use of the 4g capabilities of the iphone 5. i would use it wirelessly just for short trips back and forth to work..then if i need it longer i would just plug it in anyway...for battery reasons.. hopefully having BT and MH on all the time doesnt effect the battery drain too much..

2012 Camry SE V6 Loaded Barcelona Red
Morimoto 35w 5000k HIDs~18% Suntek Tint
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
07 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
#63 Old 09-19-2012, 01:49 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsmitty10 View Post
So if tethering is free on verizon(which I think I read it is due to Government mandates) I could possibly use my iphone 5 completely wireless with the Entune Display audio system?
Yes, but its also free with AT&T if you have a mobile share plan.
#64 Old 09-21-2012, 01:51 PM
New TN User

Apple release the ios 6 update on the iPhone 3gs, 4 and the 4's. This update will allow cust with the HDD AND THE DNE to use the text message and the email with the iPhone now. But with the iPhone 4 you still have to have the cable connected as of now. All you will need to do is go to your settings, click on bluetooth then click on the little blue button on the right side of the car multimedia, last turn on your show notification. After you do that make sure to turn your bluetooth off and back on a again then your text messege will no longer be greyed out.
#65 Old 09-21-2012, 02:03 PM
Official TN Member

GOT MY IPHONE5 in the mail this morning.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
#66 Old 09-21-2012, 11:28 PM
New TN User

Got my iphone5 today as well. Entune app crashes when you try to open it. Won't even make it to the main menu. I hope Toyota updates Entune soon. Hopefully in time for Monday commute because as of now my Entune app is worthless.

Last edited by umbg35; 09-21-2012 at 11:34 PM.
#67 Old 09-22-2012, 03:09 PM
CapoIndian

Seems lightning connector is causing a compatability issue with Entune. My app also keeps crashing if I use my iPhone 5; however, if I use my iPhone 4, then everything keeps working fine.

Hopefully Toyota will release a patch soon for us iPhone 5 users.
#68 Old 09-22-2012, 05:58 PM
Official TN Member

For those with app crashes - on another forum someone said removing the app, then reinstalling it fixed their issues with the app crashing. Might be worth a shot if you haven't done that yet.
#69 Old 09-24-2012, 06:21 PM
New TN User

no major problems for me.

64gb 5 AT&T.

icloud backup for contacts and stuff and just synced with itunes for all apps and music.

only minor thing is when i plug in via lightning cable sometimes it plays from iphone speakr instead of car speaker.

if i just hit bluetooth and then back to usb it corrects itself.

but my phone auto connects via bluetooth anyways.
#70 Old 09-24-2012, 07:57 PM
Official TN Member

iphone 4 & iOS6 & Text Messages

Quote:
Originally Posted by toysupport1 View Post
Apple release the ios 6 update on the iPhone 3gs, 4 and the 4's. This update will allow cust with the HDD AND THE DNE to use the text message and the email with the iPhone now. But with the iPhone 4 you still have to have the cable connected as of now. All you will need to do is go to your settings, click on bluetooth then click on the little blue button on the right side of the car multimedia, last turn on your show notification. After you do that make sure to turn your bluetooth off and back on a again then your text messege will no longer be greyed out.
I have the Entune in a HDD Nav system in my XLE TCH with my iphone 4 with iOS 6. I was able to get the text messages read by the system without a cable connection. No luck with getting a reply out yet. I do have to admit the Entune system is still pretty quirky and the Pandora connects pretty easily without the cable connection but, with the connection, it is hard to get it to play Pandora. So, I guess if I need to charge my iphone, I will use the power only connection.

#71 Old 09-24-2012, 08:23 PM
New TN User

I haven't noticed any difference in terms of how Entune behaves with the iPhone 5. Everything seems to be the same as it was with my iPhone 4S. Tethering still works for me through my Verizon Share Everything plan using a DUP/PAN connection.

Bought another Lightning to USB cable today and everything seems to work fine through that too (charging + music).

Text messages still says is not supported, same as it did with the iPhone 4S. Hopefully they fix that, but it's not a big deal for me.

Also, deleting the Entune app and reinstalling it did fix the crash-on-startup issue. Thanks for the suggestion!

2012 Toyota Camry SE i4 Magnetic Metallic Gray

Last edited by D3lta; 09-24-2012 at 08:26 PM.
#72 Old 09-24-2012, 08:36 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaHeng View Post
I was able to get the text messages read by the system without a cable connection. No luck with getting a reply out yet.
Apple doesn't support the reply function, so it won't work.

D3lta - Glad that helped. Check your notification center options for the Messages options and test those. The MAP function seems to be linked to the notifications setting.
#73 Old 09-26-2012, 06:24 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3lta View Post
I haven't noticed any difference in terms of how Entune behaves with the iPhone 5. Everything seems to be the same as it was with my iPhone 4S. Tethering still works for me through my Verizon Share Everything plan using a DUP/PAN connection.

Bought another Lightning to USB cable today and everything seems to work fine through that too (charging + music).

Text messages still says is not supported, same as it did with the iPhone 4S. Hopefully they fix that, but it's not a big deal for me.

Also, deleting the Entune app and reinstalling it did fix the crash-on-startup issue. Thanks for the suggestion!

Do you just leave the mobile hotspot turned on all the time? Does it connect automatically when you get in the car? How much does tethering affect your battery?

I currently have an unlimited plan, but if I want the phone upgrade credit, I have to switch over to the share everything plan. I'm checking this month to see if how much data I actually use. If I end up switching to the share plan I'll probably go with the Iphone 5 if the tethering works as good as everybody seems to say it does. I have an android phone now, and I love that it just connects when I get in the car, and I don't have to plug it in to use the entune apps (I listen to a lot of pandora, and actually use the weather app a lot)
#74 Old 09-26-2012, 02:36 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewiscreek View Post
Do you just leave the mobile hotspot turned on all the time? Does it connect automatically when you get in the car? How much does tethering affect your battery?

I currently have an unlimited plan, but if I want the phone upgrade credit, I have to switch over to the share everything plan. I'm checking this month to see if how much data I actually use. If I end up switching to the share plan I'll probably go with the Iphone 5 if the tethering works as good as everybody seems to say it does. I have an android phone now, and I love that it just connects when I get in the car, and I don't have to plug it in to use the entune apps (I listen to a lot of pandora, and actually use the weather app a lot)
Yeah, the mobile hotpost feature is left on. The car will automatically connect to the phone when you open one of the Entune apps in the car. I haven't had a chance to test out battery life with my iPhone 5, but my iPhone 4S held up just fine when I needed to use Entune apps.

I used this guide to get it set up: http://www.hanselman.com/blog/HOWTOF...Bluetooth.aspx

2012 Toyota Camry SE i4 Magnetic Metallic Gray
#75 Old 01-10-2013, 09:37 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tho323 View Post
Answers below assume that you do not have/get the Tethering option, on your phone's Data Plan.

BT works but has limitations. BT for audio (iPhone's "Music" app) works great wirelessly.

Not through BT/wirelessly, but you can if you connect the phone to cable to the USB port. This also applies to the "Apps" on Entune (Pandora, Bing, Traffic for Nav, IHeart Radio, etc.). ....as Geozap mentions, you CAN do this wirelessly through your iPhone, but only if you have the Tethering option on your phone's Data Plan.

Yes, wirelessly, through BT works great.
You most definitely CAN use Pandora wirelessly with an I Phone 4 and the 6.1 display audio with Entune....

Ron Topp
Doxon Toyota & Scion ( Sales)
Auburn, Wa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 7th Generation (2012-2013)