Toyota Nation Forum banner

Entune 3.2 update help/questions

28K views 40 replies 13 participants last post by  cfbauer 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello,

I'm starting a new thread because the previous thread was closed due to the update link not working anymore. Also, I have located the file and in the process of trying to update the Entune I'm getting an onscreen message that says system is in update mode. Nothing works now except for the radio.

Edit-(Link removed)

From what I know this update is only for non-jbl radios with entune and navi, which I have.

These are the instructions I have followed:

Instructions :
1) USB 4GB or larger
2) format usb, rename it to 14A
3) download iso file and text
4) copy iso file and text file on to usb
5) read TSB
5) turn vehicle on keep engine running
6) insert USB on vehicle USB port
7) wait till head unit ask you perform update
8) follow display instructions

I tried 2 USB's both of which are larger than 4gb
Downloaded the files and extracted the folders. One folder is labeled 2.1; the other is labeled 3.2
Formatted the USB to FAT32, renamed to 14A, copied the files from the 3.2 folder onto my USB
Started my car, since my radio is stuck in update mode I inserted the USB in the USB port
and NOTHING happens.

Been dealing with this for 2 days now. If I knew it would be such a disaster I would have never bothered updating this. A lot of people have been successful in updating, so I'm not sure what is going on with my radio.

When the file is first downloaded the zip folder is named documents-export-2014-10-03 and within that zip folder are 2 folders named 2.1 & 3.2

Should the zip file be copied as is in the original zip format? Should the zip file be extracted and then copied onto the USB? Or should I only put the 2 files within the 3.2 folder after it is extracted?

Any help would be appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
there should be only 2 files in your usb:

swdl.iso 309,586 KB
swdlLog.txt 6 KB

are you saying that when you start your car, your display is stuck in update mode even without the usb inserted? if so, try removing your battery for about 2 minutes. then plug it back in, insert the usb then put the car in ON. you really don't need to start the car.

i know there's another way to reset the system without removing the battery. i'm too lazy to search the forum :D

#5 ·
this is from the TSB on version 3.1.

T-SB-0163-13 Entune/Navigation Software Update Process for Display
Audio (Non-HDD Type)

YEAR(S) MODEL(S) ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
2012 – 2013 4Runner, Corolla,
RAV4, Tacoma
2013 – 2014 Avalon, Avalon HV,
Venza
2012 – 2014 Camry, Camry HV,
Prius, Prius C, Prius
PHV, Prius V
2013 Highlander, Highlander
HV
SUPERSESSION NOTICE
The information contained in this bulletin supersedes SB No. T-SB-0026-12.
• Applicability has been updated to include 2014 model year vehicles.
• The software version number, the SST part number, and the Repair Procedure have been
updated.
Service Bulletin No. T-SB-0026-12 is Obsolete and any printed versions should be discarded. Be sure to review the entire content of this bulletin before proceeding.

Reactions: ChaosShadow
#4 ·
Okay so I finally got my radio working again, but I had to install the 2.1 version.

So after failing to update my radio to 3.2, I plugged the USB into my computer and read the log file. The error I got was that the Canadian maps were not compatible with my radio.

If you want to take a shot at it, go for it.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
It worked for me on my 2013 Toyota Tacoma trd Double cab with JBL I updated from 3.1-3.2 I downloaded this link and copied ONLY the 3.2 files to my flash drive and renamed it to 14A.
I started my truck let the radio load then I inserted the flash drive into my usb it took a few seconds and then it prompted me to install from 3-1 to 3.2, there were 8 sections so it took a few minutes to update after it finished it said remove the usb to activate the software after i removed the flash drive the toyota logo appeared and it loaded perfect no issues
thank you guys for posting the updated files
I updated today on Mar 1 2015
Justin

Edit-(Link removed)

PS here is another helpful step I found to connect your iPhone without usb cable check it out!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5C50FsFMi0

#9 ·
I just tried it. I put the 2.1 software on the flash drive and plugged it into the car and got the message that 3.1 can not be downgraded to 2.1.

So the car does have 3.1. I am not aware how it got on the car. I was taking the new car into the dealer over the last 2 years and maybe they must have installed it without noting that I have the receipt they gave me for work done on the car. No problem.

So the next question. Does 3.2 do anything that might help entune work better with the Note 4.

#11 ·
Entune update failed 2012 Prius V

Hello. Downloaded update for Entune 3.1 and also 3.2 and it gets to
package 3 and hangs up. Gives error message "Unable tostart, mmc driver successfully Unplug SW Update stick to reset"
Now when I turn the car on the display says "In software update mode, Please insert valid sofware update stick. "
When I do this it repeats the first error message after it gets to package 3.
I have tried disconnecting the battery for several minutes and numerous
USB memory sticks. I formatted the sticks to fat32 and only had the two files
and the txt file in the root directory.
HELP

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
When updating it stopped at package 3 and left the error message;

"Installing unit 3 System Data mmc driver operation start Unable tostart mmc driver successfully ret_code 7
ERROR: Unable tostart mmc driver successfully"

Anyone know what this means?

Full log below

********SOFTWARE UPDATE LOG********
Starting Update
Total units to update: 8
Installing unit 1 System Check
Power sense circuit Ok
dev-ipc operation start
Requesting swdlToyotaManager for IOC Version
IOC version received
ioc application version 1.6.18
ioc bolo version 3.2.0
SUPPORTED IOC Bolo version 3:2:0
Supported bootloader
Installing unit 2 System
Operation on etfs : start for unit System
Updating ifs partition 0
update ifs done 1
Updating IPL partition 0
update ipl done 1
Updating ifs partition 1
update ifs done 2
Updating IPL partition 1
update ipl done 2
Updating ifs partition 2
update ifs done 3
Updating IPL partition 2
update ipl done 3
Updating IPL partition 3
update ipl done 4
Operation on etfs : stop for unit System
Installing unit 3 System Data
mmc driver operation start
Unable tostart mmc driver successfully
ret_code 7
ERROR: Unable tostart mmc driver successfully
Software Update failed, see log for more details
Eject USB for RESET

#18 ·
Once the dealer found out I tried to update the head they assume anything wrong is my fault. It progress's thru the first two
packages and then won't start package three. Couldn't get answer from them about what the error 7 meant.

********SOFTWARE UPDATE LOG********
Starting Update
Total units to update: 8
Installing unit 1 System Check
Power sense circuit Ok
dev-ipc operation start
Requesting swdlToyotaManager for IOC Version
IOC version received
ioc application version 1.6.18
ioc bolo version 3.2.0
SUPPORTED IOC Bolo version 3:2:0
Supported bootloader
Installing unit 2 System
Operation on etfs : start for unit System
Updating ifs partition 0
update ifs done 1
Updating IPL partition 0
update ipl done 1
Updating ifs partition 1
update ifs done 2
Updating IPL partition 1
update ipl done 2
Updating ifs partition 2
update ifs done 3
Updating IPL partition 2
update ipl done 3
Updating IPL partition 3
update ipl done 4
Operation on etfs : stop for unit System
Installing unit 3 System Data
mmc driver operation start
Unable tostart mmc driver successfully
ret_code 7
ERROR: Unable tostart mmc driver successfully
Software Update failed, see log for more details
Eject USB for RESET

#21 ·
There is a new Entune update available as of 8/20/15. It is version 5.1. There is a thread already discussing this update:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/310-7th-generation-2012/1183874-new-entune-update.html#post9840634
Thank you BoltsFan, It was when I was trying to do update 5.1 that I got hung up. I read your posts on that thread and appreciated them. I posted my problem on the generation 7 forum. Do you think I should repost it on the forum you mention. I didn't want to hijack someone else's thread.
AMetcalf

#25 ·
No problem. If you haven't tried disconnecting the battery to reset the head unit it may be worth a try.
Thank you for the suggestion. The service rep at the dealer says they tried that and it didn't work. I believe they did because the time on the clock is wrong. This morning I happened to think, "The radio station presets have not changed." Any car that I have dealt with, disconnecting the battery resets the radio stations to default. In fact I bought a couple of gizmos to prevent that. Is it possible that the mechanic disconnected the battery but didn't leave it disconnected long enough to reset the radio? Does anyone know if disconnecting the battery on these entune systems resets the radio station selections. If that is the case how long should the battery be disconnected to do that? I suspect that if I am going to 'reboot' the radio it needs to at least reboot the radio presets. Any ideas?
Thank you, AMetcalf

#27 ·
Well I disconnected the negative cable for an hour. When I reconnected it the radio stations had reset but I still got the message that the radio is in the update mode. I plan to call the other dealer tomorrow and see if they have any ideas.
Thanks for your input.
AMetcalf

#28 ·
Yeah I didn't disconnect the battery that long - maybe 15 minutes at most. Post what you find out after talking to the dealer. If they are not cooperative then call Toyota Customer Service and open up a case as they can assist you with an uncooperative dealer.

#29 ·
BoltsFan, Thank you for your continued interest. I will let you know after I go to the second dealer on Friday. I really haven't found the dealer I was working with to be uncooperative. I do most of my own maintenance but on major things I have been using them for over 20 years. I just think that Toyota may have designed a radio that is so complicated that normal, bright service people do not understand it. The second dealer said that if they can't figure it out they will call someone further up to see if they can figure it out. The fact that the radio, cd player, backup camera, tire pressure indicator and several other things work make me think that the hardware is good, it is just a bug in the software program. Does anyone know what programming language the software is written it? I don't plan to use the entune system. I just want to get back to where I can get it out of the software update mode so that screen doesn't block the use of the radio and backup camera.
Thanks again, AMetcalf

#30 · (Edited)
Can you confirm which audio system you have, the Display Audio w/nav & Entune or the JBL system? I didn't see that info in your other posts. Keep in mind that the JBL system updates differently than the DA system.

I went back and saw in your other post that the nav and voice commands did not work when you bought the car back in May. Did you point that out to the dealer back then and did the car come with any kind of warranty? If the head unit was defective when you bought it and the dealer did not inform you of that then they are liable unless you bought the car "as is" with not warranty from the dealer.

#34 ·
Here is an update on my situation. After reading as much as I could on line and the excellent input of Boltsfan I am 99% sure that it is the extension module that has gone bad on my radio. I cancelled the appointment at the second dealer because whether they charged me or not to troubleshoot the system I'm sure they would have had at least an hour tied up in the project. I don't know what their shop rates are but I would say a minimum of $100/hour. That is almost 1/3 the cost of one with the extension module that I ordered on E Bay. There are several good videos on YouTube that show how to change the radio so when the new (used) radio gets here in the next few days I will put it in and see how it works. I did take my radio out far enough to make sure it looked like the one I bought and the VIN number of the car that the radio came out of shows that it also was a 2012 Camry.
AMetcalf

#35 ·
It Works! It Works!

:laugh: Last Friday I ordered a radio with an extension module on E Bay from LKQ. After I ordered the radio I remembered it would be good for me to have the VIN number of the vehicle that it came out of. I wrote and asked if I would be able to get it. To my surprise they quickly emailed the number to me on Monday which was a holiday. I got the new (used) radio today and thanks to YouTube and the wisdom I gleaned from BoltsFan I installed the radio and it worked as soon as I turned it on. I realize now that the radio that came in the car when we bought it wasn't working right from the beginning. Now that we have a radio that works I need to figure out how to use all the fancy stuff.
Thank you BoltsFan for the encouragement I received from you.
AMetcalf

#36 ·
:laugh: Last Friday I ordered a radio with an extension module on E Bay from LKQ. After I ordered the radio I remembered it would be good for me to have the VIN number of the vehicle that it came out of. I wrote and asked if I would be able to get it. To my surprise they quickly emailed the number to me on Monday which was a holiday. I got the new (used) radio today and thanks to YouTube and the wisdom I gleaned from BoltsFan I installed the radio and it worked as soon as I turned it on. I realize now that the radio that came in the car when we bought it wasn't working right from the beginning. Now that we have a radio that works I need to figure out how to use all the fancy stuff.
Thank you BoltsFan for the encouragement I received from you.
AMetcalf

Glad I was able to help and happy to hear it worked out for you. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.