Toyota Nation Forum banner

2015 XSE not prewired for homelink? How to install.

11K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  OldMajorDave 
#1 ·
Hey everyone!

Went from a 2011 SE to a 2012 SE to a 2015 XSE. 2011 had homelink in overhead console. 2012 did not have convenience package but was pre-wired for the auto dimming mirror with compass and homelink so I purchased and installed one in about 10 minutes 3 years ago.

Knowing the 2015 XSE I was getting didn't have the convenience package either, I removed my homelink mirror and reinstalled the stock mirror before trading it in so I could install my homelink mirror in my new car.

Guess what? My 2015 XSE is NOT prewired for the homelink mirror!?!?!?

Now I can only assume that because my 2015 also doesn't have a power moonroof like my 2012 did, that this is the reason the wiring harness must be different.

Instead of tearing apart the A pillar and running a switched power source to the overhead console, I found an easier method. I would like to share this information for anyone else in the same situation:

The overhead console on cars without power sunroofs still has map lights that receive power and ground. There is a 20 pin connector that plugs into the console that has only 6 wires if your don't have a power sunroof. The Pin #'s are listed on the back of the connector.

Pin #1 which has a white wire with a black stripe is ground. Pin #9 that has a solid yellow wire is 12V+. The homelink mirror has 2 wires. Solid black is ground. Black with the red stripe is 12V+. I simply used 10" lengths of new wire as jumpers and used wire taps at each end of the jumpers to attach the power and ground on the respective wires of the mirror and console.. The length allows the wires to go around the console because it is a tight fit when the console is installed overhead.

Although the 12V+ source is not switched by the ignition and is constant power, the ECU shuts off power to the circuit 20 minutes after the last door is closed so the mirror will shut off and not drain the battery. Also the mirror draws little current so the circuit will not overload even when both lights are used at the same time as the homelink..

I personally garage my car every night so the fact that the homelink receives power as soon as a door is opened does not affect me. If you do park your car in front of your house, remember that your homelink would power up if someone breaks into your car and opens a door, but that would only be the same risk as having a remote garage door opener clipped to your visor.

I searched several forums to find this solution but came up empty. I wish to share this information to help future searchers.

Have a great day!

See less See more
#6 ·
2015 LE: By doing a little fishing, I was able to run three wires down to the fuse box without taking anything apart. Everything is out of sight. Now I have homelink powered all the time and the mirror and compass on switched power. There is a long thread on the autodimming mirror started in 2011 for the 2012's that includes a little info on the 2015"s.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/3...ll-auto-dimming-mirror-home-link-compass.html

#7 ·
There is a long thread on the autodimming mirror started in 2011 for the 2012's that includes a little info on the 2015"s.

I guess I should have looked at all 17 pages....

Funny, I saw that thread 3 years ago when I got my 2012. I looked at the first few pages and saw very old dates so I didn't think it was relevant to the 2015 model. Had a read a few pages at the end I would have seen someone else pointed out the ground and power wires on the connector that I referenced.
That would have saved me a whole lot of time had I seen that page. That was the sole purpose of my post because I couldn't find anything about wire schematics to help me figure out which wires to tap into and I wanted to save future searchers the grief.

Hopefully this thread with title keywords "2015" and "homelink" will help others searching current threads.

#14 · (Edited)
I have read through all those 17 pages and honestly, they are not as helpful as this thread because that thread is pretty old and people there are mostly talking about Camry before 2015 where there is still pre-wired. No one ever mentioned this new 6 wire connector in 2015/2015 Camry. Anyway I still posted my question there. I guess I can always run the wire down to the fuse box without knowing the specification of this new connector.

well, found one that is helpful.
Confirmed that 2015 camry xse do not have that extra harness. I have to tap constant power from yellow wire from the top console. White/black wire for ground. I have to run the Ign power from the fuse box.

#18 ·
The Gentex mirror comes with three wires, I assume 1 ground, and two power (one for compass, one for homelink). If I tap into the console lights, do I tap twice into the yellow (power)? Or did you put one quick connect on both power wires from the mirror?

Thanks for the great write up!

#19 · (Edited)
You should not tap both the power wires from the Gentex to the same wire in your car. If you do that, either your Compass will always be on or your Homelink will only work when you turn the key to ON- provided you've tapped into a wire that supplies power.

The 3 wires on the Gentex are for Switched Power, Constant Power, and Ground. The Switch Power wire should only have a current when your ignition is turned to ON. Constant Power should be tapped into something that always has a current. Ground is... for ground. You can easily check the current states of wires in your car with a multi-meter to see which are the correct wires to tap into.

#20 ·
Just FYI, but if you check the installation instructions for the 2015 (here), the ground is tapped in the drive side A pillar harness, and the two power wires are spliced together and run down to a single power source. From the directions I can’t tell if the power source is switched or un-switched, but I’d guess switched (i.e. mirror, compass, and Homelink only work with car on). Given the system installation checklist at the end of the guide however, it also appears that the mirror will be fully operational with the key in the accessory position.

At-any-rate, it’s at least nice to have a guide… LOL…so you know what you’re deviating from.

Best, Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.