Toyota Nation Forum banner

Battery Issue Post Remote Starter Install.

745 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  sethr 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I recently installed a remote starter from Fortin. During the install, I had difficulty making connections work without severing wires and during the troubleshooting, I ran the battery down to approx. 4 volts. It took me 2 weeks. Anyways, I ended up cutting and soldering the wires I needed and the install turned out very well, very clean. Soldered wires and all shrink wrapped.

Recently, I am having a similar starting problem to when I killed the battery during my remote starter install. The car's electronics have been shutting down when it gets colder during the night and in the morning when I go to start the car it's completely dead for a second. The other day I had to open the car with the key! :wtf: if I wait a little bit with my foot on the brake it comes back to life like normal. The car has 14000 km on it. I can't take it to the dealer because I am afraid they'll blame the remote starter and void my warranty. I'm 99% certain the battery is the culprit so I ordered an Odyssey Extreme battery to replace it. I live in Edmonton and it gets to be -29 with wind chill during the winter so I'm certain I won't be disappointed regardless.

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts... don't worry about hurting my feelings.

See less See more
#2 ·
I had an Interstate on my truck that did that. I put a charger on it overnight, disconnected, re-connected a few minutes later.
Each time the charger showed the battery low. After three or four overnighters like that the battery was fine. It has been all summer and through -15 deg mornings. It may have been sulfated from getting low.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.