Toyota Nation Forum banner

How to install HID in hybrid.

3K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  molson.david 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all,
After reading a few of the LED/HID threads I got so excited that I took advantage of XenonDepot's July sales and got LEDs and HIDs for a 2016 Camry Hybrid. The LED DRLs were easy to install, but the HIDs I have no clue. The 12v battery is in the rear of the car so where would I connect the relay harness power supply to?

Any tips? Steve from XenonDepot said that I ordered the right ones for the Hybrid, but I need some advice on how to install it properly.

Thanks

BTW: On a related note. The LED DRLs with the PWM kit worked great. No flicker and the highbeam functions work.

#3 ·
Installed the HID today without the relay harness.

Everything worked, but here's a dumb question. What do you do with the clear plastic cap that protects the light during shipping? I couldn't figure out how to remove the screw side with the hole that the wires run through. I ended up just securing them and leaving them on the wires.

Here's the pics. First, left is OEM, right is the 4300K HID from XenonDepot

With the LED DRLs/Highbeams, also from XenonDepot. Passanger side is still the OEM low beam.
https://s32.postimg.org/4tk2wn951/IMG_9594.jpg

#4 · (Edited)
Looks so much better...

I also received my kit this past week and plan on installing with the relay tonight.. I wanted to see/take pics of before and after so im waiting until it gets dark.

Does anyone know how to cure the problem of the squirrel spotters.. I saw some pics of some mods but I am wondering if the headlight must be removed to get to them.

Edit: fixed squirrel spotters, see post page 67 of HID thread.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/3...id-led-lighting-upgrades-67.html#post11454777

#13 ·
I advise everyone who have an HID PNP to remove them. Halogen projectors are engineered specifically for H11 bulbs and nothing else as they will blind incoming traffic.

The Camry halogen projectors are one of the best if not the best engineered optics I have seen so far. Its not as bright as one would like but the beam pattern and reach is unsurpassed. When you put in an HID bulb, it screws up the beam pattern and does not look good at all.

If you want to cleanly have a brighter and whiter headlight, youre going to have to take apart the entire headlight and install an HID projector.

#14 · (Edited)
No. But LOL @ scare tactics.

PnP HIDs look great in the Camry OE halogen projectors. While you're right retrofit will perform better, you're drastically exaggerating regarding Camry OE projectors. But you're entitled to your opinion.

Reactions: JamieM10
#16 · (Edited)
You serious? Scare tactics? What exactly am I exaggerating about agian?

Firstly, PNP KITS are illegal and things are illegal for a reason emmkay.

Aesthetics of PNP in halogens is entirely subjective so I cannot comment on that. But iill comment anyways and IMO PNP looks groce as hells. Besides the color, the intensity and washed out look don't look good at all mang.

Fact is, projectors are ENGINEERED around the light source and not the other way around. That means you cant just stick any type of lightbulb into a projector.

Again, the OEM halogen projectors on the camry are the best Ive seen. I have no clue how I was exaggerating about that.

BTW, you can contact XenonDepot and ask them the legality and if they are a legit business, they will tell you that PNP is suited for OFF ROAD use only and in country sides. They will also tell you that PNP can be used in halogen projectors but shiiit, give me $100 and I can also say the same thing.

-Guccimang

#20 · (Edited)
@tunaman816 - Thank you for taking the time to post up feedback. As per your response:

(1) "The Camry halogen projectors are one of the best if not the best engineered optics I have seen so far" -- what are you basing this statement on? What sort of testing and comparisons have you done?

(2) Your comment " it screws up the beam pattern" -- how so?

(3) Do you have any first-hand experience with installing an HID kit in a Camry / Toyota projector?

(4) Legality - We have a whole section about legality on our website in our Automotive Lighting Buyer's Guide -- you should read though it before commenting on what we tell our customers.

(5) "It may or may not be illegal but the repercussions of installing an OEM HID projector versus PNP are vastly different"? - what does that even mean? Can you please clarify?

(6) You may want to consider showing a little more respect to the moderators that run this board. You've been on this board a month with whopping 5 posts and are already being disrespectful? don't see this going well for you.

Lastly.... Some people (@GreatAvalon) actually take the time to prove a point by posting RELEVANT information:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/3...ndepot-xtreme-hid-kit-review-5000k-4300k.html

Steve

#21 ·
I'm helping my buddy whole seller and drove a lot of different cars in the past year and while IMO Camry's halogen headlight sucks big time, they are no worse than any other halogen projectors on the market. From all close competitors only Accord is falling out of the group and has one of the worst low beams IMO. LED lights on more expensive trims of the affordable cars just a hair better and provide a bit better short distance light, but lack any long distance and bad weather vision. Some premium cars like A6, A7 have great LED lights, but neither Camry or Acura TLX worth an extra dollar.
Any PnP kit (same as any other modifications to the OEM lights) are illegal and can be dangerous. I've seen cars with melted fuses, connectors and burned wiring (one of them a few years old Camry) and heard about a case when someone got into an accident cuz his low beam fuse got blown and he lost his low beams on a small two lane road. I had my share of experience with PNP on my cars and my friends cars and installed more than a dozen of different kits and while I understand that for many ppl (especially those who never had retro) cheap is good, I would use PnP only as a temporary measure and prefer to save a little and get me a steak instead of big mac.
The best possible solution to improve your low beams is to retro your headlights with some good HID projectors. Yes it's still illegal, but between illegal and pretty much useless and dangerous PnP and illegal OEM HID projectors retro that even in a base form dramatically improves short and long distance and bad weather vision I would go (and I went more than once :)) with retro.
I spent a few weeks in Europe where PnP started "world revolution" some 15 years ago, but about 5 years ago police got really tight about PnP HID lights there and almost completely eliminated them. They even can confiscate your car and add a fine on top of that if they catch you with PnP and lot of cops got good at detecting fake HID's. I really wish US cops would start doing the same. I'm not sure about other areas, but in DFW and OK I see tons and tons of idiots that proudly shine their PnP and blind s..t out of oncoming traffic.
Save a few 100's and do a retro.

#23 · (Edited)
Im not here to troll or attack anyone so lets get that out of the way and get back on track.

What I've said still stands. Ya cant stick a D2S bulb inside a projector designed for an H11 bulb. Headlights and the bulbs are a lot more complicated then they look.

If you guys want to see a NEW, practical, and aesthetic mod, stick around because im in the making of the thread. Its about light, but not the headlights. :grin:

#25 ·
What I've said still stands. Ya cant stick a D2S bulb inside a projector designed for an H11 bulb. Headlights and the bulbs are a lot more complicated then they look.

If you guys want to see a NEW, practical, and aesthetic mod, stick around because im in the making of the thread. Its about light, but not the headlights. :grin:
Actually it can be done. I experimented with the OEM halogen projectors and real D2s bulbs and if you modify the base of the H11 projector you can use D2s and results are pretty impressive (compared to halogen and even PnP), but considering the time and results any good HID retrofit is a much better investment imo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.