Toyota Nation Forum banner

Performance out of a Camry?

7K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  Moondoggy-X 
#1 ·
OKAY! I know! "It's a Camry". But let me ask a few questions before you bash me!

Right now my DD is a 2003 Honda Accord. I used to have it lowered but now it's back to stock. I never modified the engine I didn't see the point in a 160hp 4 cyl. I have 140k miles and really considering a different car.

In the last few years I bought a BRZ and have been using it for mostly track driving. And it made me kind of outgrow my Accord. I have destroyed the brakes a few times. Have worn out/replaced a bunch of suspension parts. Starting to have some oil burning. etc.etc.

So I want a new DD in the next year or two. My first choice at the moment is a WRX. But I want a car that doesn't stand out much. And I thought the Camry would be a perfect car in the department. Tons of them out there.

And that is the point of my post. Is there aftermarket performance support for the Camry? I know its an auto and it might blow up, but since its common I'm sure there are a bunch of used parts I can swap in my driveway.

Particularly since I "spirited drive" I am curious of aftermarket "BBK" and power upgrades for the v6 (such as supercharging).

I know most people will probably tell me to look at another car but just wanted to explore my options.

Thanks for your time.

See less See more
#2 ·
We are in same boat here, I have the 16 xse I4 theres isn't much I upgrades on the engine as far as i know(I COULD BE WRONG), only thing that pops out of google are the exhaust system or maybe even the headers in which I couldnt find one online which means it has to custom build, I talked to a local shop here in my town and they do custom exhaust and headers they offered to built custom exhaust system larger pipes, aftermarket mufflers. My goal is to get little bit more power(HP) for the car since the stock pipes are restrictive(though I am not expecting 20+hp )

#3 ·
Thanks for the response. I wouldn't buy the 4 cyl for that reason. I know from my accord. If there are bigger engines, all the aftermarket goodies will be made for the bigger engine.

That is why I am looking at stuff that is factory turbo or has a stock bigger engine. I'd prefer a "under the radar" car like a camry with a v6 if I can get some aftermarket upgrades for it. Otherwise I am stuck with the boy racer stuff that will draw attention to me on the road.

I look forward to some more replies.

#4 · (Edited)
Maybe I should expand a little on my inquiry.

Are there even tuning options for the Camry? I know there are a bunch of options for my BRZ so I guess I take it for granted.

The first questions answered should really be this. Can I tune a Camry? Is software available?

And for the record I'm not trying to make a dyno queen. Just something with a bit more HP than a stock car. Maybe 50-100.

#5 ·
Maybe I should expand a little on my inquiry.

Are there even tuning options for the Camry? I know there are a bunch of options for my BRZ so I guess I take it for granted.

The first questions answered should really be this. Can I tune a Camry? Is software available?
Lol im keeping an eye on this thread and mines for the exhaust upgrade. I dont want mines to growl loud when driving and tbh, 178hp is good for me as a daily but again just wanna have some little fun with it:)

#6 · (Edited)
There's not much available because there really isn't a tuning solution. Personally I got a 16 SE for rock solid daily driving reliability and will be getting a motorcycle for fun soon enough.

This is coming from someone who had a 15 and 16 WRX. Terrible cars..... Check out the factory boosted FA forums on Nasioc. My early 15 sometimes wouldn't start, go into first, go into reverse, burned oil, audibly knocked when driving spiritedly causing it to pull power and hesitate, would heatsoak and hesitate to accelerate from a stop "very dangerous." This was all stock, properly broken in and at 6k miles. Thought I had a lemon and got a 16 which was great for 2k miles before it started having similar issues which the dealer couldn't fix, so I said forget it. I checked hoses, did the danzo fix etc etc, no luck.

You would really be better off getting a new Accord since they have Flashpro support, of course you would have to deal with the CVT but IMO it isn't "that" bad.

Edit: I'm not bashing all WRX's or any STI, just the newest model wrx, IMO the older ones seem to be more reliable with less issues out of the box.

#10 ·
Edit: I'm not bashing all WRX's or any STI, just the newest model wrx, IMO the older ones seem to be more reliable with less issues out of the box.
This is coming from WRX owners:

The EJ25 engine is not really reliable. Owners experienced several oil gasket seal leaks and the engine is outdated.

The new FA20 engine in the new WRX are actually better and improved but people don't know why Subaru decided to keep the old EJ25 engine for the STI line up.

Regarding aftermarket support. You will find more support in an alcoholic rehab than you would for aftermarket parts for the Camry. There are literally none other than suspensions parts.

Engine parts does not exist unless you go universal parts and fabricate it to fit.

For the I-4, you might have better chance since it shares the same engine with the Scion tC. Fitments might be off but it can be fixed through a good mechanic or muffler shop.

For the V6, there are none. Not yet that is.

#7 ·
Any engine mods for the tc2 will work on the camry. The header you would have to mess with to get a perfect seal on the flange. As for exhaust, Megan racing makes some for non se models, there was also j2. As for tuning, ovtuning in San Diego has came up with a solution.

#8 ·
This is for the i4, OP did say he'd prefer the v6. IIRC, with the 2gr-fe, Area47 achieved a 10 whp improvement by replacing the y-pipe (dyno'd with a K&N filter and his y-pipe). You can probably get a bit more with a full exhaust and headers. As for supercharging, the vvti may make that a bit difficult due to the lack of tuning. In regards to tuning, things are starting to happen. Here on the Lexus side, the IS-F was finally tuned, and then the 350/250's were tuned as well (2gr-fse/4gr-fse respectively). This should eventually trickle down to the 2gr-fe offered in the Camry and other Toyota's/Lexus's.

As for the Accord, the v6 is still offered with a 6 speed so no need to worry about the CVT.

#11 ·
Theres tuning solutions. AEM has it and if you can afford it, its there.

Theres turbo kits available for the Tc which like said, is the same engine as the camry.

I wouldnt spend hundreds of dollars for a header, tuning, exhaust just for a measly 10hp.

If you have 5 grand laying around, you can buy the turbo kit, then pay for the torque converter to be modded, then have it tuned.

Youll have a faster Camry than the V6, but at the cost of roughly 6-7 grand by the time you get everything needed.

(This is why I bought a car where I wouldnt start modding it)

#12 ·
My suggestion would be to test drive the Camry XSE V6 and see if it's fast enough to be your daily driver without engine mods. You can always upgrade the tires for better grip in your spirited driving runs.

#18 ·
^^^

Like another member mentioned a spare ECU would be a jewel while experimenting with a Toyota tune if you have all the equipment on hand to get the car to recognize it without grief.

With my V6 XSE, I would love to have a powerband that hit like a 2 stroke 250 motorcrosser or like our YFZ 450 :) for weekends

#19 ·
^^
LOL the powerband is there.. Its just attached to a 3300lb sled.

V6 will have a more noticeable feel than a 2.5L..

So after poking around the site, this Matthew can tune Mazda and Ford (which is moreor less the same) and now collecting money for this Toyota project..

Hold your cash till this is proven on the dyno graphs and someone has some short term/long term feedback.

#26 ·
I'm one of the idiots who had money to throw around for this. I did well in the market this summer so I just cashed out a bit for this. "F*** IT" was exactly what I said. I don't think there would be any feedback or dyno graphs if there weren't people willing to risk it. But I'll gladly provide the short/long term feedback.

#21 · (Edited)
Honestly, the sky is the limit for the 2gr-fe V6 since it is used in a ton of Toyotas, the Lotus Evora, and is a popular motor swap for MR-2s . The question is how much you're willing to spend. If your're looking for a daily driver with a little extra zip, the V6 Camry, plus the available bolt-ons will more than fit the bill. The 2012 and newer Camry v6's are 14.1 stock, and with a few mods you can have yourself a 13 second grocery getter! Your first mod should be light weight wheels and max performance tires. They will change your driving experience from acceleration to cornering and braking. Then go with the aforementioned MKC performance y-pipe, the K&n c.a.i. and swap out the mufflers. Then get the car tuned. Ovtuning does seem to be the only company offering a reflash, but there's different packages so check out the site yourself. As far as piggybacks go, a lot of Toyotas use the AEM FIC 6. User Myxalplyx has a 2gr-fe Rav4 and managed to get a lightweight crank pulled and port and polished throttle body. There are currently no direct fit headers available, though. Probably because of the placement of the cats and o2 sensors.

Now if you want to go beyond that, head over to Monkeywrench racing for upgraded engine and transmission components like pistons, port and polished heads, upgraded valve bodies, etc. There's a supercharger kit I've found for about 4k, but I've yet to find a turbo kit.

#24 ·
[/QUOTE]=madapaka1323;11484450]Ok, good to know. I was on a different thread and one of our members said the megan exhaust does supply an aftermarket kit ... are you able to confirm that? If you happen to know. The thread btw is "what did you do to your camry today "http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/310-7th-generation-2012/396824-what-did-you-do-your-gen-7-camry-today-468.html 7th gen of course[/QUOTE]

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/3...at-did-you-do-your-gen-7-camry-today-468.html

Ya, I understand

http://toyotaofmcdonoughparts.net/products/00016-32063-toyota-camry-dual-exhaust

http://www.meganracing.com/products/product_detail.asp?prodid=2170&catid=15

#25 ·
I clicked the link on the MEgen kit..

Im not sure I like the muffler design as IDK if its a flow thru type or just the typical chambered muffler.

I know the J2 muffler on ebay has been pulled from ALL vendors who were selling it.. IDK why. I was planning on using it to build a dual exhaust.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361384177819

#31 ·
Big thanks to everyone taking a chance and being guinea pigs for the OVTuning ecu reflash! I more than understand Esoteric Image's skepticism, seeing as I was burned on a throttle body spacer and Jet Performance Maf sensor just this year. Still, the Toyota ECU was only recently cracked, and someone has to take the first leap. If the reflash does even one of the things it claims, its worth the $400 price tag and then some. Granted, on a stock vehicle, it wouldn't do much, but if you have intake and exhaust, especially the y-pipe, this reflash would come in handy... IF it works as advertised... Again, big THANKS! Please keep us posted!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.