Toyota Nation Forum banner

Help me decide if my 2015 Camry lease has flopped on me

3K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  got-rice 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone! First time posting a thread here. I leased my blue 2015 Camry SE intending to buy it after the lease. It was actually a few thousand less to lease first. I have a mod plan for my Camry that includes tinted windows, lowering springs, 19" wheels, mildly tinted tail lights, and a 6.5" kicker in the rear deck.

I don't want to do any of that before I buyout the car. I wanted to buy the car new under $20,000 initially. I think it was around $25,500 before taxes. The lowest I could get the car to was $23,000 at the time. There weren't any incentives being offered. I ended up doing a 36 month lease special on the same car I wanted and negotiated 45,000 miles at no upcharge which dropped the buyout to $14,500 from $15,600. I had a $750 college grad discount and with some negotiating the total price before taxes was a little over $20,000. I rolled all the taxes and fees on the lease into the payments. With 18 months left I owe $17,600 on the car with the buyout included. I currently have 13,000 miles on the car and at my last service the dealer offered me $16,800 for the car.

I really want to at least tint my windows at the moment but at $14,500 on the buyout I don't think my car will be worth that at trade in with current prices. I have waxed the car every couple months since I bought it and take great care of it. I really can't stand the look of a stock car though. I would wait for the wheels regardless until I needed new tires so I'm not waisting a set of tires but I don't want to tint the windows or modify the sound system and end up trading the car in in 18 months.

With the current prices on autotrader i feel like I could end up getting a different Camry certified preowned in 18 months for less money and have an extended warranty. With how low the miles are on my car I feel like $17,600 today is still a decent price. Something cheaper down the road probably won't be in as good of shape as my car and as low miles. I guess I'm glad I didn't buy the car because the total price was cheaper on my lease and I'm not tied to it if the value doesn't hold.

What do you guys think, am I still in good standing on this lease? Should I just tint the windows and maybe lower the car and swap the stock springs back if i trade it in? The front end wheel gap really gets to me lol.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd say tint the windows if you want, that's only $300-350 (for ceramic) so if you return the lease then you're not out too much. I'd probably wait to modify the suspension and sound system until you know you're going to buy it out. So far, where you're at in your lease is about right. Negative $800 18 months in is about expected on a Camry priced where yours is.

Reactions: cb91710
#3 ·
Tints these days goes around $95-$200. I don't understand why people spend more than $200 on tints. You can get a nice set of lowering springs for that money.

#4 ·
As far as mods go, it's definitely smart to wait until you own the car.

As far as price goes, 9 out of 10 times it is unwise to buy your lease. You'll end up paying on the car for roughly 7 or 8 yrs depending on when u decide to buy it. Your lease buyout is always more than what the book value is and who honestly wants to buy a car for more than its worth? Plus don't forget if you purchase your car for 17k, you have to add tax to that.

My personal opinion is, wait a bit longer. Pay down your lease and then either purchase something for a better price, or lease another car that you love. Although anytime you lease you'll be somewhat limited in what mods you can do. Remeber too, if you buy your lease outright, you can't negotiate the price of the buyout

#13 ·
Leasing isn't always a bad idea, just need to be careful. First off, make sure you negotiate the price of the car in the same way you would if you were buying the car. If you don't negotiate the price of the car you're leasing, it's pretty much like not negotiating the price on a car that you're buying. Second - when the lease is a few months away from being over, call the lease company, ask them if they're willing to sell it for less. It may work, it may not. Depending on whether or not your salesperson is still at the dealership you bought your car from, and your relationship with them, you could speak to them about end of lease options, and buying it for less than what the buyout is.

I've done this one a car (not a Toyota) - special ordered a car, got the dealer to base the lease off of the TrueCar price (about $4k less than sticker), a few months before lease-end, I tried calling the leasing company to talk about lease buy-out, they didn't budge, called my sales consultant, spoke to him, and he worked it so that my buyout was about $2500 less than what outlined in my lease paperwork. Since I'd paid taxes on the purchase price of the car at lease inception, I didn't have to pay again once I bought out the car (this part varies by state).

More than likely, what the dealer will do with the car once turned in is to clean it up, and resell it themselves as a certified pre-owned. If you talk to them about a buyout, they may be willing to work with you since it's less work for them.

#5 ·
Its TINT, TINTED OR TINTING, Not TINTS.. This applies for DEER and not dears.. But for good name brand tint, they have raised their prices with the better quality of tint. Also, Usually the shop which offers tinting done gets broken off, the tinter gets paid, so on and so forth. Unless you get some cheap place that warranties their tint (like I did) with lower quality tint, I paid 110 for my tint and still looks the same. Llumar and 3M will be higher of course. But just like in life, every has their hand thats trying to reach in your pocket.
And springs are 200ish.. But installation is 50/corner plus 80ish for alignment. which put you in the ball park of 500.00

Anyways, you have to look at the buyout in your leasing contract. Sometimes the price is already set. Some are priced over what the cars value is. So you have to keep an eye on the KBB and black book value.

You used to be able to negotiate the price at the end of the lease as the dealership would have to pay for ispections, detailing, auction fees, etc. to turn it around and re-sell it.

#8 ·
If you are keeping the vehicle for it's full lifetime, get the high-end quality Tint. If you are returning your car at the end of lease, use the lowest quality tint or mid grade.

#9 ·
It is a lease or more to the point you are renting a vehicle. Don't do anything to change the way it was when you signed lease. Let lease term run and turn it in and do something else. Don't do another lease if you feel it necessary to lower vehicle.

#10 · (Edited)
I dare you to find a good quality ceramic or crystaline tint for 200 all the way around. It cost me over 200 just to have my windshield done with ceramic or crystaline.

now some dye based tint ofcourse 200 is over priced.

Why would you modify a lease if you dont keep it? ofcourse i dont understand why anyone would lease a car they intended on keeping in the first place.

#12 ·
I can tell a huge difference. Honestly I prefer the ceramic over the crystaline in terms of heat rejection. But the crystaline is totally clear and doesnt have any wierd effects from wearing polarised glasses.

You cant even compare metalised/dye tint to ceramic/crystaline the highend stuff is that good. And the price reflects that difference. You can get the same heat rejection or better in a lighter tint with the highend stuff.If you want limo black the highend stuff isnt for you.

#17 ·
My 2015 Camry XSE v6 was bought in June of 2015 and I went to trade it in at a Ford dealer in December of '16 and was only offered $12k in which I politely turned down and sold it privately for $15,250 granted it had 102k miles and had a dent and a cracked windshield... The car had an MSRP of $35,148 and I paid $26,700 OTD... Was kind of disappointed with the trade in value.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.