Toyota Nation Forum banner

What are you paying to change the transmision fluid?

3K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  Esoteric Image 
#1 · (Edited)
Called Toyota and was quoted about $200 to flush the fluid in my 2012 Camry 2.5L.. Brought it into the dealer who did not want to flush it, instead wanted to drop the pan and change fluid (7 quarts fluid), add 2 magnets and pan gasket which ended up costing almost $400. Person who quoted the original price was from a different location which sets up appointments for the local dealerships.

Got the same spiel previously from the dealer stating this does not need to be done for 100K but I told the dealer I want it done because I expect to drive it 200K. I am at 80K.

After seeing the process on U-tube the dealer now goes through just to check the fluid, I can understand why this is a $400 job. They previously did the flush for about $200. This was before they came out with the ridiculous process to check the fluid level at operating temperatures. Hopefully the engineers can correct the design on future generations. My 2013 Highlander has a dipstick and my 2004 Ford Explorer has a tube in the pan just like the Camry but temperature compensation of the fluid level is not needed.

#2 ·
.. Brought it into the dealer ....

Not to bring you out of your dreambubble, but... you only take anything to dealer if you only aim is to get screwed... and engineers wont 'correct' the fluid reading procedure... its done that way on purpose... its called 'planned obsolescence'...

Drop your pan and drain/fill your own fluid at 60k intervals... :)

:)

#3 ·

And just because they drain it, doesnt mean theyre going to road test it to get all of the old fluid out of the solenoids and let the new fluid in, then drain that, then do the proper re-fill.

Reactions: sethr
#4 ·
And just because they drain it, doesn't mean they're going to road test it to get all of the old fluid out of the solenoids and let the new fluid in, then drain that, then do the proper re-fill.
I have always done my own repairs and maintenance (except alignments and tires) but do not do anything while under warranty so there is no question if there is a problem. We have the 125K mile warranty on the converter which they provided to all the Camry owners. If the converter grenades the rest of the transmission, hope this will be covered as well.

#5 ·
Who cares if they warranty it.. if it takes a shit right after the warranty ends, now what do you do?

Every transmission must have fluid changes for longevity. Toyota didnt engineer some miracle fluid that doesnt need changing. Nor did they engineer some miracle solenoids or clutch packs.. Contamination is still there.

If you plan on keeping the car, then do the 50-60K PROPER fluid change.

EDIT: 200 bucks every 50k is nothing compared to replacing a inferior transmission.

#8 ·
Spot on... furthemore engineers design components to break just outside of the warranty window with 'dealer recommended' maintenance... cars have been around long enough for everyone to know that you change the oil every 3k-7k, the tranny fluid every 40k-60k, pcv valve every 30k, belts every 60k and so forth... unless there is some drastic change in the design of theise components (and there's not) then using trandional maintenance practices with some basic common sense is all you need...

dealers on these 'sealed transmission' recommending 'no fluid drains'... lol.... I can see the poop-show now when the warranty ends on those... its a slient war people... gotta use your own head.. otheriwse you get screwed... dog eat dog out there... never will change... 0:)

:)

#6 · (Edited)
It was changed by dealer at about 40K then 80K and will continue to do about every 36K. Unfortunately now it is $400, not $200 to have them change it. They told me they have to now drop the pan and this is what it costs if I want it done. They would also clean the screen and add the magnets. They would not flush it using conventional equipment for $200

In my opinion still cheap insurance but will be doing myself when out of warranty.

#9 ·
Go to a LOCAL, non-corporate meachanic and have him drain the fluid... the price will be closer to $200... ask your neighbors for who is good/trusted/reputable... dropping the pan to drain tranny fluid is hella common on nearly all cars since the 1940's.....:laugh:... so there's nothing 'odd' about the job..

#13 ·
200$ for 15mins of work, and ~45$ in fluids?

LOL

Go to an independent. I'm not going to post the same reply I do in every thread, but there's a really easy way to do it, that my mech has done to many, many vehicles with these sealed units, going back to the original sealed ones [~2004 Lexus LS' series]

#14 ·
Mounting and balancing is quite laborish, requires a bubble balancer and even then its not spot on.

alignments require a sting placed into the groove of the tire with a pointer weight. (like fishing tackle) then you measure the front of the tire and rear of the tire for toe.

Whole thing is a pain in the ass. Id rather watch jerry springer in the waiting room than have to go thru all that BS needed. Especially crawling under the car to turn the end links

#15 ·
Mounting tires- gone as far as putting a 2 by 6 against the tire and driving my other car on it to break the bead. Decided for $15 I will let the people with the right tools do it.

Balancing- never tried

Alignment done by eyesight- if you look down the side of the tire sighting the rear tire in the distance, the front and rear sidewalls on the front tire should line up with the sidewall of the rear tire. Have done this to bring it in close enough after replacing parts then brought to a tire dealer for a proper alignment.

#16 ·
One dealer gave me the "no need " kabuki dance. When I balked, a drain-and-fill was quoted as $300. No pan drop.
Then she gave me, That's only 4 quarts so it won't do you any good."
I gave her, "Thanks for showing what you don't know about transmissions."

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

#21 · (Edited)
When i did my 2013 i think between the filter and totoya fluid and the extra magnets it was about 100 dollars in parts and then doing it myself.

It takes longer than 45 minutes to do a pan drop service on the camry.

Taking the drain bolt out and the little plastic straw out still leaves quite a bit of fluid in the pan.

And yes these transmissions have a filter despite what everyone else thinks. And no its not some little metal mesh screen.

You dont need all those fancy toyota tools but you do need a way to measure the fluid temp to get it right. Specially if you change the filter because you cant possibly get all the old fluid out to measure how much drained. You could get close though.

Their is only a million threads about this why we need another is beyond me.

tires..... i dismount and remount and balance my own. I have a stand made up to spin balance it. I do good enough job that way to not have any vibrations up to 155 mph which is the fastest i have ever been on my bike.the bubble balancer works fine too. Those electronic spin balancers are faster not better. I have seem them be off more than doing it the old school way. They claim you need to balance the inside and outside of a tire but its funny how they seem to put the weights only on one side or in the middle of the rim.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.