Need help choosing the right Camry year - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

7th Generation (2012+) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2012+

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 02-13-2017, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Need help choosing the right Camry year

Hey guys. I am thinking to upgrade from my 99 camry to 7th generation one. Just not sure if there were any Camry years that I should stay away from? 4 cylinder or 6? What common problems sorten years may have? I appreciate any help with that. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 02-13-2017, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Here's one of many threads on the subject:
Camry v6 or i4

KitaCamry: an 05 J-vin LE 2.4/5-sp manual tranny with 17" Italian rims!....Enjoy your J Y T Y
The Following User Says Thank You to kitacamry For This Useful Post:
DPFAST (02-13-2017)
post #3 of 29 Old 02-14-2017, 02:31 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I just picked up at 2014.5 SE 4cyl.

I didn't like the body lines or grill of the 2015+ so this is a personal preference.

As for power I am completely satisfied. The 4cyl has plenty of get up and go and is definitely cheaper than the 6cyl.

I chose the 2014.5 because I wanted the factory back up cam.

I also bought certified used from Toyota for the added warranty.. good to ease anxiety.

Factory 18" rims look good too

The Following User Says Thank You to Chim- For This Useful Post:
DPFAST (02-14-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 02-14-2017, 03:28 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
My two cents

I have 2015 Camry SE since 05/2015. No problem so far.

Personally, I feel 2.5 I4 is enough power. Easily accelerate to 100 MPH. 2015+ V6 maybe quieter and smoother though, it has laminated noise reduction windshield.

However, I am 95% satisfactory with the car. 5% reduction because of the Entune audio system. It can not play MP3 music by folder. No smartphone support. In 2016 and 2017 model with Entune plus you can have the Scout GPS link, connect your phone to your car display and you get navigation. I wish my car had it.

Also consider a car has smart entry and push button start, they are not standard on lower trim of Camry. I kinda regret I did not get that feature (package) in my car. I think it can ease your everyday driving if you are going to own the car like your previous Camry. 18 years?

Or do you consider waiting for the new 2018 Camry?

I hope these help!

2003 Corolla LE
2015 Camry SE

Last edited by HHAH; 02-14-2017 at 03:32 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to HHAH For This Useful Post:
DPFAST (02-14-2017)
post #5 of 29 Old 02-14-2017, 06:33 PM
BeerSteakTxas

Thanked 1,025 Times in 851 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chim- View Post

This is the best looking color and wheels Camry ever had. Period.
I had a 2012 and 2014 2.5 LE and loved both cars. The 2.5 has plenty of power and great fuel economy and sounds better than most of 4 cyl engines. My 2012 had a few oil seepage spots around timing chain and valve cover that got cured over time and a few creaks from the stereo HVAC blocks that I fixed myself. I wasn't satisfied with the original brakes and swapped the OEM rotors for EBC Ultimax and Wagner TQ pads. The OEM halogen low beams were too weak for my liking, so I retrofitted them with real HID projectors. Over time I've added sound insulation, 17" wheels, fogs, much better than OEM Pirelli tires and after all that it was a pretty much an ideal car imo.
I'm driving a 3.5 XLE now and of course love the extra power and effortless acceleration, but all these extra HP gotta eat , so I'm averaging only 20 MPG. If you like extra power- get a Camry with 3.5, a very few ppl want a V6 family car these days, so they are just a bit more expensive than the 2.5 models.
DPFAST likes this.

2014 XLE v6 classic silver
B-Quiet/Pioneer/Beltronics/BlackSys/25-20-5 Tint
WagnerTQ/EBCultimax
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to molson.david For This Useful Post:
dholscher1971 (02-17-2017), DPFAST (02-14-2017)
post #6 of 29 Old 02-14-2017, 06:37 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson.david View Post
This is the best looking color and wheels Camry ever had. Period.
I had a 2012 and 2014 2.5 LE and loved both cars. The 2.5 has plenty of power and great fuel economy and sounds better than most of 4 cyl engines. My 2012 had a few oil seepage spots around timing chain and valve cover that got cured over time and a few creaks from the stereo HVAC blocks that I fixed myself. I wasn't satisfied with the original brakes and swapped the OEM rotors for EBC Ultimax and Wagner TQ pads. The OEM halogen low beams were too weak for my liking, so I retrofitted them with real HID projectors. Over time I've added sound insulation, 17" wheels, fogs, much better than OEM Pirelli tires and after all that it was a pretty much an ideal car imo.
I'm driving a 3.5 XLE now and of course love the extra power and effortless acceleration, but all these extra HP gotta eat , so I'm averaging only 20 MPG. If you like extra power- get a Camry with 3.5, very few ppl want a V6 family car these days, so they are just a bit more expensive than the 2.5 models.
Good info! Do you have a link for your headlight upgrade?
post #7 of 29 Old 02-14-2017, 08:38 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
I've had both a 14.5 se and currently a 17 se. I personally like the 17 alot better. While it's not a total overhaul, toyota made some really nice improvements in the 15-17. If I were you, I'd try and find a used 15 or 16 xse. You can't go wrong
The Following User Says Thank You to steptide For This Useful Post:
DPFAST (02-14-2017)
post #8 of 29 Old 02-14-2017, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:

I didn't like the body lines or grill of the 2015+ so this is a personal preference.

As for power I am completely satisfied. The 4cyl has plenty of get up and go and is definitely cheaper than the 6cyl.

I also bought certified used from Toyota for the added warranty.. good to ease anxiety.

I love the rims and the color of your Camry. Did you buy it from the dealer? Whats the milage and how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?
post #9 of 29 Old 02-14-2017, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHAH View Post
I have 2015 Camry SE since 05/2015. No problem so far.

Personally, I feel 2.5 I4 is enough power. Easily accelerate to 100 MPH. 2015+ V6 maybe quieter and smoother though, it has laminated noise reduction windshield.

However, I am 95% satisfactory with the car. 5% reduction because of the Entune audio system. It can not play MP3 music by folder. No smartphone support. In 2016 and 2017 model with Entune plus you can have the Scout GPS link, connect your phone to your car display and you get navigation. I wish my car had it.

Also consider a car has smart entry and push button start, they are not standard on lower trim of Camry. I kinda regret I did not get that feature (package) in my car. I think it can ease your everyday driving if you are going to own the car like your previous Camry. 18 years?

Or do you consider waiting for the new 2018 Camry?

I hope these help!
Thank very much for the info. I am very big on a great sound system and a definitely I have to be able to connect my Android phone to it. I've upgraded my 99 Camry radio to an Android system and i am not sure if I could live without it anymore, very addictive so I wonder if would be possible to upgrade the stock head unit with an aftermarket one or would that cancel its warranty on the newer Camrys?
post #10 of 29 Old 02-14-2017, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by molson.david View Post
.......The OEM halogen low beams were too weak for my liking, so I retrofitted them with real HID projectors. ......
Didn't the Camry come with projectors for the low beam already installed from the factory? Wouldn't be just enough to install the HID kit and use its own projectors? Any idea if switching to a Morimoto projectors would create a better , wider light pattern?
post #11 of 29 Old 02-14-2017, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steptide View Post
I've had both a 14.5 se and currently a 17 se. I personally like the 17 alot better. While it's not a total overhaul, toyota made some really nice improvements in the 15-17. If I were you, I'd try and find a used 15 or 16 xse. You can't go wrong
I wonder if the 17 prices would go down before they launch the new 2018 Camry body Style. Would it make sense to wait until the end of the year to get better price? 4 or 6 cylinder. I work myself on my cars. Which would be easier to work on?
post #12 of 29 Old 02-15-2017, 12:34 AM
straight cash homie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2314 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPFAST View Post
I wonder if the 17 prices would go down before they launch the new 2018 Camry body Style. Would it make sense to wait until the end of the year to get better price? 4 or 6 cylinder. I work myself on my cars. Which would be easier to work on?
Camry sales are tanking now like most of the other sedans (Its an SUV market), so there are plenty good incentives right now if you want to get one immediately. You can wait to see if they go down even further, but it might be slim pickings usually when they sell down the old model.

Honestly, I don't think either of them (or any pedestrian Toyota) are more harder to work on than the other unless you are intending to tear the engine down (4 vs 6 cylinders), which the Camry is not likely to need for the typical span of its lifetime.
post #13 of 29 Old 02-15-2017, 05:17 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Quote:

You're the proud new owner of an SE Sport
post #14 of 29 Old 02-15-2017, 06:13 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by denzyota View Post
You're the proud new owner of an SE Sport
Yup

I have had a 2008 Camry SE which I didn't keep that long cause I wanted a 4x4. Then later I got a 2011 Corolla S 5-speed.. which was gutless and small... I have been driving a 3rd gen 4runner for a while now and wanted to keep the miles off of it and modify which led me to this new Camry
post #15 of 29 Old 02-16-2017, 12:29 PM
BeerSteakTxas

Thanked 1,025 Times in 851 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Good info! Do you have a link for your headlight upgrade?
They are home made.
RX 350 STI-r lenses Retro Retrofit HID DIY

2014 XLE v6 classic silver
B-Quiet/Pioneer/Beltronics/BlackSys/25-20-5 Tint
WagnerTQ/EBCultimax
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 7th Generation (2012+)