Non Brand name tires on 2015 Camry SE - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

7th Generation (2012+) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2012+

1Likes
  • 1 Post By fast

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 02-17-2017, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Non Brand name tires on 2015 Camry SE

Hey guys I want to purchase a Certified 2015 Camry SE that has 35,000 miles on it but noticed the tires are not the typical Bridgestones or Michelin's that are offered with these cars, instead its a no name brand called Lion Sport. I looked it up and can't find much reviews on it. Test drove it and can't notice a difference but do not want problems or unnecessary tread wear a couple months later so I was wondering is asking for new tires in a situation like this acceptable OR does anyone here have experience with 'Lion Sport' tires?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-17-2017, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Low priced tires are dangerous at higher speeds, in the rain, (poor tread design), in cold weather (rubber hardens)...etc.
I guess they'd be okay off highway @ city speeds on dry pavement if you don't brake hard...

I would implore the dealer to replace them with BRAND NAME tire....It's a CPO car (at likely a premium price) and deserved a premium tire...
I'd look at the tires the dealer has on new cars, and I'd say, "I want those!"

KitaCamry: an 05 J-vin LE 2.4/5-sp manual tranny with 17" Italian rims!....Enjoy your J Y T Y
post #3 of 12 Old 02-17-2017, 07:25 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Let Google be your friend. There's a lot of info on the web. Lion Sport seems to be an inexpensive tire brand - tires in the area of $60.00. If you are buying from a Toyota dealer, I would suggest insisting on a name brand - (but not Bridgestone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-17-2017, 09:53 AM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycohen View Post
Let Google be your friend. There's a lot of info on the web. Lion Sport seems to be an inexpensive tire brand - tires in the area of $60.00. If you are buying from a Toyota dealer, I would suggest insisting on a name brand - (but not Bridgestone)
Amen: A few clicks of the mouse reveals that these cheap a$$ tires don't even come in the normal 215/55/17 size (I assume this car does not have 18" wheels). The retailers that sell them don't look like they hang out in any crowd you'd want to be associated with.

The website is bare bones with no meaningful information and gives a Key West FL area code/exchange. Maybe these these "fake spec'd tires" were brought in off the boat illegally.

One of two things here. I am guessing that this car was either:

On a two year lease and the tires were bald so the owner replaced them with something less than they would be charged for turning in bald tires.

or

Dealer does not care about safety of customers and installed "counterfeit" tires.

Either way, unless it's a really great price, I'd run away from this deal because there is probably some "behind the scenes" info you may not ever find out about unltil it's too late. Possible abuse by prior owner .... maintenance records ????

Edit: The first two 0W20 synthetic oil changes were free under Toyotacare so hopefully the prior owner took the car in on time. They key is to make certain that the third oil change with 0W20 synthetic was done at 30,000 miles. Have the dealer run the car's VIN for you because the maintenance history is readily available. You can do it yourself on line if you know the car's VIN.

Last edited by Paul3637; 02-17-2017 at 10:39 AM.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-17-2017, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Well it looks like the vehicle was just 'serviced' 2 days ago according to the carfax report. And it was listed for sale 8 days ago as a CPO for $15,800. Is the dealer able to view more maintenance records with the VIN?

I test drove the car and it drives good and the exterior/interior was in better shape than expected. It was a rental as all the CPO's on the lot.

I'm going to look at it again and ask for Pirelli Cintuarto A/S + tires.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-18-2017, 08:52 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
When my 2015 SE's lease is over, I'll turn it in. It sure has been a great car, I just don't need it any longer.

I will put the least expensive set of tires on it I can find, because the tread depth will require me to do so, or, pay a excess wear penalty. I bet this happens a lot.

post #7 of 12 Old 02-18-2017, 10:12 AM

Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
When my 2015 SE's lease is over, I'll turn it in. It sure has been a great car, I just don't need it any longer.

I will put the least expensive set of tires on it I can find, because the tread depth will require me to do so, or, pay a excess wear penalty. I bet this happens a lot.
Good point...still, an upgrade to better (even if not the best) tires would be a fair bargaining strategy...a savings of $500 on tires that would provide 3+ years of a better/safer ride making for a more satisfying purchase.

KitaCamry: an 05 J-vin LE 2.4/5-sp manual tranny with 17" Italian rims!....Enjoy your J Y T Y
post #8 of 12 Old 02-18-2017, 10:15 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitacamry View Post
Good point...still, an upgrade to better (even if not the best) tires would be a fair bargaining strategy...a savings of $500 on tires that would provide 3+ years of a better/safer ride making for a more satisfying purchase.
Oh, I 100% agree with you! I'm just reiterating that tire quality is an important factor in buying a used car...especially one just coming off lease, like mine will be.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-18-2017, 10:21 AM

Supreme Member
When I got my Camry it came with 2 new cheapo tires up front and used garbage tires at the rear that I replaced with used "pull-offs" matching the front within a month of purchase...but while the cheapos were okay in Florida, a year later I was in freezing rain up north and the tires slipped like crazy...they were replaced a couple of months later when I upsized from 15 to 17" alloys...

...and if I had a leased car I'd just put on used matched tires (@ $15/per) when returning the car.

Last edited by kitacamry; 02-18-2017 at 10:24 AM.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-18-2017, 03:59 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
This is what these stupid ass dealers do to un-informed buyers, sticking them up with what ever they can to save few bucks. Ask them to see the CPO check-list and share this link with them. Do not hesitate to ask them to replace those tires with OEM kind or they can find another buyer.

Knowledge is power and you did the right thing by coming here and asking.

http://www.toyotacertified.com/inspection.html
Paul3637 likes this.

New to TOYOTANATION but not new to the internet auto enthusiast community.
post #11 of 12 Old 02-19-2017, 01:05 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
LOL @ "counterfeit"

They're just typical Chinese tires.

Geostar, comforser, Nankang [most known of the bunch], Sunny, Linglong, I just saw a new set called Jinyu - on a brand new Accord Touring

I see them all the time, dealers, which are privately owned are able to install whatever on a vehicle as long as it falls within "Safety standards" per the state/province/city/whatever and the tech signs off on it. In Canada, many dealers will offer "free winter tires" as a bonus, you guessed it. The "free ones" are the chinese variations, if you wish to get Michelin's/better you'll pay for them...

Depending on your state, it may or may not be more cost effective to go with generics, or it was the original leasee that put them on in your case.
If super concerned ask to see or look up "safety" laws that the tech needs to sign off on in your state. Honestly, a lot of times it simply requires: no holes in floor, no loose suspension/clunking, working lights/wipers, no detached body panels/mechanical components, a crack in windshield on PASS. side no bigger than 12" and round tires with a min of 4/32", and no uneven wear.

On the note of chinese tires,
I've had a set of "nankangs" way back in the day, at the time 18" tires were still an expensive buy, these were 550$ all in.
Were they chinese? Yep.
Did they drive great? Yep.
In fact I even got caught in a surprise snowfall on my summer-only chinese tires and they performed great.
Better than the Maxxis I was stuck with a year later...

post #12 of 12 Old 02-19-2017, 08:23 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotEm23 View Post
Well it looks like the vehicle was just 'serviced' 2 days ago according to the carfax report. And it was listed for sale 8 days ago as a CPO for $15,800. Is the dealer able to view more maintenance records with the VIN?

I test drove the car and it drives good and the exterior/interior was in better shape than expected. It was a rental as all the CPO's on the lot.

I'm going to look at it again and ask for Pirelli Cintuarto A/S + tires.
It sounds like you are on the right track. The price for the car sounds fair .. except for the tires.

I assume you know the 2018 Camry will be complete "ex-change" with a longer wheel base. Future Camry's will suck ..... but there is always another sucker to buy a used Camry on Craigslist:i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 7th Generation (2012+)